• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vol240vo's '78 Beige 242

I looked at your pics a bunch trying to figure out where you live so I can sneak a peek at this but I couldn't figure it out. My best guess says somewhere up north, near whitworth. Hopefully I'll see it on the road sometime in the near future.

I was thinking South Hill for some reason, since I see so many Volvos up there, but now that I look at this again, the roads don't have enough potholes. :rofl:

I looked at your pics a bunch trying to figure out where you live so I can sneak a peek at this but I couldn't figure it out. My best guess says somewhere up north, near whitworth. Hopefully I'll see it on the road sometime in the near future.

I'm on the South Hill by Ferris HS. Should be on the road by the end of June?

From what cluster is that tach from?

1976-1980 option.

im hardly ever on here anymore, but i always take a peak at your thread when i do. this car kicks ass.

Hey guys not much for an update right now, honestly this summer I've either been at one of the many lakes near Spokane, camping, hoopfest, etc. I haven't had a lot of time or motivation to be honest. I'm still really eager to get my 242 back on the road though! These update requests definitely fuels the fire though!

Fuel lines ran and throttle linkage tackled:

DSCF5823.jpg

Filthy engine needing a bit of attention...new location for the coil and cleaned up the wiring a bit

DSCF5824.jpg

FPR:

DSCF5825.jpg

Last edited:
hey! updates! awesome! calling anything in that engine bay 'filthy' is lol worthy for me. My engine is positively revolting by comparison.

My recommendation would be to do the bare minimum to get it running and on the road again ASAP. Nothing motivates me more to work on my car than being able to drive it. It helps in a big way for me. I worked on a lot of vintage resto projects, and they weren't anywhere near as fun while the car was torn apart beyond recognition. Get it on the road, get it moving, drive it for inspiration. Just MO.

hey! updates! awesome! calling anything in that engine bay 'filthy' is lol worthy for me. My engine is positively revolting by comparison.

My recommendation would be to do the bare minimum to get it running and on the road again ASAP. Nothing motivates me more to work on my car than being able to drive it. It helps in a big way for me. I worked on a lot of vintage resto projects, and they weren't anywhere near as fun while the car was torn apart beyond recognition. Get it on the road, get it moving, drive it for inspiration. Just MO.

Agreed!

Oh man, why stick that fuel pressure regulator there? The filter and regulator should be hidden! It'd be cool to shorten the dipstick tube and dipstick too, so that it sits behind the motor and out of view.

But I am only suggesting that because I love the way this is turning out. Those carbs with open velocity stacks look sick! If you ever get that brake booster out of the way, it'd be cool to get some 6 inch stacks on there!

C26-129-202-2.jpg

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26-129-202

Oh man, why stick that fuel pressure regulator there? The filter and regulator should be hidden! It'd be cool to shorten the dipstick tube and dipstick too, so that it sits behind the motor and out of view.

WHY?? Mine are in the same exact location. easy to see and service. also, i tried the shortened dipstick.... it made me forget to check the level from time to time. you know the old saying: "outta site, outta mind", so i put a stock tube back in there. Now, when i open the hood its like "Hey boo, over here, its me...big red dipstick here" (no homo):rofl:

WHY?? Mine are in the same exact location. easy to see and service. also, i tried the shortened dipstick.... it made me forget to check the level from time to time. you know the old saying: "outta site, outta mind", so i put a stock tube back in there. Now, when i open the hood its like "Hey boo, over here, its me...big red dipstick here" (no homo):rofl:

Because the rest of the engine bay is shaved clean. He's moved so much stuff out of there, that it's a shame to see new clutter being thrown in.

Besides, when in the hell do you ever service a fuel pressure regulator on a car with sidedrafts? You just set it once and never look at it again. The gauge is completely unnecessary. In fact, you could bypass the regulator all together if you just put a Facet electric fuel pump under the car and got rid of the FI pump, because Facets only make the required pressure for sidedraft/downdraft Webers and Dellortos. Plus, they're only $40 new.

And that's just weird. I don't check my oil because I see a dipstick sitting there. I just check it every time i fill up with gas. It's pretty much the only thing I open the hood for.

Back