• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Cheap Chinese tires seem okay!

ratmonster

My car is a 1992 Volvo 245. It has over 300,000 miles on the odometer, and the odometer stopped working in 2009. In all likelihood, my car has in excess of 400,000 miles.

Seeing as she is living on borrowed time, and I was in need of some affordable rubber, I purchased the best deal I could find in the size I wanted.

The tires I just took off the car were badly worn Michelin tires in the size 195/70r14. The original tire size was 185/70r14. I wanted to keep the width, but not the height, so I split the baby and ordered 195/60r14. Very, very close to original tire diameter.

After doing some online shopping, and being baffled at tire prices, I decided to check Walmart's online store. My wife works for Walmart, so we get a 10% discount. I found a tire I wanted, but while waiting for the money to materialize, they sold out of that brand and size. They were going to cost $180 for four. Also Chinese cheapies.

So looking for another tire deal in that same size, I came across the Westlake RP18. It's an all-season tire with a grip rating of AA, which is the best classification you can get.

Initial impressions: they are tires. Black, round things, made or rubber and steel belts and stuff. Tread depth is not the deepest ever seen, but I've paid WAY more for worse. Road noise seems no different than the old busted Michelins I took off. Handling seems essentially unaffected, grip feels good. Now, this is only one drive in, on dry ground. I plan on updating as I go. I'll let you guys know what I think about the quality, grip, wear, etc.

The best part, the part I've been holding back, is this - four tires for $150, including tax. You'd pay about $15 more without the employee discount. So, did I get what I paid for? Will my Chinese, bargain-priced Westlake RP18 tires bite the dust early? I'll update as I know!

Wes

cultural-revolution-poster.jpg

Chairman Mao would be proud.

You don't have to worry about rubbing till you get to 225 or screw up the offset.

Besides it's already lowered with those teeny little tires anyway.

Will my Chinese, bargain-priced Westlake RP18 tires bite the dust early? I'll update as I know!

The tyres already blew out and you careened off the freeway into a michael-bay esque explosion. You're already dead, this is Purgatory.

BS aside hope they work out for you. I remember how the last discussion on cheap Chinese rubber went...

What is the tread rating?

Here's the info from the tire sticker"

Westlake
195/60r14
Standard load
86H
Black sidewall
TL
UTQG: 500 A A
M+S

So I guess I misunderstood previously, the Tread Wear rating is A, and the grip rating is A. I was mistakenly combining the two ratings, like a neener head.

I think you'll find that even major tire companies are now manufacturing at least some of their tires in China.

Westlake
195/60r14
Standard load
86H
Black sidewall
TL
M+S

So I guess I misunderstood previously, the Tread Wear rating is A, and the grip rating is A. I was mistakenly combining the two ratings, like a neener head.

I'm not sure that 195/60r14 is the best choice for a 240. Probably 2 sizes too small.

Speed rating is good. Tire wear seems good too. Can't beat the price. Not like your putting your car on the track.

Westlake
195/60r14
Standard load
86H
Black sidewall
TL
M+S

No.

500 is for tread wear, aka, tire is hard.
one A is for traction in WET road.
one A is for temperature

Isn't it true that all those tire ratings you are talking about are manufacturer-generated, no regulations or rules or independent sanctioning body to enforce them? *Might* be better policed with namebrand premier brands, but probably not with bottom-of-the-scale cheapies.

AND that traction rating is supposedly only for wet, straight-ahead, i.e. not cornering.

In other words, don't get so hung up on the UTQG ratings.

My own experience with cheapies has been problematical: out-of-round, tread separation, poor real-world traction. YMMV.

Last edited:
The tires I just took off the car were badly worn Michelin tires in the size 195/70r14. The original tire size was 185/70r14. I wanted to keep the width, but not the height, so I split the baby and ordered 195/60r14. Very, very close to original tire diameter.

Wes

:uh:

I wouldn't call 23.21" ? very close at all to any of the stock sizes.

185-70-14 is the stock 240 sedan size @ 24.19" ?.

185 R {80} 14 is the stock wagon size @ 25.65" ?.

So doing the math your wheels are 2.44" shorter than stock wagon diameter, and your car sits almost an inch and a quarter lower than it should.

:e-shrug:

Back