• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

S/V/C input from Volvo-tech wanted about GearTronic

Janspeed

my car is a 2001 V70T5 with a GearTronic slushbox.
it has done at least 300000miles.
20000miles ago i had the geartronic flushes and i am using JWS3309, brand: BG
as long as the ATF is reasonably cool it shifts OK but once the ATF is warm it starts flaring between 2nd and 3rd once 3rd engages it goes in with a bang..
shifting from N to R or from N to D sometimes also happens with a bang.
The hotter the ATF, the worse the shiftactions.

questions:
- what is the diagnosis of my geartronic? is it FUBAR?
- what if i replaced the ATF with a thicker ATF? (which brand/type would you recommend?)

update: the slushbox has been changed. The 'new' one shifts much much better. However... it still flares about 500rpm on the upshift from 2nd to 3rd. (only when i accelerate slowly with the engine under 2200rpm.) 3rd does not go in with a bang, so I guess it's slip? Right?

I have VIDA:
I reset the ATF counter
I reset the adaptations
I switched the learn-mode on and did the driving routine in low, mid and high rev ranges

Since you guys in the US are very familiar with those slush transmissions i have some questions:
How long does it take for the TCM to adapt to my driving style?
Are my expectations to high? I want possitive upshifts without slip that i can feel. Am i asking to much?

Pm utahgtbrick he's knowledgable on these early 2000 cars here

Pm utahgtbrick he's knowledgable on these early 2000 cars here

good tip. Will remember that.

however, i did already make some progress. I replaced my rear lambda sensor today. This fixed the oscillating idle . If the idle speed is oscillating up and down it means there is also no stable ATF-pressure in the trans. Which in turn will mess up the learned behaviour of the trans. which in turn will mess up the shifts.

I could be imagening it but it seems the shifts are already getting crispier.

I believe it can take up to 2 weeks for the trans to learn. Generally with rough shift issues the first things to try to remedy it are A: flush fluid, B: upgrade software, C: re-adapt. So you've already done at least 2 of those. '01 and '02 transmissions were problematic (possibly '03 too?). I've seen many require replacement.

edit: I believe a trans shop can repair them

Last edited:
Back