• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

3 sets of fuel pumps failed

Ok, thanks to both of you, I'll get under there tomorrow. Yes Mike, new pieces are available, I got 3 off of Ebay...

I was thinking the same thing. I have a brand new Bosch instead of the Napa device now in there, can't decide. The Napa guy is still warranted but the Bosch might solve my noise issues...

Uncle, you were right, it was tough to get those rubber supports out. I did manage to get the whole tray down, cleaned it up a bit and got the 3 supports into the bottom of the tray (larger holes). Unfortunately, laying under the car I just wasn't able to snap the smaller ends into place, not enough correct leverage. For now they're just resting on the thickest part until I can get the car up on a lift and use some plastic pry tools to help them get into place.
Started the car up and while sitting inside noticed right away it was quieter so I'm keeping my hopes up when I take him for a test drive later today... Ralph

just back from the test drive. Silent for the first 1/2 hour then a hum started and got louder but not more than yesterday and no louder for the whole trip... Now I wonder if I'm just dealing with a noisy pump that gets louder when it warms not; it's not hot to the touch after the drive and is covered with a rubber sleeve.

another test drive today, about 45 minutes long running errands with 2 or 3 shutoffs in between. Same as yesterday, completely quiet for the first 30-45 minutes and then the hum starts to creep in but gets no louder and a bit quieter than before. Tomorrow I'm going to run a few errands with a jaunt on the highway on the way home. At this point, with my limited mechanical ability, I'm thinking it's the main fuel pump itself just being noisy. I ordered connectors/pigtails for my Bosch pump from Dave Barton and want to give that a try sometime next week. Why else would the pump run quiet for so long and then consistently start to make noise, to me it's not a fuel supply or power or ground issue, do you agree?

Attachments

• UnderhoodBandW-1.jpg
    UnderhoodBandW-1.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 30
My initial thought is that over time, something is making it harder to get fuel from tank to the suction side of the inline/under-car pump, and you’re hearing the inline struggle to overcome that impedimemt. Just guessing though. Sure the tank is vented properly?

Ok, I like how you're thinking (keep in mind that it has improved with the new wiring and new rubber cushions) and I'm not sure how to check if my tank is properly vented, help? R.

One thing to check -- when on those 30-45 minute drives and you start to hear the pump, stop car, leave it idling and open fuel door and unscrew the cap. See if you get a big inrush or outrush of air from the tank.

One thing to check -- when on those 30-45 minute drives and you start to hear the pump, stop car, leave it idling and open fuel door and unscrew the cap. See if you get a big inrush or outrush of air from the tank.

+1

If so, something to check is the ?rollover valve? attached to the tank vent line coming off of the filler neck (at least that?s where it was on mine). Mine was stuck/inoperable and was not allowing the tank to vent properly. I was getting the ?woosh? sound after driving and then opening the fuel cap.

Don't know how much current but I have blown no fuses since this all started. So if the tank is vented properly I shouldn't hear anything when I pop the tank cover open?

Back