• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I have numerous problems

volvo4life1

1983 242 turbo, Getting 14 mpg in city, there is gas in the oil and then today when I went to check the oil it was only half full. What could cause this? Ive replaced the 02 sensor and checked the spark plugs(clean) . Its not leaking any oil and it doesn't smell like its burning any oil also it isn't smoking. oh and Im running 9psi of boost and the oil pressure gauge says 4 bar

Gas in oil means your rings have given up. I've seen at least two engines that had no other indication of anything wrong but the rings were toast and allowing gas to get by and into the oil. The wise thing to do is not run it until it is fixed. Gas thins the oil and significantly reduces the lubrication abilities of the oil.

Define better "gas in the oil". Smells? Visibly thin?

If you were getting alot of gas in the oil, wouldn't your oil level be increasing? 14mpg city is not too far off. I would do a compression test and see what the results are before I got too worked up.

My used oil typically smells a little gasy.

When I checked the oil a week or 2 ago It was overfilled and smelt like gas and was thin. And today when I checked the oil it was only half full

Ive done A bit of research and Ive heard that if I flood my engine the gas could get in my oil. So Im thinking this may be the cause. because it was really cold for like a month and my car had hard time starting. Oh and I cant check the fuel pressure cause i dont the gauge. So what do you you guys think. Should I change my oil and monitor it it or get a shop to check fuel pressure.

Did you run a compression check on the car yet? I would do that now and then go from there, if it's low, or uneven don't drive the car till you have the cylinder head off the block and take a look at the cylinder walls and the rings.

Run a compression check and then bring that info back to us.

Gas in the oil kills the rings it is not the cause of it. Yes change the oil and find the cause. It could be a temp sensor or presssure regulator problem. If fuel is in the oil you have plenty of pressure, no need to check.

Bad valve guides will do this too- but it thins the oil and kills your oil pressure right quick. are you sure your gauge is working?

K-jet stage zero- fuel pressures, lambda, timing, idle...all set to spec?

Gas in the oil kills the rings it is not the cause of it. Yes change the oil and find the cause. It could be a temp sensor or presssure regulator problem. If fuel is in the oil you have plenty of pressure, no need to check.

But he may have too much pressure, hence the gas in the oil. I am not that familiar with k-jet, so I do no know if the regulators can fail like they do on an EFI car.

What makes you think its the temp sensor?

Oh and Ive looked at the fuse box and there is a burn mark by the main fuel pump fuse, but the fuse looks fine. just thought id put that out there if it means anything and If it was running rich wouldn't the plugs be dirty(their clean btw) so that means the fuel pressure should be fine. maby the cold start injector is leaking? could that cause all this?

If the temp sensor is bad. It could give a false temp to the ECU. The ECU could think it's -40f outside and dump extra fuel to help it run in those conditions. Though if its 20 degrees f. the amount of fuel needed to run the car is significantly less. Check the resistance of the sensor from the ECU pinouts. Verify its within spec. Check out Brickboard.com they have a lot of good info over their under faq"s
_Bret

PS this might not apply to a K-Jet car. ooops

Having a burn mark by the fuse for the main fuel pump is quite common. Nothing crazy there but it is a good idea to change all of the fuses for new ones and clean the copper up on the connections. However, that probably has nothing to do with your issues.

Back