• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Quoted $800 USD for a 3" catback and muffler???

89_740Turbo

Hey family,

So I brought my 740T into a custom exhaust shop and they quoted me $800 USD for a custom 3 inch exhaust and muffler. That seemed like a lot. Anyone know if this is a legit price or too high? Thanks.

It's not extra outrageous, but I'd consider 600-650$ more reasonable (turbo-back). Around here anyway.

It's not a crazy price. Depends on also on what kind of parts they're using. Are they using cheap mufflers and cheap steel or nicer mufflers, v bands, stainless steel? And if they do good work I think that's a pretty reasonable price.

You could buy some straight pipe and a few mandrel bends and the muffler of your choice and take it to another shop and just tell them what you want. The exhaust is not complicated to do.

depends on the quality of work and material.

If its all SS Tig welded mandrel bent stuff. Thats completely fair.

depends on the quality of work and material.

If its all SS Tig welded mandrel bent stuff. Thats completely fair.

This.
Local shop does header back for ~150-$250. It's not SS, it's not mandrel bent, and it's not TIG welded.

I vote make it yourself. Made my 3" from turbo for like 200$. Just find a buddy who can weld. The welds don't have to be pretty, just functional.

Maybe he doesn't want it to sound like a swarm of tin cans... I only kid. I've only got a Vibrant resonator. Works for me. Sounds like 5-6 tin cans in a blender

How bout this, come to my place and I can make you an exhaust for only 550$ (not including materials) and you can be happy that you saved money and disappointed at the poor craftsmanship... Win win

On sale, your lucky day. Under $410 shipped, if you're ok with 2.5 inch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OBX-Catbac...m2efd70a922:m:mqunE1dQIgfwpfeqY_NL0Ng&vxp=mtr

Can I threadjack for a minute?

It's $440 shipped to me just 2 days after you posted. I've been interested in changing out my exhaust to a quality 2.5" Stainless Steel system. I'm 51 years old and am willing to pay a bit more for quality, and because my car isn't a race car, a level of quietness. I was ready to get one of the OBX Catback systems, but then my daughter got into an accident with my car. Now that I have the replacement car (another '92 940T) pretty ironed out, I'm looking again into a SS 2.5" system.

Does anyone here own one of the 2.5" OBX systems? Just looking to make sure these are good systems before I pull the trigger. I would LOVE to get my hands on a TME system (used is fine) but since I can't find one, I want to make sure that these OBX systems are the next best things.

Does anyone here own one of the 2.5" OBX systems?

I have the non ss version. There's a few others running this exhaust.

It's not a direct bolt on. The hangers on the rear muffler are just down right wrong and the bolts supplied for the connection to the downpipe are too large in diameter.

I'm not real crazy about it, but it is an improvement from the stock system.

Back