home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 12-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #76
aidanahunter
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
Nice job on the steering column mod - looking good dude. I understand your plan now!

As for battery relocation, in my blue wagon I'm going to put the battery in the right buttcheek and run a BMW E36 battery cable. In those cars the battery is in the trunk almost exactly where it will end up in the 240. Will come up to a junction and jump post in the engine bay somewhere near the firewall. Pre-made nice OE battery cable that was free and the right length...check.
Thanks!

I'll keep that E36 battery harness idea in my back pocket when it comes time for me to do that.

Have you thought about fuel pump and radiator at all? Fuel pump I was thinking there's gotta be some performance 240 pump out there that would fit right in and supply the 40ish psi the 4.6 needs. Radiator the Mark VIII's is a little big and I'm not sure the OEM 240 radiator could keep up. Would an all aluminum aftermarket 240 radiator work? Like this one:

https://www.vivaperformance.com/all-...o-240-740-940/

And here's the 240 radiator next to the Mark VIII radiator:

aidanahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #77
TestPoint
Board Member

A battery fits nicely in the butt cheek. I used find stranded welding cable to be able to flex around all the bends between the rear and front. Be sure to fuse it near the battery.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...28#post4006928

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2018, 02:52 PM   #78
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by aidanahunter View Post
Thanks!

I'll keep that E36 battery harness idea in my back pocket when it comes time for me to do that.

Have you thought about fuel pump and radiator at all? Fuel pump I was thinking there's gotta be some performance 240 pump out there that would fit right in and supply the 40ish psi the 4.6 needs. Radiator the Mark VIII's is a little big and I'm not sure the OEM 240 radiator could keep up. Would an all aluminum aftermarket 240 radiator work?
Good deal. A couple years ago I had just torn one out of an E36 to put the battery in the cabin when I realized it might be handy to save for this project. It's nice and flexible and should route through the 240 cabin pretty nicely, but I haven't tried that yet.

Fuel pump: I have a different problem statement, because boost. Pump flow rate drops off with pressure, and by adding <=10psi boost in the manifold I'll need to ensure sufficient flow at +10psi over the stock rail pressure. I haven't chosen a pump yet for this one.

In your case, find out whatever the stock rail pressure should be for your engine, and just size the pump flow output at that operating pressure plus a few psi to account for losses in the system between the pump and rails. You'll need to figure out a gallon/hour or L/min flow rate, using injector duty cycle, number of injectors, max engine speed, and air/fuel ratio. You should have a wide range of pump choices that will flow enough for your engine at ~40psi fuel rail pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
A battery fits nicely in the butt cheek. I used find stranded welding cable to be able to flex around all the bends between the rear and front. Be sure to fuse it near the battery.

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...28#post4006928
Thanks for sharing that!
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:32 AM   #79
Arn02
Board Member

Cool project. I'm also installing a V8 in a 240 and battery in the back is almost unavoidable. I'm using an e38 plus cable which comes with a main 250A fuse and fusebox to the users (+ terminal), and a separate thick wire to the starter motor.

The 245 GT

The Euromurican
Arn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #80
aidanahunter
Board Member

Sold the original Volvo engine, transmission, computers and harness today. All but the transmission will be going in a rally 242.

Yesterday since we had uncharacteristically warm temperatures of almost 60 degrees, I pulled the V8 engine and trans and cleaned out the engine bay. With a garden hose, dish soap, scouring pad, and time, I got it looking good enough. No need to make it perfect for this swap. It's extremely refreshing to see it this clean and I regret not doing this when we initially pulled the engine and trans.

Here's some before and after pics:

aidanahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:10 PM   #81
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Bath on Sunday whether I need it or not....

Gratuitous butt-cheek-mounted-battery shot

Last edited by M.H. Yount; 01-06-2019 at 06:21 PM..
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote