• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best options for my 89 780 Bertone?

epborden

I'm new to Volvo's and recently picked this car up for $900. For the sake of simplicity I'm thinking of rebuilding the stock engine with this master rebuild kit. I've done SOME research to try to educate myself but there is a lot to learn. Where can I find performance rebuild parts for this engine (B230FT), and what manual transmission will be easiest to swap/pair with this engine? So far sans the manual swap I've had a shop quote me around 2k for the rebuild which seems about right. My power goals are around 300-350HP, and I'll take criticism on how I can achieve that!

Why do you think it needs a rebuild?
Have you given it a good full tune up 1st?
Obviously a stock Volvo transmission would be easiest, they came with manual transmissions, look in yards or the classifieds....people selling complete kits all the time.

Why do you think it needs a rebuild?
Have you given it a good full tune up 1st?
Obviously a stock Volvo transmission would be easiest, they came with manual transmissions, look in yards or the classifieds....people selling complete kits all the time.

The engine is high mileage and has been through the ringer, it needs a rebuild. I've been looking for transmissions, which would be considered a strong pairing to this engine? I've read a few things about the M45/6/7 and their varying degrees of success. Any opinion on choosing a lesser evil?

Get a secure anti theft security device first. Your car might not be secure

oh man you bought that car? I saw it on craigslist and was thinking about buying it and went to go look at it with a master tech that I work with and he said not to, the wiring in that car is the worst man.

I didn't think you could give one of these away? What makes you think it's a target for thieves?

The owners personal information is in the glovebox. Identity thieves could potentially target the car for this. A 780 looks expensive. A thief could get confused and think the owners personal information is valuable.

The owners personal information is in the glovebox. Identity thieves could potentially target the car for this. A 780 looks expensive. A thief could get confused and think the owners personal information is valuable.

Interesting theory, gave me a chuckle, I don't think they look that much swankier than any newer Volvo. Just lacks a couple doors.

Back