• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ambient temp gauge sender

Thanks....

This sender appears to be for the digital gauges in the 900/850. Is the same one used for the analogue 240 gauge?

This was posted by Dave Shannon on the brickboard

"Volvo used a VDO water temp sender for the air temp gauge. Long ago I found myself with 3 gauges and only one sender so I went to a local parts house and the guy looked up the number. The egauges/VDO part number is 323-095 it's a 1/8"x27 thread 250 degree sender ~$7.00. I tested it against the stock Volvo sender and it's an exact match reading wise."

Anyone else go this route?

Cheers

Cheers

I have one. In a box. Somewhere. :cool:

Wonder if there is a part number on it? But no, nothing like the one in the pic, it looks much like an engine temp sensor with a small L bracket on it. Brass or copper, one wire.
I wish I could find a place to put it in my 745 :(

edit: This is a VDO sender, couple numbers on it.

"120'C" "801/8/2" "6-24v" "8 82"

That's it.

Last edited:
Hey all,
I've got the above gauge and tracked down a sender (thanks). The car is the 84 turbo. I've heard mention a number of times of the yellow wire that should be a part of the wiring harness... terminating under the battery. I can't track down this wire! My harness has been replaced.... so could this perhaps be the reason? Do the replacement harnesses also have this wire?

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being an idiot and overlooking it before running new wires.

Thanks!

Hey all,
I've got the above gauge and tracked down a sender (thanks). The car is the 84 turbo. I've heard mention a number of times of the yellow wire that should be a part of the wiring harness... terminating under the battery. I can't track down this wire! My harness has been replaced.... so could this perhaps be the reason? Do the replacement harnesses also have this wire?

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being an idiot and overlooking it before running new wires.

Thanks!

Are you looking for a wire to hook up the sender? Pulling a new wire from behind the bumper to inside the passenger compartment took me a grand total of 10 minutes, including hiding it behind the harness and battery. The sender attaches pretty perfectly in a pre-existing hole on one of the front bumper mounts.

Ya, definitely not a huge deal... but just hoping to not have more wires running around than needed.

Is your sender attached to a bracket which is then attached to the bumper mount?

I've only got the threaded sender.

Thanks

Ya, definitely not a huge deal... but just hoping to not have more wires running around than needed.

Is your sender attached to a bracket which is then attached to the bumper mount?

I've only got the threaded sender.

Thanks

The car I pulled the gauge and sender from had a bracket, but I pulled about four muscles just getting the sender out, so the bracket got to stay.

Just be?ng sure, what is the exact number or type of the sender that can ALSO be used for it..?!

"120'C" "801/8/2" "6-24v" "8 82" ?!

or just hook it up to the coolant sender when it's cold and it should read the right temperature?

Just did a little experiment, by the looks of it. it works fine using my B20 coolant sender...

in degrees C. After degreasing it I rinsed it under the tap, leaving it pretty cold. As soon as I hooked it up to the cars battery, it read almost 15C. , which is plausible because of the tapwater temperature.

I took my wives hairdrayer (she?s out at the moment..) and held it at some 15 cm?s from the sensor still at the batteries ground connector, it steadilly went to just over 40. Again plausible for you would burn yourselve otherwise..

After some 10 minutes cooling down it?s at about 26c? and very slowly dropping. At this set up it?s not mounted so only cools down by air and sitting against a cool battery connector..

The temperature outside is at the moment 23c. so in the shade it says right now (I just went out again..) 20-21c.

By the looks of it this is accurate. Bassically the only critical temperatures are around 0C. but then again, one should use gauges like this only as a reminder and one has to use common sense in winter conditions. The red LED pops up at about 5C anyway...

So I will now make a decent bracket and hide it under the fender or the like (do not use a bumper..).

So no more searching for overpriced "ambient sensors" ..

You can calibrate those gauges. There is an adjustment pot on the side of the gauge can. Going from memory, the pot is hidden under the plastic lug on the side of the can. I am talking about the white plastic lug that aligns the gauge in the dash.

Have one mounted under the bumper and it reads too high in the summer. Correct in the cooler months. Going to change mounting to the core support. Before changing to new sender.

Just did a little experiment, by the looks of it. it works fine using my B20 coolant sender...

in degrees C. After degreasing it I rinsed it under the tap, leaving it pretty cold. As soon as I hooked it up to the cars battery, it read almost 15C. , which is plausible because of the tapwater temperature.

I took my wives hairdrayer (she?s out at the moment..) and held it at some 15 cm?s from the sensor still at the batteries ground connector, it steadilly went to just over 40. Again plausible for you would burn yourselve otherwise..

After some 10 minutes cooling down it?s at about 26c? and very slowly dropping. At this set up it?s not mounted so only cools down by air and sitting against a cool battery connector..

The temperature outside is at the moment 23c. so in the shade it says right now (I just went out again..) 20-21c.

By the looks of it this is accurate. Bassically the only critical temperatures are around 0C. but then again, one should use gauges like this only as a reminder and one has to use common sense in winter conditions. The red LED pops up at about 5C anyway...

So I will now make a decent bracket and hide it under the fender or the like (do not use a bumper..).

So no more searching for overpriced "ambient sensors" ..

I have the same one but also no sender, I need that damn sensor!!! Anyone willing to ship it?

I have the same one but also no sender, I need that damn sensor!!! Anyone willing to ship it?

if you go my way, you can order the coolant sensor at the dealers or parts supply shop (or a yard..), otherwise there is a possebillity and order an ambient sensor used for VDO Marine gauges, I suspect no one has tried yet. They cost between 20 or 25 USD I guess.. I don't see why these "marine" gauges should be any different. If it works, anyone can order it there..

But for now this is the cheapest way, just has to work ok..

Back