• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Air vents not blowing when accelerating

jvluntzel

Hi All!

trying to figure this one out. When I accelerate or hold throttle going up a hill, my air vents inside stop blowing air. I am assuming this has something to due to the fact that the engine is in a 0 vacuum state and some actuator is moving when it shouldnt or vice versa.

Any direction on this is greatly appreciated!

iirc there is a one way check valve (black and white) on that hose from the IM that prevents such a thing.

However, you didn't list which vehicle this is and I believe your assessment may be inaccurate or mis-stated but to be clear... your vents are closing off via vac yes? Your blower motor doesn't actually stop running correct? If so, then check that valve.

Vacuum actuator for vent has a torn diaphragm. Common problem. Only source is the junkyard. Sometimes new/nos one pop up on ebay.

iirc there is a one way check valve (black and white) on that hose from the IM that prevents such a thing.

However, you didn't list which vehicle this is and I believe your assessment may be inaccurate or mis-stated but to be clear... your vents are closing off via vac yes? Your blower motor doesn't actually stop running correct? If so, then check that valve.

Easy way is to unplug it (optionally, attach a bit of clean hose) and blow air in each end. If air passes in both directions it's fukt.

If ithe check valve is working, then you have a leak somewhere else in your under-dash vacuum system. Good luck!

Drive backwards.

this is genius. I love it

Don't forget to mention, (as always) year make and model.

91 volvo 740 wagon non turbo REX

Pics of valve if you have any

Vacuum actuator for vent has a torn diaphragm. Common problem. Only source is the junkyard. Sometimes new/nos one pop up on ebay.

pics of diaphragm?

I've got a spare or two, if that's your problem.

hell yea bro. pm me

Pics of valve if you have any

34331151532_1.jpg

Not uncommon for all the air to be on the floor on a 7/9 climbing a hill with a torn vac servo I?d the check valve and all else works.

In that case,
Add a vacuum pump or crush the car, it?s not worth fixing :lol:

Now now then...that's not the TB mentality! There's gotta be a ghetto hack workaround :rofl:

I had this same issue. I installed a vacuum pump with a vacuum switch. No cutting, no cursing. Works well.

Once vac is 2<. it turns on, Once <4 it turns off. It's connected only to the vac source for the HVAC controls.

I had this same issue. I installed a vacuum pump with a vacuum switch. No cutting, no cursing. Works well.

Once vac is 2<. it turns on, Once <4 it turns off. It's connected only to the vac source for the HVAC controls.

Could you post more pictures and information?

Here are pictures of a vacuum actuator that is torn and one that is good.

41120888125_5c2c309acd_z.jpg
41301160234_1f06f174f4_z.jpg

Its easier to just replace part in my opinion.

Now now then...that's not the TB mentality! There's gotta be a ghetto hack workaround :rofl:

Ursan and I posted the work-around/hack.

Though a world where all 7/9 owners/losers would hurry up and crush those things drove kias/corollas with 100k waranties and wasted the dealer’s time would be wonderful...

Replaced them the “right” way with another near new pnw weather actuator that will just split and go bad in a few short years. Time consuming, more bother than those worthless cars are worth.

Hack in a vac pump and switch! 760s with the early auto climate control came with an aux vac can and loud vac pump anyway :e-shrug:

Last edited:
Ursan and I posted the work-around/hack.

Though a world where all 7/9 owners/losers would hurry up and crush those things drove kias/corollas with 100k waranties and wasted the dealer?s time would be wonderful...

Replaced them the ?right? way with another near new pnw weather actuator that will just split and go bad in a few short years. Time consuming, more bother than those worthless cars are worth.

Hack in a vac pump and switch! 760s with the early auto climate control came with an aux vac can and loud vac pump anyway :e-shrug:

You have a link to your thread?

Thanks! I am so glad to hear about this workaround :D

Back