• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Question - B6304 +t ?

eurotrash940

I'm tired of my worn out B230F that was "rebuilt" by someone who just threw new bearings in and called it a day.

I want to go nuts, but keep it Volvo powered.

I know of a guy who has a B6304 - can this engine be +t fairly easily? What kind of ECU would I have to run this engine turbo'ed?

I just don't want to mess around - if I am not going back stock n/a - then I want 250-300hp.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Feel free to sell me on a better/easier idea.

Thanks Tom - I guess I wanted to know if there was a more reliable setup than a stock n/a B6304 +t running on MS like Kenny's black wagon.

The donor is a 960, btw - with ECU/EZK and harness included.

What would you folks do? My goal is 250-300 hp and super-reliability.

I want to do a 16v swap at least - so maybe I stick with B234?

His is a t6 sir. (kenny's that is)

You can get 250~ hp with the b6304 with chips and an exhaust, so It might be feasible.

My bad - Tom Wiley pointed me there and from what I could tell he was +t-ing a B6304 - can't read that thoroughly (at work).

One step at a time....

Start with a +T.

I have done engine builds and swaps (aircooled VWs), +t (on 5.0L mustangs), etc.

This is not my first experience with modifying cars, just my first foray into Volvos. I only have time+patience+space+money to do this one-time...so I want to do it right.

I can't find a good turbo car for a donor and this B6304 just kind of fell in my lap.

We got 185whp out of a 200k mile B6304 NA with an auto and the converter unlocked. Seat of the pants tune on MS with a loose motor, small cams, stock cast iron exhaust manifolds and stock intake.

A good B6304 with the big cams, proper compression (not burning oil) and some serious tuning should be able to gte over 220whp, maybe more with a better flowing exhaust and intake.

A turbo to get to 250-300 is a waste, go NA and settle for less or shoot higher with the turbo.

As cheap as possible obviously - but I figure the following:

$250-350 for a decent long block (rebuild might be necessary, but current potential donor is 148K 1994 960 for ~$300)

then about a $650-750 to cover:

Odds and ends to make it run
Seals, belts, water and oil pump
Exhaust
Chips
Cams

Once I get it running and in the car, probably another $750 for the +t.

I plan on building it in stages - car will sit apart in the garage while I build it correctly.

Total $1000-1750 depending on how bad@ss I want it or until I run out of money or desire. :-)

Go for it. The hard part will be the electronics. I havent studied them too much, but I believe you need the tranny signals to run the factory ecus.

Not happening for 1750. Pick a different project. Especially for 250-300hp. Just +T a late b230 or a B23F and call it a day.

I love how these threads cue up dozens of expert responses from people with zero experience on the subject.

Either way - 114hp to 204hp will be a significant jump - if I could get 228hp out of a n/a B6304 I would consider it a mild success.

Back