• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

FAQ Question Suggestions

Captain Bondo

Exklusiv Zubehör Klub
300+ Club
Put your suggestions for questions that should be in a turbobricks FAQ here!

ie What turbo does my car have?
What is the best engine for big power?
Why does my M46 keep breaking?
How do I up the boost?

You know, think back to the last time you saw a post and went "sigh, this question again..."

How do I mount FWD Volvo wheels on a RWD Volvo?

[quote:68d9aa9145]You need spacers with longer wheel studs -OR- wheel adapters. I would recommend buying adapters from any one of several sources listed below. I know of at least 4 240s that have used 16", 17", or 18" wheels meant to fit an 850 with the use of adapters. The 200/700/900 series uses an offset of 20-25mm and the 850 and new FWD use an offset around 35-48mm (check the wheels to be sure). When you put 20mm spacers on your car, it changes the required offset to about 40mm, so FWD wheels will now fit. With adapters, there is a minimum safe thickness of about 20-25mm so that there's enough material to cover the studs on the hub and support the seperate studs pressed into the adapter.

Sources of adapters:

http://www.volvonet.org/tpc/spacers.html
http://www.wheeladapters.com/
http://www.performancewheel.com/adapters.html
http://www.gilracing.com/

SAM and H&R both carry spacers and longer bolts, but that would be more difficult and probably more expensive.[/quote:68d9aa9145]

Not really a FAQ item, but an up-to-date listing of what's available for:
turbo upgrades
cam upgrades
exhaust upgrades

There's always someone asking "My turbo is making bad noises, I'd like to use it as an excuse to upgrade, what are my options?"

I have a B***FT How much boost can I run on the stock motor?
What can I do to make my 19** *** faster?
What is the widest rubber I can fit on my 19** ***?
What can I do to make my 19** *** handle beter?
A few suggestions for the FAQ's Dan242tic

a stage 1 through ... easiest and cheapest performance upgrades first then progressively get more technical and expensive.

now that would be nice.

also i will be building a motor for my 745T and would like to know how to build it for optimum power.

Well, just glancing thru recent topics:

What's a G-Valve? How do I make one? How do I set the boost?
(actually, that's a good one even if you don't have a G-Valve)

What size exhaust should I use? NA vs Turbo, Downpipes, Mandrel vs. Crushbent, cat choices, mufflers, rice tips, etc.

Springs! Available aftermarket choices, cutting, clamping, modified diesel wagon, coilovers, yadayadayada

Where can I get ricey clear taillights for my brick?

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?

What is a nice stage 1 for <$1000? exhaust, cam, MBC+5psi
How much boost can I run?
How can I run a 13 ?
How can I make my brick go faster ?
AW71 to M46 swap?
What turbo do I have ( year & model list)
How fast do 2/7/9 run the 1/4 stock?
AW71 hack ???
What are expected drive train limits ?

Hmm..
sure would be nice to preserve some of th archive and some of the threads in the board.
I think it'd work great if we could even have links to specific threads dealing with each topic.
I think its better than one person writing an article based on one opinion/set of experiences. Because we've covered so much of this...

I dunno what to think. We have some good info but the board is struggling right now imo. I'm being frank.
It's largely from people reading archived posts and hearing about other member's mods that they ask GOOD questions, not stupid... oh never mind. ;)
Seems like we need some momentum somehow. I dunno. I think us regulars are tending to just talk independently on AIM which is more efficient for us but not for the board.
So if anyone can think of MOD stuff to post thoughts or experiences about, please do so. I know this is not quite on topic, but we need to do something. :)

What cam does my motor have?
What are the cam specs and WTF do they mean?
How much HP is my car rated at?
What size tires can I run?
Rear end ratios (models avail)?
What ignition do I have?
Why do 92 244GL's go 0-60 in 2 days?
Why is it, when I go to open the curtains, I always pull the wrong cord first?

Can't help you on the last one , though I suspect it is related to Why Do I Always Wind Up in the Slowest Line at the Supermarket? However, I do have the answer to Why the Toast Tends to Land Buttered Side Down.

A great article for the FAQs would be a round-table discussion on exhaust sizing between an engineer from Dynomax, a race car fabricator, and Kenny.

"A great article for the FAQs would be a round-table discussion on exhaust sizing between an engineer from Dynomax, a race car fabricator, and Kenny."

I tend to think that all three of them would say that in a turbo car, backpressure is bad, period. And that in an NA car, assuming correct header primary lengths/diameters, and collector design are designed to correctly scavenge from the ports, then again backpressure is for sissies. all it does is keep exhaust from leaving the system. a pressure drop in the exhaust represents a flow restriction, which is bad for exhaust flow and even WORSE for turbo spoolup, which is another (important) issue in its own right.
But of course I would say that they'd all agree with me. ;)

And a 244GL takes 2 days to get 0-60 for the same reason pigs are incapable of flight. :lol:

Well if pigs can fly then ,

The price of bacon will go up !!!.

FAQs will be different to everybody , im sure the simple upgrades get the most attention so start there . For suspension and brakes we should have stage 1 and stage 2 etc (as for the engine) and link them to the manufacturers that provide the products to allow people to make their own choice .

I think this will be like writing a book for some of the subjects covered .

Kenny , you could have one for , how do i turn a green wagon into a 500hp purple throbbing monster for the least money under a tarpaulin :wink:

A 500hp "purple throbbing monster".......well....uh.......I'm not going to say a WORD :squint:

[quote:33b449ceec]I dunno what to think. We have some good info but the board is struggling right now imo. I'm being frank. [/quote:33b449ceec]

Hmmmm, let's think about this. Is a FAQ the solution? Is the format of the information the problem or is it something else?

Are we seriously trying to find a solution to this? I'm afraid we may not like what we hear if an honest assessment is given.

CaptainBondo, you had the balls to be frank and admit the board is struggling. I'm going to go out on a limb and give one persons view of the board after being involved for 3 months.

This board, like the Audi boards, is a constant argument. There is too much negative here.

1. Newbies are shunned and told to look to the archives.
2. The ones that have the actual proven knowledge are not sharing the details. And I don't blame them. You have to have noticed that the ones with the most knowledge don't post often. Which leads to #3?
3. Instead of discussing a thought provoking issue we see how we can prove a guy wrong. Nothing is going to be learned from doing this. The bench racers seem to want to get out the slide rule and prove that the experience didn't happen. We need to talk less about theory and more about what we have experienced.

1. If it wasn't for the new people asking the same questions, the board would be empty. New information is revealed by revisiting and discussing the same issue. There is little discussion of new discoveries. We need to help the new in their goal for more HP.
2. We can only hope the informed will continue to hang around and interject their thoughts from time to time.
3. If we spent as much time trying to find out why something did work instead of trying to prove someone is lying much more could be accomplished here. And the board would grow. We need to take the blinders off and look around to try to learn from each other instead of reinventing the wheel over and over. You can't make yourself look good by talking down someone else.

We have a lot of good guys doing a lot of good things here. Unfortunately we are all going in different directions. The goal here is to help each other reach the goal of more horsepower.

One of two things are going to happen due to this post. Either it will provoke some thought, or more likely I will be called a troll again and be flamed to a very well done char.

OK, Donning Nomex underwear. Let the flaming begin!!!
[/quote]

Back