• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

supra tranny question

A

Anonymous

i was running through the mods section on here and noticed the tranny swap, i have my old 240 dl 5 speed but it wont handle the power of my 83 turbo. but i saw the supra tranny swap. im not sure if this would be worth it, is it? im looking for more of a top end while keeping a good low end. later on im going to be adding an intercooler and BOV and the tranny swap if it is worth the money. does anybody have any good info on this from doing the swap?

I would wait untill you do some more mods before you do a tranny swap. You can get plenty of good power before having to replace the tranny. But if you have the money to do it go for it!

Intercooler should come before the BOV. What kind of power is the 83 turbo making (sans intercooler) that you already need to swap the trany? The m46 should be good for the mid to low 200s (250 max?).
nick

well i was reading up on a few things and read that the BOV saves the trubo ( thats a for sure fact ) but it was also saying that it would save the intercooler. that im not sure of but hey a decent BOV is not to expensive. as for the intercooler i was thinknig just get a volvo OEM IC and just put it in there, im not looking to race the hell out of my car, keep it a daily driver but make it fun (saving up for a datsun 510 to race to hell).

for the tranny, im not to worried about the power it can handle just yet. but i am thinking of a stronger clutch later on down the road. i just want more of a top end, maxing out to around 85 is no fun anymore lol. miss being able to cruize around on the freeway at a comfortable 100.

Cole

by the way TRBO242

where in oakland are you located...

... im here in alameda :-)

who is your mech. c-5 ?

im not quite sure on this, a little new to volvos but wouldnt a BOV screw things up? arnt volvos stock with a by-pass valve and not a blow off valve?
i have read somewhere that becuase of the way the fuel injection works, a blow off valve would cause a rich condition? not sure on this tho..

correct, a BOV dumping outside would let it get rich on decel as compared to a recirculating bypass. good point.
As far as the trans, yeah, I would wait too.

Back