• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Official East v West 2010 Thread

Yeah, if you can put down sub 2 second 60ft times that will help. Drag racing it about a good launch and good shifts and then your overall power is what makes it go on the big end where traction isnt the issue anymore.

WEIGHT REDUCTION is also a huge factor. These cars weight about 3300lbs+ stock. The guys putting down fast time on stockish gear pull out at least 300+ lbs of stuff. The thing about that is your car gets light and lifts up on the suspension and it doesnt really grab as well. I am still experimenting with this.

Basically you wanna run as much boost as your turbo can efficiently make and do whatever you can to avoid knocking and let 'er rip. I did about 45 passes, yes 45 passes, the last night I did the local 1/8th mile strip about 2 years ago and it was good times. I am sure guys that get more experience will only get better times. Seems lots of guys get only 4 runs in at an event and post their best one.

I also am not convinced 16vt is the way to go. It likes high revvs, but isn't the stump puller down low that a stock ECU'd 8v turbo is.

Weird, my 16vt has more lowend torque than is actually usable to about 90 mph on street tires.

http://webpages.charter.net/muddybiker/Volvo/Gateway 10-12-10/GIR_10-12-10.JPG
(scanner makes huge pics, it looks horrible when I try to shrink it with paint)

13.291@104.85

Wasn't running *quite* right on that run, a little sputtering, I'd tweaked it a little and was getting ready to run a 3rd time when the car spat the alternator/water pump belts off, just idling in the line. Ended my night while I waited for my wife to drive some belts and tools over. I've gotten 104mph traps before with less HP, but another worrisome thing is that with the engine running stronger, the clutch is finally starting to show some signs of weakness. I had a little slipping on the shifts on that 13.2 run. Not much at all, but I may be reaching the limits of the Clutchnet red PP and Kevlar fill circle disc.

Car was getting goo launches, though. 1.9 and 2.0 60' times, better than I've generally gotten before. Perhaps even though the G80 locker doesn't seem to do much on a rainy street, it is at least working enough to make a small difference? I noticed last night that on each ahrd launch, the rear hatch washer nozzle was pissing out some water. :lol: I guess the G forces acting on that long tube leading up to the front end?

One thing I realized last night... 1st gear with a m46 is basically useless with decent power. I couldn't get it out of 1st fast enough, I was banging off the rev limiter all night.

One thing I realized last night... 1st gear with a m46 is basically useless with decent power. I couldn't get it out of 1st fast enough, I was banging off the rev limiter all night.

I almost never even got into boost with my M47 and the 3.73 rear end, and that was with a 16T that spooled pretty quickly.

15lbs of boost, manual transmission (m46)

60' 2.113
330' 5.899
1/8 8.966@80.75
1000' 11.620
1/4 13.863@100.5

nice time!

http://webpages.charter.net/muddybiker/Volvo/Gateway 10-12-10/GIR_10-12-10.JPG
(scanner makes huge pics, it looks horrible when I try to shrink it with paint)

13.291@104.85

so how's that heebspeed tune holding up? (on a side note, I'da thought it would have trapped faster, but I suppose in a completely full weight wagon it might not be quite as fast as my sedan was back in the day)

nice time!

:rockon:Thanks Kenny. I didn't think it was too shabby for a skinny rod block running on unchipped lh 2.2. I had to resist turning the fuel cut up so I could keep upping the boost. That fuel cut is like my parole officer, checking in to make sure I don't do anything stupid.:lol:

so how's that heebspeed tune holding up? (on a side note, I'da thought it would have trapped faster, but I suppose in a completely full weight wagon it might not be quite as fast as my sedan was back in the day)
Feeling strong! The only thing I'd changed for the third run was to smooth out the edges of that fuel map, bumped the boost up a tiny bit. And I'm starting to notice that the car runs better when it's fully warm, the sputtering seems to happen when the car is slightly cooler. Not sure if that's still an MS gremlin, or something about the way E85 evaporates?

But yeah, last year I trapped a 104 at 13.8, and the car def. feels faster now. Just needed to get that one clean run down the whole 1/4 mile, but the alternator belt disappearing trick made me stop at 2 runs. Probably for the best, I don't feel like doing a clutch any time soon, I'd rather wait, redo the MS triggering so I don't need a crank sensor any more, and get a lighter flat flywheel of some sort.

Is everyone logging in and setting an account up and posting their times?

IF you do not want to setup an account please do let me know and I will post up the time and details for you

I also am not convinced 16vt is the way to go. It likes high revvs, but isnt the stump puller down low that a stock ECU'd 8v turbo is.
Kind of contradicts what you said before. I want the quick spooling torque that I can use from 2000rpm so I don't have to run my loud 3" exhaust out to 5k+ to make it go quickly. That's one thing that annoyed me with the n/a...always sounded like I was trying hard when I'm just trying to keep up.

15lbs of boost, manual transmission (m46)

60' 2.113
330' 5.899
1/8 8.966@80.75
1000' 11.620
1/4 13.863@100.5
Looks exactly like mine:
http://www.pbase.com/towerymt/image/119426421.jpg

Is everyone logging in and setting an account up and posting their times?

IF you do not want to setup an account please do let me know and I will post up the time and details for you

I've entered mine twice and it's not showing up. I don't have "proof" yet, ie a timeslip photo. Does it not "take" if you don't enter anything?

Ok. I'll have to scan my slip tonight.

:edit:
Here you go.
13sTimeslip2.jpg

Posted a video here too:
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=3407758#post3407758

Last edited:
Yay, 66 more points for the west courtesy of the red wagon from Colorado. Cmon Easterners. Get to racing!

:werd:I have gone to the track once a month since I started(only twice, gunna be three times this weekend) and always post up about going. I can barely get anybody to go/race. I'm packing my **** up and moving further south.

Damn, I need to step it up. I should have a new time on the 30th.

Also, why is there two times for the same person? Seems that you should only get to submit your fastest slip of the year.

That is not the leader board, that part is not done and still in the works. THe way it it supposed to work you can list all of your times over the years to keep a log/listing of what you did and it will only pick the best time from each year to go onto the leader board

Oh, cool. Sounds good and It still looks like the West is handily in the lead though.

That is not the leader board, that part is not done and still in the works. THe way it it supposed to work you can list all of your times over the years to keep a log/listing of what you did and it will only pick the best time from each year to go onto the leader board

Back