• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Seal turbo exhaust header without a manifold stud

maxitoman007

So I broke off a manifold stud while I was trying to tighten it down. And it won't come out. I've tried drilling it out but I just can't get it to work. I'm starting to wonder if the manifold will still seal properly enough to run around 20 lbs of boost without a manifold stud there. Has anyone done this?

I've tried everything, you don't want to see what it looks like now, just a big deep hole with no sign of the stud ending or where the head begins. It's a true mess. I've broken off all kinds of things in there. Honestly I'm just preying someone will tell me it'll seal ok without it so I can stop working my butt off only seeming to make it worse. It is a middle stud tho so maybe the manifold being pressed against the head on either side will seal it?

My machinist just told me to spray engine paint on the turbo to manifold metal gasket, said it would get rock hard. But I don't think it will help your situation, it's not going to seal without the fastener there. Install a 10mm timesert and drill out the manifold and the gasket.

I say give it a try, maybe with some copper RTV or something. At the worst you'll have a ticky exhaust until you find a new head, right?

Try using W?rth exhaust paste or something similar. You want a sealant that turns hard and can deal with super high temps. RTV will just melt and blow out. Not even worth trying. If you can get the seal to hold without an exhaust leak then it might hold up to boosted use. Remember that combustion pressures are much higher than the 20psi of boost you're adding.

Oh ok, any good products you know that would be available at a local hardware store (like permatex something)? Also I have 2 exhaust gaskets and I don't know which to use. One of them is four individual gaskets (one for each exhaust port) which I believe is better quality as it came with the head rebuild kit, but I also have a one piece gasket that came with me ebay exhaust heade (lower quality I believe). I'm worried that using the 4 separate gaskets will lead to the gasket blowing out on the port missing the stud as it will only be secured at one point whereas the ebay gasket could sit on all the othe studs. would the compression from the manifold hold the individual gasket in place? But I also don't want to use the cheap eBay gasket.

I think I have come to the conclusion that the hole where the stud was is so mangled that my only options are: new head or run it and pray. And my wallet only supports one of those options...

You’re faked. Don’t spend your money on magic shmoo. Talk to your local machinist. Bring pictures

Then when you get the head fixed and install that Chinabay header it will leak anyway

Hmm. I take it back since you will get leaks no matter what, run as is

Finally someone who supports me lol. My question is will it affect boost? Like can I still hit 20 psi or will the leak mess it up. Will it just spool a bit slower?

I don't think it will leak enough exhaust to make much of a difference. But you may not care for the noise from the exhaust leak.

Is the stud broken off in the head or the manifold itself? Sounds like the manifold.. doesn't much matter except when drilling the head you have to make sure to not go too deep as to hit a water jacket or anything like that. Having trouble visualizing the cooling system in a 530 right now.

Drill the broken stud all the way out, nice and clean, then re-tap the empty and threadless hole to a larger size and get a "step" stud. Not sure on factory sizing but you can get a m8 to m10 stud cheap.

I semi-recently put all new exhaust manifold studs in a V10 ford, used a LOT of acetylene with an occasional oxy blast to blow out chunks of steel. We mostly used step studs because several broke off inside the head. (vehicle had been driven into the water in Ocean City MD by a PO)

http://www.vwspares.ie/content/imag...st-stud-repair-oversize-m8m10-x-38mm_300.jpeg

Last edited:
Timesert kit. I went through a similar situation on my red car with the alternator bracket bolt into the block. Timesert fixed it very well.

Back