• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Need suggestions

marx3

I am planning on putting in an m90. I have 3.31 rearend.
What gear ratio would you say is best for a pretty moderate power level ( below 300 crank)?
3.54 ? Car is a daily driver.

Daily driver. Mostly 50 mph and town. Some highway, but not often.
If I can find an m90 with the 0.7 5th I guess I can go 3.73 or even 4.10.
But I read in here that the 1st gear gets annoyingly short?

I think your better off with the 3.73's, the 4.10's would be annoyingly short with a manual transmission. I would try what you have in there now and see how you like it first and if it's a no go the 3.73 would be just dandy.

Yeah I thought so too. So 3.73 or 3.54 ? (Have an open 3.54 on a car that's going too the scrap.)

That's all on you, allot of people said I wouldn't like the 4.10's and well I loved them!! That gear ratio is tits for my setup ;-).
I'd keep that set as well (3.54)!!! It's nice to have different gears on hand for different uses, I just swapped back to 3.73's for the winter and because I'm about to do a 500 mile trip.

Nice calculator! I wish I could try the aw71 with 4.10 before I go m90.
But I think 3.73 or settle with 3.54 will do!

3.31's, 3.54's, and 3.73's are great gears for turbo cars, once you go too short of a gear it'll make the car feel really "peaky"(Read: more 2-stroke-like powerband). Some folks enjoy the "peakiness" of short gears, though. :e-shrug:

So many factors here that there is no firm answer.
For my car, not a DD, I like low rear gears and a close ratio box. That keeps it in the power in every gear for max acceleration, but isn't the best option for the street.
Some like a short 1st to make it easy in parking lots, hills and stop and go traffic.
If you are concerned about gas mileage then calculate based on the OD ratio and tire size to get the rear ratio that allows you to cruise at your most efficient RPM.

I am a little concerned with mileage, but I have also grown very tired of the rubberband-like feel of the car due to the gearing combination. Absolutely NOTHING happens until boost comes on.
If I can cruise at 50 mph below 2500 rpm I am happy! So I will try and find a 3.73, or settle with a 3.54...

Back