• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Tires for a 1993 940 T

ktm450

OK, I did a search for tires, and came up empty. I live in Cincinnati, and our winters are usually pretty mild. This winter is been a rough one so far for us like most of the midwest.. I don't know what it is but, but this car seems to be more more prone to sliding than my 240's. I basically mean in the rain, and of course the snow. I know that it's all about the tires so, I assume that I just haven't found the right ones.

I also know, that nothing except studs will work on the ice, and that no all season tires work very well in the snow. However, there are two new all weather tires that claim that they work in the snow reasonably well. There are 2 semi new tires, the Nokian WRG3, and the Toyo Celcius. Both have the mountain, (or is it a snowflake) on the sidewall, designating it a winter tire. The youtube videos of them are fairly positive. I have the General Altimax (studdable, but not studded) on my 240 wagon, and I am reasonably pleased with them. Man, they hook up great in the rain as well! Not so great on ice but few are (except maybe blizzak and Michelin ice tire, or studs). BUT they are soft and would wear out pre-maturely if ran year round, and I don't have spare rims for this car.

It is maddening reading the reviews, and the videos, and trying to pick the right tire. I am realistic enough to know that the only way to really go well in the snow, is with full blown snow tires. If I don't pick some good tires this time, I will never hear the end of it. The last two sets of tires that I picked have been awful in rain and snow. To me, its a small price to pay for good tires if it keeps you from having a wreck.

Nokian has about 20 different snow tires. Hakkapeliitta 1,2,3,4 and on and on , WRG3, weatherproof Nordman, etc.
Thanks. Any info, suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Temper your expectations with the fact that 7-9's don't drive in the snow as well as a 200 or especially a 140 with stock 165R15
XZX pizza cutters.

If you want actual snows I've done many tough winters in Volvo's I like gislaved. Snow tires are as much about temp tho so would be good to compare against your average winter temps I guess as much as snowfall.

I absolutely love a 7 series in the snow you just have to know when the boost will kick and where the nearest empty parking lot is

I've used Blizzaks and Michelin Pilot Alpin and if you can afford them they will help you be safe out there. They were both great in the rain and dry as well as snow. I bought a more sporting size for the 240 I was using them on. I bought 205/60-15. I also switched out tires in late march and changed to the winter tires around Thanksgiving. This year I am using a bit cheaper 205-60-15 Falken Eurowinter. They are a savings. But I miss the wonderful traction of the high end tires.

Another good option is getting a G80 for your car. Or if your car has one make sure it is working. I think your car probably has one stock.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, and the link. I don't know why the "search" didn't work, when I typed in "tires" . Anyway, I had some bridgestone all seasons in the 90's that worked in everything. I remember passing all-wheel, 4x4's in the snow. I had them on a 1987 240 wagon. They wouldn't even spin taking a right turn, uphill in the rain! I know that by now, they have been super-ceded about ten times. These were true "all-season" tires. I wish I knew of an equivalent tire to them.

Redwood, could the reason that the 9/7'S arent as good in the snow be because the tires are wider? My 1993 940 has the 16" alloys, and they are very wide. Man, those XZX tires were so good in everything! Part of the reason is because they were so narrow, and the narrow tires seem to cut through the snow down to pavement rather than riding on top of the snow.

Anyone know what is the most narrow tire I can run on this rim? It has 225x55x16 tires on it now.

I am running Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8's on my Wife's car when she has to take trips involving snow or we go up the mountain and they work swimmingly! The Hakkapeliitta R2 is a great option if you don't want studs. The WRG3 is fantastic if you don't want tire change overs/wheel swaps and are traction rated and have a mileage warranty as it is an "all weather" tire.

Thanks for the info, and the link. I don't know why the "search" didn't work, when I typed in "tires" . Anyway, I had some bridgestone all seasons in the 90's that worked in everything. I remember passing all-wheel, 4x4's in the snow. I had them on a 1987 240 wagon. They wouldn't even spin taking a right turn, uphill in the rain! I know that by now, they have been super-ceded about ten times. These were true "all-season" tires. I wish I knew of an equivalent tire to them.

Redwood, could the reason that the 9/7'S arent as good in the snow be because the tires are wider? My 1993 940 has the 16" alloys, and they are very wide. Man, those XZX tires were so good in everything! Part of the reason is because they were so narrow, and the narrow tires seem to cut through the snow down to pavement rather than riding on top of the snow.

Anyone know what is the most narrow tire I can run on this rim? It has 225x55x16 tires on it now.

I work for TOYO & Nitto Tire. If you have stock 16" rims on a 9 series, check the Toyo web pages which will advise the range of rim widths that will "properly" fit specific tires. I don't recommend you exceed the range limits. Certainly a narrower contact patch will help the tire bite......when I ran 225/45/17s on my sedan it was horrible in snow.

Listen to the Canadians on tire picks. You generally won't go wrong with Scandanavian Tire Co. winter tires. I've heard good things about the Celcius tire, but have never run a set. Georgia is not the best snow proving grounds either!

I am running Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8's on my Wife's car when she has to take trips involving snow or we go up the mountain and they work swimmingly! The Hakkapeliitta R2 is a great option if you don't want studs. The WRG3 is fantastic if you don't want tire change overs/wheel swaps and are traction rated and have a mileage warranty as it is an "all weather" tire.

Hakkas are by far the best in the snow.

Blizzaks and X-Ice are pretty much tied at #2.

If money is an object, Costco has the best deals on Bridgestones and Michelins, esp with the $70 off and $.04 installation. Best to drop off the wheels loose as there have been issues with tire techs not knowing to lift RWD bricks by their jacking points.

Back