home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 08-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #1
Dn240
Board Member

Default '92 Body Molding

Rubber molding on the bottom of doors, it's coming off.

What is the norm protocol to do here? I sorta would like to keep/refinish it. I think that would be easier than filling in the holes left if it were to be removed.

Is there NOS out there that's reasonably priced? Was the original color black or grey? It's grey now but that's from oxidation.

Let me hear what you guys think on the matter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0501.JPG (94.7 KB, 107 views)

Black '92 245,250k miles....MY car
Black '06 S60,160k miles My Wife's car
Dn240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #2
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

I believe it's NLA.

Yes you can dye it or paint it, whichever you prefer.

Double sided tape or trim adhesive will restick it.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi a stock can support?

Redwood Chair is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #3
smeha
Tranny Whisperer

Flat black paint for plastic and 3m double sided tape. Cleaning with goo remover and dental floss. Did it 5 years ago and still going strong on mine
I've been molested by a guy who happened to own 7 and 9 series
smeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #4
Dn240
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeha View Post
Flat black paint for plastic and 3m double sided tape. Cleaning with goo remover and dental floss. Did it 5 years ago and still going strong on mine
Ok few questions:
If used 3m double sided tape, isn't that tape thick? So wouldn't there be a gap once the trim was set back to the body? Maybe I'm picturing in my mind the wrong stuff?

And what's the dental floss for???

5 years wow that's a nice run time!
Old 08-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #5
Dn240
Board Member

Ok found this:
http://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-u...3241071&rt=rud

Makes sense, I'll buy this stuff!
Old 08-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #6
nel621
Board Member

The dental floss is so you can remove the trim completely. You could just carefully peal it off. The trim will have remnants of the old tape. You need to remove that and also get a good clean surface on the door so it all sticks together. I shaved the old tape off then lightly sanded it before using the 3M tape. After you get the sticky off of the door you may want to go over it with rubbing alcohol so it is nice and clean. 3m the trim top , bottom, and middle. After washing and lightly sanding my trim I painted it with SEM trim black. Been about 4 years still looks like new.
nel621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 11:56 PM   #7
zimmerdale
Board Member

I had good results using Automotive Goop to stick the ends back on without removing the whole trim. I smeared it on with a popsicle stick and clamped it overnight with a block of wood and some quick-grip clamps.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-GOOP-.../dp/B000CCID28

Then I used Forever Black with good results. I used it on the trim, mud flaps, and bumpers of my 1988 240, and I lightly sanded and sprayed the rockers with flat black. I like how it turned out.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5262...-forever-black

If you want good results, you have to carefully mask everything and work the Forever Black on like paint with a good brush.

More photos: https://goo.gl/photos/R3466mqY4UJCjXR27

This car now resides in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
1992 244 (blue) 260k miles
1958 444 (jalopy)
--------------
1988 245 DL (tan) 221k (sold)
1978 245 (white) 200k (sold)
1990 244 (red) 241k (parted and sold)
1991 944 GLE (black) 194k (parted and crushed)
1988 745 (green) 260k (parted and crushed)
1975 245 (white) 75k (parted and crushed)

My Feedback
zimmerdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:12 AM   #8
2manyturbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nel621 View Post
The dental floss is so you can remove the trim completely. You could just carefully peal it off. The trim will have remnants of the old tape. You need to remove that and also get a good clean surface on the door so it all sticks together. I shaved the old tape off then lightly sanded it before using the 3M tape. After you get the sticky off of the door you may want to go over it with rubbing alcohol so it is nice and clean. 3m the trim top , bottom, and middle. After washing and lightly sanding my trim I painted it with SEM trim black. Been about 4 years still looks like new.
A near perfect match is SEM dark gray bumper coater.
2manyturbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 12:22 AM   #9
Dn240
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerdale View Post
I had good results using Automotive Goop to stick the ends back on without removing the whole trim. I smeared it on with a popsicle stick and clamped it overnight with a block of wood and some quick-grip clamps.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-GOOP-.../dp/B000CCID28

Then I used Forever Black with good results. I used it on the trim, mud flaps, and bumpers of my 1988 240, and I lightly sanded and sprayed the rockers with flat black. I like how it turned out.

https://www.ipdusa.com/products/5262...-forever-black

If you want good results, you have to carefully mask everything and work the Forever Black on like paint with a good brush.

More photos: https://goo.gl/photos/R3466mqY4UJCjXR27

This car now resides in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
So what would be the best use of my time? Do you think? Apply/use forever black, or paint new black on rubber? Seems cost wise would be abou the same.

Since you have used the product I'm curious what you think.
Old 08-10-2017, 12:26 AM   #10
Dn240
Board Member

Or SEM dark grey bumper cover(thanks 2manyturbos) which would probably look better on a black car......right!
Old 08-10-2017, 01:35 AM   #11
2manyturbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dn240 View Post
Or SEM dark grey bumper cover(thanks 2manyturbos) which would probably look better on a black car......right!
The SEM is literally a dead on match for the original color. I think it looks better to have some contrast. Grey in black vs. all black.
Old 08-10-2017, 11:56 AM   #12
zimmerdale
Board Member

If you want black, I would use Forever Black. I liked the control of brushing rather than spraying. I could do the trim pieces over the bumpers (with the integrated metal) with just some careful cutting in with a small brush. Masking off that metal would be a pain, in my opinion.

If you want gray, use the SEM. I've used SEM interior paint products and loved them.

On all of my 240s, it seems like the bumpers and trim are black and the mud flaps and door trim pieces are gray. That would mean two products if you're going for OEM.
zimmerdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:27 PM   #13
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Pull off the trim. A heat gun on low or a blowdryer may help more of the goop come off with it. Then plastic scraper, heat, maybe some chemical help to get the goop of the car.

I used a wire wheel in a drill to knock the goop off the trim. Then, yes, 3M trim adhesive; the thin, not the wide roll to put it back on. Available at auto stores for about $10 a roll which is enough for at least one trim piece.
Old 08-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #14
2manyturbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by zimmerdale View Post
If you want black, I would use Forever Black. I liked the control of brushing rather than spraying. I could do the trim pieces over the bumpers (with the integrated metal) with just some careful cutting in with a small brush. Masking off that metal would be a pain, in my opinion.

If you want gray, use the SEM. I've used SEM interior paint products and loved them.

On all of my 240s, it seems like the bumpers and trim are black and the mud flaps and door trim pieces are gray. That would mean two products if you're going for OEM.
I am suggesting the SEM for the side cladding and mudflaps only. I would not recommend using any sort of paint on that rubber portion of the beltline trim or for the bumper trim.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:11 PM   #15
carver
You did what?!?!

Alternative 3M double sided tape. Better than the red stuff.
carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:16 PM   #16
dbarton
Bored Member

I'm a skeptic of the 2-sided tapes. I've used those expensive 3M tapes and had failures.

This is what I recommend: 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive. I have used it many times over the years and it does not fail.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-08008-Blac.../dp/B01LQP1QIC

Pull it all off and clean and do your re-dye, etc. Then apply plenty of adhesive and tape the moldings on and leave it until the next day.
Dave B.

'84 242ti, owned since 2003, still somewhat of a daily driver. Always garaged: Original and still excellent paint except for the "new" flat hood. Old-school front *because I like it*. Original B21FT, SDS EFI and IGN, Mitsubishi TD04HL-15G, WC T5Z trans, 3.91 rear w/G80 locker, Unitek&ST Phase One cam, Cooling Mist ethanol injection.
Non-Volvo driver: 2013 Subaru WRX.
Dave's Volvo Pages:
DaveBarton.com
PrancingMoose.com
240Turbo.com
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #17
nel621
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
A near perfect match is SEM dark gray bumper coater.
Never liked the dark gray. My 89 240 is dark blue so the black looks really good with it. My 90 is black and has that faded gray trim. It too will soon be black.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:25 PM   #18
nel621
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carver View Post
Alternative 3M double sided tape. Better than the red stuff.
I purchased my 3M double sided tape from an autobody supply house. It is packaged as VHB with the red tape. Some of the 3M stuff at auto parts stores looks the same but is not rated as VHB ( very high bond). Go figure.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:26 PM   #19
nel621
Board Member

Forever Black fades.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:09 PM   #20
57plymouth
Board Member

I want to just take mine off. But I don't want to look at the holes and I'm not ready to paint it yet.

Ug
57plymouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #21
Dn240
Board Member

I went into store today to look at 3m product, the double sided tape looks thick like it is made of foam, what's up with that? The kid at the store said there is no gap but I can't see how that's possible. Plus I live in Colorado so I don't see tape living that long in this environment.
So I'm going with DBarton on this one guys, glue it is!!

Thanks for all the input, Much appreciated!!
Old 08-11-2017, 03:05 AM   #22
Otto Mattik
Board Member

Glue easier than removing.
Get a good 2 part epoxy glue, clamp it, let dry in moderate temps

Last edited by Otto Mattik; 08-12-2017 at 08:14 AM..
Otto Mattik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:30 AM   #23
2manyturbos

The 3M VHB tape works fine. That is what auto manufacturers have been using since the 80s.

It is also basically what Volvo used on the 240. I have been using it to replace door cladding on 240s since 2004.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #24
dbarton
Bored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyturbos View Post
The 3M VHB tape works fine. That is what auto manufacturers have been using since the 80s.

It is also basically what Volvo used on the 240. I have been using it to replace door cladding on 240s since 2004.
I've used 3M VHB tapes many type over the years and I too was lured in by their hype initially. I found that hot sun exposure softened the adhesive and would cause failures. Not always, but if you want permanent, VHB is not always the answer. I can go into more detail, but the bottom line is the 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive dries, but stays flexible and WILL NOT soften in the sun.
Dave B
dbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:43 PM   #25
carver
You did what?!?!

Guess you have to live in the PNW for the VHB to work...
carver is offline   Reply With Quote