home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
al_ngl
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lafayette, IN
Default Unlocked Two Bonus Levels of Leg Room!

...by removing two roll pins!

I am only 6'1" tall, but I find that the three Volvos I've had, apart from possibly my 760, were just a tiny bit on the cramped side for leg room. Well, today I tested a long held suspicion I've had as to whether more usable leg room can be gained in mere minutes simply by removing the two roll pins that are in the rear of the seat rails, as well as the rubber stoppers in front of them. I put the seat all the way back, and sure enough, the seat on my 940 had two more slots to go backward, but was locked out by the roll pins. A few minutes wiggling with vise grips, and I have at least an inch more legroom!

Granted, the roll pins were probably there for a safety reason, either to keep the seat from moving backward in a rear-end collision, or to keep the driver at a certain proximity to the airbags in the event of a front-end crash. Either way, the rear seat bolts stop the seat from coming off the rails, and if I really worried about it I could put longer bolts in with a stack of washers to make sure it was as good as two tiny roll pins.

Had anyone discovered this before? I didn't find anything on Google.
__________________
'90 Volvo 760 Turbo Wagon. 196K miles. B230FT, AW71. iPd turbo camshaft+pulley, Bilstein HDs, strut tower brace, iPd Swaybars, 16" Elbrus wheels on spacers

'95 Volvo 940 Sedan. 265K miles. B230FD, AW71L. The "New" car. Antila wheels on spacers, iPd VX camshaft.

Sold-'91 Volvo 240 Sedan

FOR SALE $350 OBO/Trade wheels: 240 steel wheels with Goodyear Ultragrip WINTER Tires

Non-Volvo:
1980.5 FIAT X1/9. The back-road and autocross toy.

1979 Yamaha XS Eleven
al_ngl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 05:38 AM   #2
nordmaschine
forced instruction
 
nordmaschine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: The Balkans, BiH
Default

Strange. I'm a bit taller, but I never had that issue, probably have 5-6 more "levels" to go back and no, I don't have short legs.

Do your seats have height adjustment?
__________________
Jetronic is romantic.
- '94 965 - D̶2̶4̶T̶I̶C̶, then M̶5̶0̶B̶2̶5̶ now OM606.962.
- '90 744 turbo 16 valve LPG - B204GT/M90 - trophy w̶i̶f̶e̶ car.
- '89 764 B280F - Daily barge.
- Various 740's, 940's, 960's and a couple of 760's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjets On a Plane View Post
Whiteblocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
I think I might be too stupid to own a car.
nordmaschine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:29 PM   #3
Slimssousa
Board Member
 
Slimssousa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: California
Default

I'm gonna go look at my 740 seats right now and see if I can do that too. Inm 5-9" and I still need more leg room. My seats are fully adjustable but I'm still cramped.
Slimssousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:03 PM   #4
al_ngl
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lafayette, IN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nordmaschine View Post
Strange. I'm a bit taller, but I never had that issue, probably have 5-6 more "levels" to go back and no, I don't have short legs.

Do your seats have height adjustment?
Yeah I have the height adjustment, and I have to raise the front and tilt the rear back to be comfortable. I am a large guy overall, not really lanky, so that probably accounts for some of it. I'm also probably a little more leg than torso.
al_ngl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
James10952001
Board Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Woodinville, WA
Default

The issue I have is the seat back, the 700/900 are better than the early 200 but even on them the top of the headrest is too low. On the early 240 seats the top of the headrest ends up just above the base of my skull. I've always found it a bit odd since I'd have thought the seats would be designed for tall Swedes, I'm 6'1" so taller than average but not exceptionally so.
James10952001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #6
al_ngl
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lafayette, IN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James10952001 View Post
The issue I have is the seat back, the 700/900 are better than the early 200 but even on them the top of the headrest is too low. On the early 240 seats the top of the headrest ends up just above the base of my skull. I've always found it a bit odd since I'd have thought the seats would be designed for tall Swedes, I'm 6'1" so taller than average but not exceptionally so.
Huh. The headrest is the right height for me, so at the same height I must have more leg, comparatively. Leg room is always way more of an issue for me than headroom is.

So far this "mod" has worked out really well. Took the car on a spirited back road drive, and could still access the wheel and pedals plenty for full control, as well as having enough room to be comfortable. Definitely the best improvement for the amount of time spent for anything I've done to the car so far!
al_ngl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #7
Matt86
Board Member
 
Matt86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA
Default

Biggest complaint I've had with the 900 series, is the lack of headroom in the sunroof cars. I'm a tall guy with a big head and even with the seat in the lowest position my head was maybe an inch and a half from the headliner.
__________________
1998 V70R
1989 245 DL
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 06:41 AM   #8
Otto Mattik
Board Member
 
Otto Mattik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_ngl View Post
...by removing two roll pins!

I am only 6'1" tall, but I find that the three Volvos I've had, apart from possibly my 760, were just a tiny bit on the cramped side for leg room. Well, today I tested a long held suspicion I've had as to whether more usable leg room can be gained in mere minutes simply by removing the two roll pins that are in the rear of the seat rails, as well as the rubber stoppers in front of them. I put the seat all the way back, and sure enough, the seat on my 940 had two more slots to go backward, but was locked out by the roll pins. A few minutes wiggling with vise grips, and I have at least an inch more legroom!

Granted, the roll pins were probably there for a safety reason, either to keep the seat from moving backward in a rear-end collision, or to keep the driver at a certain proximity to the airbags in the event of a front-end crash. Either way, the rear seat bolts stop the seat from coming off the rails, and if I really worried about it I could put longer bolts in with a stack of washers to make sure it was as good as two tiny roll pins.

Had anyone discovered this before? I didn't find anything on Google.
Has the seat arrangement changed over the years ? Did Volvo move the seats forward one notch ?

* Mandella Effect ?
__________________
Originally posted by Jack
"You talk about parts cannon but you throw the Obamacare diagnostic tool orgy onto this like it's a cloned embryo of baby Jesus"
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
al_ngl
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lafayette, IN
Default

I don't know how it could be a Mandela Effect, what are you saying the masses are mis-remembering about Volvo seat rails?
al_ngl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #10
Streetliight
Board Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Anchorage, AK
Default

My issue with my 245 is my long legs. I had to swap out the stock steering wheel for a Momo Prototipo, because my left leg would either hit the steering wheel when using the clutch, or I'd have to have it all crooked to the left and hitting the door. That being said, now the steering wheel blocks the gauge cluster and I have to move my head around in order to see how fast I'm going. Just can't win
Streetliight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:40 PM   #11
Benjam83
Moar Volvos than Queen B
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Peoria Illinois
Default

Dude's 6'1", but has a 38" inseam....
__________________
Ben

12 WRX Hatchback
10 Subaru Outback
93 245 m47
Benjam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #12
Broke4speed
Board Member
 
Broke4speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Marionville, Ontario, Canada
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetliight View Post
My issue with my 245 is my long legs. I had to swap out the stock steering wheel for a Momo Prototipo, because my left leg would either hit the steering wheel when using the clutch, or I'd have to have it all crooked to the left and hitting the door. That being said, now the steering wheel blocks the gauge cluster and I have to move my head around in order to see how fast I'm going. Just can't win
Dude, 6'1" here and I have/had the same issue. I had to hack up a WRX seat and custom mount it, just to get an inch's worth of space between my knees and the wheel. The stock sponges that pass for seats in these cars are TERRIBLE, IMO.
__________________
1984 B21T (formerly A), AW71(minus L).
Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #13
Dn240
Board Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Colorado
Default

I'm 6'1 and I almost didn't go with buying the 245 six months ago because the cockpit is so tight for me. It's the only negative for me, but now I'm going to try this mod out and see if I can squeak out an extra inch or two!!
__________________

Black '92 245,250k miles....MY car
Black '06 S60,160k miles My Wife's car
Dn240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 01:01 PM   #14
Bo 245 Vice
Board Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Default

Im around 6'2 with a 245 I dont have a headroom problem but I feel that if i get into an accident my knees will infact become a crumple zone, and my right leg always hits with the center console, i may add memory foam there
Bo 245 Vice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #15
rom
Board Member
 
rom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: back home in the big apple.
Default

6'4 here, i always feel my hair brushing the headliner. I could use a little less height on the seats. that said, i never have to use the sun visors so that's a bonus.
__________________
Religious people scare me.
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:16 AM   #16
Otto Mattik
Board Member
 
Otto Mattik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Midwest
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
6'4 here, i always feel my hair brushing the headliner. I could use a little less height on the seats. that said, i never have to use the sun visors so that's a bonus.
On the front and rear of driver seat are the 2 short height adjustment levers.
Try to lower all the way, if you haven't already ?

Last edited by Otto Mattik; 08-12-2017 at 08:26 AM..
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:52 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.