home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 11-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #51
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
My front engine produces 430bhp, I was just after something similar for the rear one, but I'll just stick to what I have and run two compound charged engines.

Knuth also cites a letter sent to him by Dijkstra, in which the latter adds some nuance to this earlier statements: "Please don't fall into the trap of believing that I am terribly dogmatical about [the go to statement]. I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
BDKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:03 AM   #52
atrokz
super cage design genius

Quote:
Agreed, but then it would be like every other tuned 850, which is a bit difficult for attracting sponsorship, and cost wise my car has cost less than £2000 pounds to buy and build. my friend has paid nearly that amount for just a turbo and still has less power (at the moment)
That's a good explanation.

By rear engine, what do you mean? You have a motor out back too?

Every thought of electric drive for rears? use a two stroke to power up some capacitors. Would be the loudest thing on the planet..... haha.
92 245 DL WAS NOT TO BE -RETURNED FOR ZERO SPACE
91 745T RIP
94 850 NA RIP
95 850R GONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Rob Ford was Canadas greatest president
atrokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:07 AM   #53
claymore
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrokz View Post
That's a good explanation.

By rear engine, what do you mean? You have a motor out back too?

Every thought of electric drive for rears? use a two stroke to power up some capacitors. Would be the loudest thing on the planet..... haha.
The car has just been taken off the road to have another engine put in the back ready for next year, trying to get an unstressed 800bhp awd setup
claymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #54
atrokz
super cage design genius

Consider electric? Would be hybrid, then you could get sponsors that maybe wouldn't have considered it otherwise.

Talk to simey binker on here. He worked for an electric car company as an engineer, and knows a thing or two about electric drives.

Of course, this is just an idea. You may be set on another T5 or something, but electric torque driving the rears would be something to behold.
atrokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #55
claymore
Board Member

I wouldn't know where to start with electric power, but I might just go and have a Google session
Old 11-14-2013, 11:34 AM   #56
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrokz View Post
Consider electric? Would be hybrid, then you could get sponsors that maybe wouldn't have considered it otherwise.

Talk to simey binker on here. He worked for an electric car company as an engineer, and knows a thing or two about electric drives.

Of course, this is just an idea. You may be set on another T5 or something, but electric torque driving the rears would be something to behold.
Quote:
I wouldn't know where to start with electric power, but I might just go and have a Google session
BDKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #57
centason
Knipex=welfare queen

Quote:
The car has just been taken off the road to have another engine put in the back ready for next year, trying to get an unstressed 800bhp awd setup
Unstressed? Need to take the drive train into account then. Torque is the killer, not HP.
Originally Posted by 240240 View Post
Yes, but I keep having the dream of shoving the Cocaine up my ass!
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgothan View Post
Ohh god no, I'd rather eat hot diarrhea than drive a 7/9
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFridge View Post
You sons of bitches are the biggest thread de-railers in forum history. Any forums history.
centason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #58
claymore
Board Member

That's why I'm going to use 2 engines with around 400bhp each, (I already have map the front engine to kill the torque)
Old 11-14-2013, 11:55 AM   #59
towz-T
EL hipo explosive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
As an actual, functional system it will suck. As others have mentioned each turbo would only be getting 1/5th of the available exhaust energy, once every two engine revolutions, which causes several problems. Not to mention you've got a whole lot of added weight and efficiency losses by mutliplying turbo x5. A really good modern turbo is only about 55% efficient as an overall machine...that is, you get 55% of the energy you put into it back out again as usable work. 5 small turbos are not 5 times as efficient as one large turbo, not even close. You'll have more energy losses through the turbines, bearing systems, and compressors and the engine will therefore be working much harder to produce the same power output as it would with one properly sized turbo.

Let's say you wanted to make 500 bhp (at the flywheel) from your 2.3L 5-cyl, nice round number right? That's 100hp per cylinder or 217 hp/L. You'd need something like 32 psi manifold pressure, or about 3.3 pressure ratio on a compressor map, to do so at sea level, with the system optimized and working really well. This is treating the turbo match as five individual 0.46L single-cylinder engines. The corrected mass flow rate through each compressor would end up being about 8 lb/min at 6000rpm on this engine.

Look at the compressor maps of small turbos available for sale and you'll see that none of them will be anywhere near optimal running at 8 lb/min and 3.3 PR. Taking the Garrett GT1241 as an example, it's peak efficiency is available at 8 lb/min but only up to about 2.7 pressure ratio. At 3.3 PR you'd be overspeeding the crap out of this little guy (like 300,000 rpm vs. 220,000 rpm speed limit). Overspeeding not only puts a tremendous strain on the turbo mechanically but makes it a really poor air compressor. Compressor efficiency will be terrible, intake air temps will be very high, and as a result the turbine will be working much harder, creating more backpressure and killing flow through the head (VE). As most people who have played around with turbos know, "turning up the boost" will only net you more power up to a point of diminishing returns with a particular turbo.

Taking that GT1241 down to a reasonable pressure ratio like 2.7:1 means that you'd be making about 24 psi intake manifold pressure. With a properly sized single turbo, that's about 430hp at the flywheel, and the compressor would be flowing about 36 lb/min. There are plenty of small-ish turbos that could do this all day long, without the need for the added complexity & weight of four more turbos, wastegates, charge plumbing, etc. The other advantage of a small single turbo would be that you could turn up the wick to 32 psi / 3.3 PR and make 500 flywheel hp, no problema. A GT3071R for example would be perfect for 500hp on this 2.3L.

It's true that a single small turbo will have less rotational intertia and need much less exhaust energy to spool up than a large one, and if you had a 460cc single (dirt bike for example) I'd say sure, go ahead and use a GT12 or equivalent and make something like 85hp. But multiplying that system by 5 just doesn't make much sense when the net effects will just be:

-lower peak hp potential
-increased backpressure
-increased charge air temps
-increased fuel consumption
-added weight
-5x the amount of crap to fail

vs. a properly sized single turbo system at the same power level.
what i was about to say.

but do it for the giggles
'89 745 B204GT <= project moneypit
my introduction thread that i am desperately trying to keep alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bondo View Post
cuz on turbobricks, posting about something and not doing it counts as quitting a project halfway through. Quitting a project halfway through counts as finishing it.

Yay you finished it!
towz-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #60
centason
Knipex=welfare queen

With all that money spent, might as well do a custom V8 B8444s with twins if you want to stay Volvo. Or an LSX single turbo, or huge blower. Both can make 800 without the headache, and would cost less. You're looking at 15k just for all the custom mounting and reinforcement alone. Then the headache starts of keeping both engines in tandem and synchronized. Why you have a map to kill torque is beyond me. I love torque. Makes me sh!t my pants.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #61
claymore
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centason View Post
With all that money spent, might as well do a custom V8 B8444s with twins if you want to stay Volvo. Or an LSX single turbo, or huge blower. Both can make 800 without the headache, and would cost less. You're looking at 15k just for all the custom mounting and reinforcement alone. Then the headache starts of keeping both engines in tandem and synchronized. Why you have a map to kill torque is beyond me. I love torque. Makes me sh!t my pants.
What money spent?
You might be looking at 15k, I think I can get it done for about £700 which includes the donor car and Another ECU
I have a map to kill torque so stop me blowing up my weak m59 gearbox.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #62
centason
Knipex=welfare queen

You want to put two engines in your car @ 400hp each for £700? What are you going to do for a 2nd tranny? Custom axles in the rear? How are you going to mount the engine with out reinforcing the rear and making mounts? I just need you to explain to me how this is done for £700.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #63
dieselboy
Whooty patrol

Oh my.
'08 f350 4x4 v10 cclb
'97 f-350 4x4 offroad toy
'94 4700 dt466 International toterhome build
dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #64
claymore
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centason View Post
You want to put two engines in your car @ 400hp each for £700? What are you going to do for a 2nd tranny? Custom axles in the rear? How are you going to mount the engine with out reinforcing the rear and making mounts? I just need you to explain to me how this is done for £700.
Already done it once on the Volvaxo:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...hlight=volvaxo

Last edited by claymore; 11-14-2013 at 12:47 PM..
Old 11-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #65
centason
Knipex=welfare queen

See all that custom work? It cost money whether labor or supplies. That's not £700 worth of work.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:43 PM   #66
claymore
Board Member

I do all my own work, I know what it will cost.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #67
centason
Knipex=welfare queen

Okie dokie then.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #68
CAPT_BLOTTO
#Crush It

I'm trying to figure out how all of this is going to be controlled/work.

Junkyard Parts request thread!
Mesquite FB page! Constant updates!

Da Yellow Sold | $800 245 | 77 244
CAPT_BLOTTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:08 PM   #69
Daviticus
Board Member

Maybe it'll just kinda happen, like that twin-engined, methanol-fueled, automatic-transmission Tiburon from SCC Magazine's Ultimate Street Car Challenge a few years back.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlAyaCKVBTQ‎
Go read performance subforum for like a month.
Daviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 01:10 PM   #70
claymore
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT_BLOTTO View Post
Nothing to complicated, two throttle cables, larger clutch master cylinder to feed both slave cylinders, and we fwd Volvo owners are very lucky to have cable operated gear linkage.
Old 11-14-2013, 01:11 PM   #71
dieselboy
Whooty patrol

Turbo potatoes!!111
dieselboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 02:50 PM   #72
golgothan
5000+ HP Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPT_BLOTTO View Post
It's like you've never seen the Durocco, what a LOSER!
golgothan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #73
Vmaxx
Board Member

Thisll be the second 850 T10! Good stuff claymore.

¡Vivo! 850 T5 16T 019-Black Stone
JUNKED&PARTING
"That's why we drive old cars and try to act proud of it." -RSPi
pm me for batch of 850/X70 parts
Vmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 PM   #74
BassGuy
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmaxx View Post
Thisll be the second 850 T10! Good stuff claymore.
Do tell? And by tell I mean show pics?

1991 945GLE - 16v Wagon! (in pieces)

1990 245 - DD, Pepper-thing (car, wagon, boat, mobile) - K-cam'd and Dale-gear'd - now an actual fridge, probably

1987 760 Turbo Intercooler - dead 07/14/2011

Feedback Thread
BassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #75
ErikS
FWD!

TB, full of wankers who hate FWD ingenuity since 1993.
ErikS is offline   Reply With Quote