• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

V90, 965 strut and shock question

Forgotten update -- got my items from Ben, very nice piece of equipment. However some other projects taken earlier have kept me from actual installation. Now found a bit of time and did the rear first.

The aim was - OEM ride height but a bit stiffer and reactive. For the rear ordered Koni pair to work with factory leaf spring. Installed were Boge OEM shocks with just about 200 miles old.

Koni item proved to be 1 cm (25/64) shorter than the stocker:

shock_compared.jpg

Had to add some dust boots because having such a product exposed feels much like committing a crime. :oogle: But after the installation rear height increased by 1.5 cm (19/32), which was a sudden spot on change -- not little, not too much - just exactly what's needed, the car got clearly elated from the mod. First impressions from the ride met the expectations - rear holds the track quite a bit better, rebound controlled and actually now is damping much of the wallowing that comes from the front.

What done by the shop is one of the best cars brought to the 21-st century from good old times, so one may have best of two worlds -- a solid feel of a real car and the design art, and upgrades in the section that is actually got the most advance in car tech.
icon_biggrin.gif

--
Hopefully, updates to the front will follow.

Last edited:
What about any beefier control arm bushings as discussed by Poi? Stock bushings are junk and too soft even new. Definitely need something solid that will pivot.

Yeah, that is also my concern -- asked Ben shop, nothing in production at the moment. A bit harder suspension might extend life of those but this is not a solution. Maybe we need more folks interested to get something moved in this department.

As far as pulling a control arm goes at least it's fairly easy to pull the 95+ arms. I tried filling the bushings once with the window weld stuff. Did not work. Waste of time.

New bushing needed as OEM design and material leave a lot to be desired. However found similar topic had been brought up some time ago:

Poly Bushing

Here goes the front. Original struts/springs have 109k miles. New part has approximately same length, but quite a bit more compact in other dimensions:

strut_compared.jpg

The strut mounts is very light weight and fit pretty snug, impressive piece of hardware:
strut_in_turret.jpg

Tightening the rod nuts proved not to be an easy job though, as they tend to rotate with the rod too freely, despite the car resting on the ground. And one cannot use open sockets here because of the rebound adjustment knob:
strut_top.jpg

Stub axle mount is as precise as it can get:
strut_mount.jpg

Randomly chosen preload of 10 mm set the ride height to 15 mm higher than old OEM, which exactly corresponded to the change at the rear made earlier.

strut_side.jpg

First ride -- different world. The rest is just lyrics.

Contrary to the forecast started raining cats and dogs -- very timely since i just washed the car after the garage work.

Immediately noticeable was the difference in road behavior or better say, manners. The car holds the lane quite a bit better, with no hunting and need of taxiing up. It definitely has more bite on turn-in, and developing better grip through high speed corners. The rear doesn't sag at acceleration, and front has very little dive at hard braking now. It's just stays firm and planted.

Meanwhile rain continued. Only by big splashes and sound from the tyres did i realize that i'm actually hitting larger potholes. Came over speed ruffles - same thing, ain't feel nothing except sound from the tyres running over rough spots. Pretty impressive. Just felt a bit bouncy on middle size jumps with the 5 clicks factory setting, still 19 remaining to increase the rebound.

Taking into account the short term experience and weighing all the factors one more time, the price for this piece of equipment seem quite reasonable. If these components are able to hold the properties for at least some score thousand miles, that will be really a lot of quality stuff for the buck. And availability of options for the simpler and more advanced solutions makes it even more custom oriented and attractive.

This is not the first generation -- when i just found the shop, it carried different version. Many changes were made in the new release. What was also noticeable, the price didn't change much, so the temptation got too high :oogle:

Europe has it.

A complete set of polyurethane bushings in 80ShA (orange) or 90ShA (blue).

zestaw-tylnego-zawieszenia-mpbs-6602003.jpg

Some vendors carry separate parts as well:

tuleja-wahacza-przedniego-dolnego-tylna-mpbs-6602049.jpg

The catalogue man number for the entire kit is
MPBS: 6602003

Who wants to try it out would be welcome to the guinea pig club!
ag.gif

Prices seem reasonable compared to what originals cost here. Might have to consider more seriosly if I take V90 on the road again. Not the whole set but front control arms and rear upper control arm rear bushings at least.

Here is a complete listing what is available: http://mpbs.pl/1128-multi-link-ii-1995-

We could make a list of prospective participants with a detailed order from each, excluding shipping cost due to various destinations required. Then submit the request to the supplier and see what we can get.

Where is the pitfall?

It has to pivot, poly and rubber is similar as it doesn't pivot unless there is room for deflection, the reason the factory rubber is so weak is it needs voids to properly articulate.

A spherical in this location would be a better bet.

Back