home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 12-10-2018, 05:08 PM   #301
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
I was wondering about that lift also, but can't find a similar one on eBay US.

Your car is crazy, can't wait to see a vid of it in action!
I'll definitely make some nice vids once it's done (in 64 years at this rate...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLane View Post
Looking good OP.

Eager to see and hear this one go.

That MB bent-12 needed to be allowed to breathe. Should be a laugh riot.
Thanks! Should be a riot indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
Is that a b204ft
Nope, that's the engine that was in the car originally, although heavily modified. It's a B234F+T with forged RSI pistons and connection rods etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
This is an awesome build. Love your attention to detail - and having to mod your building . On a side note, I noticed your angle torque tool. Looks much easier to use than my old SnapOn with angle rod that never locates properly for Volvo flywheels, etc... :D What brand did you get & did it do the job accurately for you? Many thanks.
Thanks! It's actually also a random one I grabbed off of ebay for next to nothing. I have one like yours too with a little rod that you have to hook on something, but bought the one in the pics too because it's super easy to work with. Worked surprisingly well. Just make sure the clamp is clamped on properly. It's this one: https://ebay.us/XUVSOc, but I'm sure something similair can be found on your side of the ocean.
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 PM   #302
lookforjoe
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post

Thanks! It's actually also a random one I grabbed off of ebay for next to nothing. I have one like yours too with a little rod that you have to hook on something, but bought the one in the pics too because it's super easy to work with. Worked surprisingly well. Just make sure the clamp is clamped on properly. It's this one: https://ebay.us/XUVSOc, but I'm sure something similair can be found on your side of the ocean.
Thank you for replying. That one actually looks better than the few I can find online here - white matt face instead of reflective chrome dial, for example :( - For some reason I can't get Chrome to translate the product name into English. Would it be possible to get the details off the package for the brand & item number so I can resaerch it some more? Worst case, I'd get my Aunt (lives in Germany) to buy that & ship to me, price is certainly good.

My XR July2013 - 446AWHP @ 8K rpm

Last edited by lookforjoe; 12-10-2018 at 08:16 PM..
lookforjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:38 PM   #303
Opgedronken
Board Member

I've got another question for you :P. What happened when you took off the oil pickup?
Does the rest of the pump come off as well, or can you just take the pickup off and leave it like that.

Talking about tuning, there's some aftermarket support, but it's insanely expensive. Moldex makes a billet crankshaft for instance, but it costs like 4k.
Thankfully the oem camshafts are pretty decent and give a nice power band with a 7k rev limit.
You can always have them reground for a couple of 100 euros if you need a more agressive profile.
Opgedronken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 04:25 PM   #304
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opgedronken View Post
I've got another question for you :P. What happened when you took off the oil pickup?
Does the rest of the pump come off as well, or can you just take the pickup off and leave it like that.

Talking about tuning, there's some aftermarket support, but it's insanely expensive. Moldex makes a billet crankshaft for instance, but it costs like 4k.
Thankfully the oem camshafts are pretty decent and give a nice power band with a 7k rev limit.
You can always have them reground for a couple of 100 euros if you need a more agressive profile.
What are you planning to do with the pump? I didn't take the pump off the engine, just took the pickup tube part off. There are 3 long thin bolts that hold it together. If you take that off, it'll fall apart a bit but the pump itself with the gear and chain etc will stay on the engine with the gear in place. The piece that comes off is just a spacer of some kind. There isn't any sealant between the parts, just metal on metal.
Regarding tuning, I'd just like to see how it is now and then take it from there. 4000 for a billet V12 crankshaft doesn't seem too bad. Can make it a 7.3L engine then like the AMG versions :D But yeah, win the lottery first. How do these engines hold up at 7000rpm? Seems like a lot for so much reciprocating mass and a rather long crankshaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforjoe View Post
Thank you for replying. That one actually looks better than the few I can find online here - white matt face instead of reflective chrome dial, for example :( - For some reason I can't get Chrome to translate the product name into English. Would it be possible to get the details off the package for the brand & item number so I can resaerch it some more? Worst case, I'd get my Aunt (lives in Germany) to buy that & ship to me, price is certainly good.
Unfortunately I don't have the packaging anymore and the thing itself doesn't have something written on it.
Old 12-19-2018, 04:59 PM   #305
Opgedronken
Board Member

Haha that's what I wanted to know, I just need to take the pickup tube off, but it looked like the pump was bolted together like the stages on a dry sump pump so wasn't sure to just take them out :P.

I think 7k rpm shouldn't be that big of a problem, sure it's not ideal and there's a lot of mass, but a v12 is also super smooth and the block is very stiff with 6 bolt mains.

If I ever get too much money I'm building a clk gtr/zonda R style 6 litre. Increasing the stroke isn't really conductive to running high revs :P.
Opgedronken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:16 PM   #306
Sander
Good news everyone!

Bit of progress, 1 thing I hadn't quite worked out how to do was the power steering system. Somehow the Mercedes pump, Ford hydroboost and Volvo rack have to play nice together. The S600 pump puts out 125 bar which is way more than the Volvo. The hydroboost unit and the Volvo rack work at pretty much the same pressure, so I needed to lower the pressure and flow from the S600 pump. It's a pump made by ZF, so I searched for a random ZF pump that puts out the correct 95 bar like the 740/940 pump normally does, with the intention to swap the pressure regulator parts and the flow restrictor. To my surprise, turns out that physically the other pump I got is exactly the same, just the bits that make it car specific bolt on. Swapped everything over and now it should work well. The pressure is the same as the Volvo pump and the flow restrictor thing has the exact same diameter as the Volvo pump too, so it should be exactly what it needs now regarding flow and pressure.

Put parts of the front back on to start measuring for the radiator. The engine is so long that even though the radiator would fit in the stock position, there would't be any room for a fan. I'll end up moving the rad further forward under the plastic piece in between the headlights. Should be enough space for an electric fan then.

1 down, 3 more to go. The collector is held on with springs, but it also is super tightly clamped on and you can barely get it off with a hammer. It's sealed with a special sealant I found that is rated up to 1000 degrees C, bonds to metal and doesn't flake or something into the cats. I did it like this as there is no way to weld them all around as the pipes are too close together in the collector.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:26 PM   #307
wujek
Board Member

Save to: Fap Folder. Ok. Good night.

WANTED:
-red floor mats for 7/9
wujek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #308
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Can you accommodate our curiosity with a photo of how the collectors look from the bottom-side?
Old 12-29-2018, 07:53 PM   #309
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wujek View Post
Save to: Fap Folder. Ok. Good night.
Haha thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
Can you accommodate our curiosity with a photo of how the collectors look from the bottom-side?
Sure, you mean where they end up on the underside of the car or a pic from the inside of the collector? I just have this crappy pic of the right side. I'll take some better pics and some from the left tomorrow, but there they are pretty much in the same place. It all fits pretty tight, but it does fit. Overall, there is like 6 meters of tube in there. The collectors will each get a 2" secondary on them, which will then merge into a single 2,5" pipe on each side of the car, through a cat, come together with an X pipe maybe if there is space and then go side by side to the back over the IRS subframe in the back.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:17 PM   #310
M.H. Yount
Board Member

From bottom of car - thx! Got it - I think that config will work well. Do a crossover (H or X) if you can. I think it will sound even better that way.
M.H. Yount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:32 PM   #311
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.H. Yount View Post
From bottom of car - thx! Got it - I think that config will work well. Do a crossover (H or X) if you can. I think it will sound even better that way.
I'm planning on running an X pipe, but I'm not sure where it'll have to go under the car. I'll have to wait until the drive shaft is done before I know how to route it all there. Here's a pic of the left side manifolds wrapping around the steering column:

And that makes 2. 2 more to go.

Had to remove the oil filter housing to undo the left forward manifold, but that's super easy, just a couple bolts.

Old 01-01-2019, 04:57 PM   #312
kimbuktu

Looks good, keep up the good work
kimbuktu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:33 AM   #313
rijk
Board Member

Awesome job, Sander.
Old 01-06-2019, 07:21 PM   #314
Sander
Good news everyone!

Thanks! Hopefully I'll have them done soon so I can start putting everything together more permanently.

That makes 3 (no. 4 is almost done too, forgot to take pics though):

Old 01-07-2019, 02:51 AM   #315
Vol242vo
Board Member

Wow...they look great!

Derek - 1980 242
Vol242vo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:20 PM   #316
Pete.M
Slow Member

The manifolds alone would take me about 1 year.
Pete.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #317
Dirty Rick
Board Member

Oh I get it now!

This V12 thing is just an exercise to show off your mad header fab skillz!
Old 01-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #318
Mr.Borrie
The Sneaky F*ing Russian

Dude, you know you now gottah weld me a downpipe for the 760 Holset setup now
Mr.Borrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 02:01 PM   #319
reiernumans

Can I hire you to build a turbo-back exhaust for an old Saab?
reiernumans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #320
arsenix
Board Member

Have you delt with the fuel tank sender/gauge yet? I finally pulled everything off my V90 donor and I was putting the tank back together. Looks like my '90 740 uses a different resistance sender than the 960/V90, and it is a totally different shape for the IRS tank. Maybe swap the old resistance coils into the new sender? Or swap over the fuel gauge into my older cluster?
arsenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:06 PM   #321
Sander
Good news everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vol242vo View Post
Wow...they look great!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete.M View Post
The manifolds alone would take me about 1 year.
It took me long enough too to do, still not finished yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Rick View Post
Oh I get it now!

This V12 thing is just an exercise to show off your mad header fab skillz!
Haha thanks, a V12 should have proper headers and itbs in my world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Borrie View Post
Dude, you know you now gottah weld me a downpipe for the 760 Holset setup now
I'm sure something can be arranged

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiernumans View Post
Can I hire you to build a turbo-back exhaust for an old Saab?
I'm not sure if I can do it for less than something readily available though

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenix View Post
Have you delt with the fuel tank sender/gauge yet? I finally pulled everything off my V90 donor and I was putting the tank back together. Looks like my '90 740 uses a different resistance sender than the 960/V90, and it is a totally different shape for the IRS tank. Maybe swap the old resistance coils into the new sender? Or swap over the fuel gauge into my older cluster?
I haven't tried it yet, but I used a tank and sender from a MK1 IRS car. It plugged right in but I haven't tested it yet as my fuel gauge didn't work correctly in the first place. As far as I know, it should work normally. The IRS 700s didn't have a different gauge cluster than the non-IRS ones. I know the tank and sender from the MK2 960/V90s are different than the IRS MK1 cars. Is this still the MK1 IRS swap you were doing? If so, did you get the V90 tank to fit with the big MK1 suspension arm next to it?
Old 01-12-2019, 09:25 PM   #322
brickcupra
Board Member

Hey Nice job, I am a mig welder and just this week I began practicing tig. Of course is crappy till I get the hang of it and I wanna get a raise for as well , Dying to get back to my project , Is been a while ( October ) since I caressed my Cupra. Best of luck . DZ
brickcupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:29 AM   #323
arsenix
Board Member

Quote:
I haven't tried it yet, but I used a tank and sender from a MK1 IRS car. It plugged right in but I haven't tested it yet as my fuel gauge didn't work correctly in the first place. As far as I know, it should work normally. The IRS 700s didn't have a different gauge cluster than the non-IRS ones. I know the tank and sender from the MK2 960/V90s are different than the IRS MK1 cars. Is this still the MK1 IRS swap you were doing? If so, did you get the V90 tank to fit with the big MK1 suspension arm next to it?
Ah. Got it. That makes sense if you are using an earlier IRS tank. After poking around a bit I think I can swap a 93+ fuel gauge into my cluster with a little wiring modification. That should work with the later sender just fine. So I can put the tank back together with my Walbro... call that "Finished"

I am using the Mk2 IRS. I'm planning to dump the leaf spring and the heavy lower control arms and even heavier thrust arms for some lighter custom components and stick a coilover in there.
arsenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #324
reiernumans

Quote:
I'm not sure if I can do it for less than something readily available though
The thing is, everything that's readily available is played out as F, the Simons stuff isn't stainless and I kinda want some custom stuff anyway lol. I've checked with a couple of pro exhaust shops but sh*t gets expensive quick. Might be interesting to chat about it sometime, no rush though.
reiernumans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:15 PM   #325
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Niiiice. Good busy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote