• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

beepee's 1990 740 'SE', Leakzilla, AKA The Emulsifier

beepee

how hard can it be?
11/30/2014 - Finished prototyping my wasted spark tachometer driver circuit.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N0jtFRjIAkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10/14/2014 - If you ain't leakin, you ain't nothin.
EDIT: fixed. taking car to work tomorrow so it will surely fail.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/p2_udhmvz7I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10/10/2014 - It only took a year.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Q-exh2goJi8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11/24/2013 - Proudly still doing things the wrong way.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/dlugE1u2esA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

UPDATE 9/24/2012 frankenmotor lives

Bearings? What bearings?

Matt working in the clean assembly area re-ringing pistons...

Oh god, there's actually work involved?

It looks so much better out of the car...

T5 in place, GOT WOOD (it was the solution to keep it from pissing fluid when we put it in)

Speaking of... putting it in. Heh.

And, a little bit later...

And then it ran! No video because my phone was being retarded. But it sounds MUCH better.

Also, for those of you who haven't had the pleasure... the underside of The Emulsifier:

UPDATE 9/20/2012 melt pistons erry day!

20120914_231700.jpg

2012-09-19_21-33-54_471_zps98b8c69c.jpg
[/QUOTE]
20120918_203152_zpsecb081da.jpg

20120914_225947.jpg

nerd despair
20120914_220024.jpg

hone fail
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/iOrb_wXtMEw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Older (in reverse chronological order):

megasquirt!!
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rBfz4ks_Ktw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LH2.4 at infiniboost:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/mxGQerAuDME?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

goofing off on my way home
<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8aEpQcI5ozg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

turbo oil feed test
<IFRAME height=345 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vxV97B_8EEU" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

goofing off
<IFRAME height=345 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RWv_G_pvnds" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

car runs
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JOX-AleKGGM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Backstory:

In early 2011 I was rocking a 15g, an IPD cam, a heavily-tweaked LH2.4, and some other bits and pieces. When it was time to finally lay down some numbers, this happened:
head_sm.jpg
piston_close_sm.jpg

Which meant this had to happen:

motor-out_sm.jpg

Of course, I didn't do it alone. MrBill here, hard at work, phoning his girlfriend, while Towery investigates...
motor-pull-1_sm.jpg

..and decides to check fitment:
motor-pull-3_sm.jpg

Went to good ol' Crazy Rays and yanked this outta a 940, (squirter :oogle:), shown here post-pressure wash
jymotor-ugly2_sm.jpg

Pulled the head off and got jiggy with the block...
jymotor-cleanedup_sm.jpg

...while the head got jiggy with some heavy machinery.
head-shaved_sm.jpg

Got a little OCD with the wirewheel...
oilpan_sm.jpg
intake_sm.jpg

Meanwhile, parts were arriving... 55lbs, w 4/bar FPR
injectors-fpr_sm.jpg

Holset HY35 with a HE351 hotside:
turbo-oillines_sm.jpg

Bad-ass header from TLOA...
exhaust-mockup_sm.jpg

Eventually, things started coming together:
mockup2_sm.jpg

I soon realized I had created a plumbing/fitment nightmare:
plumbing_sm.jpg

So I took it all apart again and spent a bunch of money on spray enamel, not solving anything but making me feel better:c
painted_sm.jpg

painted-pretty_sm.jpg

Finally, I got cheeky one weekend and decided to, well... put it in. :oogle:
beepee-goofin_sm.jpg

I had help, but once it was on the mounts they were at a loss as to what happened next...
motor-in3_sm.jpg

Eventually the trans went in along with a million wires, nuts and bolts, hoses, clamps, zip-ties, bailing wire, twine and miles of duct tape.

And it ran! (see videos above)

That's it for now. Watch this space...

Last edited:
So wait, the manifold clears the a/c?

Sure hope to heck it works out for you.

it sort of clears. one of the lines is sitting pretty firmly against the angle pipe leaving the hotside, but it will clear with some strategic bending. what did you do to keep your plug wires from melting? custom wires with heat socks? pretty sure im gonna go that route.

just sorted out my oil and water leaks. had to redo the fittings on the external oil cooler thermostat. trans cooler lines still leaking but that's an easy fix.

waiting for some piping to come in so it can actually be turbo. the compressor outlet, aside from being in an awful place, uses a v-band.

but there is such a clusterf*** of stuff around the turbo it is gonna take some serious engineering (read: zip ties, jb weld, and pvc pipe) to get the compressor outlet talking to the I/C inlet.

but, it's a WIP.

I just used high temp boots/socks over the plug wires, no issues for the year I had it like that.

The outlet worked just fine if you used the Late model hy35cw.

Being that I did not have a/c in my car nice to see that it almost clears.

protip: don't cut the engine off at 5k.

my ball bearing turbo spins longer than that when shut off at idle :-P

sounds/looks good, broseph. can't believe the two cars that are going to SE from this area...

what's with the shriek coming from the turbo? sure the oil feed is feeding? you run it into a cup before hooking it up to the turbo to flush any trash out?

Ball bearing FTW
Yeah I think it's journal bearing
sounds/looks good, broseph. can't believe the two cars that are going to SE from this area...

:lol: we bad.
what's with the shriek coming from the turbo? sure the oil feed is feeding? you run it into a cup before hooking it up to the turbo to flush any trash out?

Uh oh. I mentioned it friday but we forgot.
Edit: He still has the little piece in the compressor intake that's held in with a snap ring. Maybe it makes the noise?
I took mine out :e-shrug:

pretty sure it's feeding. Originally I intended to do the whole "prime it into a cup" thing but I didn't think about it at the time.... and I guess MrBill secretly wants my car to explode :-P

it sure as hell feeds the other 9 miles of oil cooler/remote filter nonsense I have going on. The feed line got hot... and it spins (by hand) much more freely than it did before the oil system was primed (by cranking and cranking and cranking and cranking and....)

oil pressure light behaves normally, but i know that doesn't mean a lot. the oil lines are all new braided stuff now that you've got me paranoid, i'll check tonight.

Of course, the turbo IS freewheeling right now (nothing attached to the compressor) so that may be why it's LOUD. I know you can overspeed it like that which is why I've not beat on the car or anything yet.

sounded a little like the t3 keysar gave me. i put it on my car, drove it around the block, and it started POURING smoke out the exhaust. it sounded like a supercharger whine for .1mi.

I'm sure it's fine, though.

meh, it's just a holset and you're rolling in dough anyway with the new job. bet you'll run it into a cup next time though if it's shot ;)

fyi, purging the feed does a couple of things.. it lets you know you've got oil going to the turbo (and thus some degree of oil pressure), and it gets any crap that was in the line out.. the latter more than the former, but if it's not working then well you'll realize there's a feed issue before stuff melts down.

fyi, purging the feed does a couple of things.. it lets you know you've got oil going to the turbo (and thus some degree of oil pressure), and it gets any crap that was in the line out.. the latter more than the former, but if it's not working then well you'll realize there's a feed issue before stuff melts down.

see, these are things I know, however it wasn't necessary because [insert excuse] and :x:

I did run compressed air through all of the oil orifices and then shop vac them out thoroughly, including the AN lines. Really shouldn't be anything in there. Regardless, I'm checking it first thing when I get home. I knew I wasn't done getting covered in oil.

Also gonna buy a bunch of -6an hose to replace those trans cooler hard lines and hopefully run them somewhere less intrusive.

anyone have tips for reducing the footprint of the power steering pump/hoses? don't say "remove it", 'cause I refuse. :-P

Still gotta get the rest of the exhaust swapped out, figure out the correct way to do the shifter linkage, reconnect the OD solenoid, and all the other stuff that got skipped.

shopping list:

- 20" 6an hose
- sandwich plate oil cooler
- thru-radiator zip ties
- ? turbo??
- smaller belt for PS/water pump

Back