• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

arduino boost controller anyone?

Thought I had posted the code and schematics to my blog. Guess not. Currently two working examples. I'll try to post it up when I get back to the U.S.

I'm building one, open source and doing a kickstarter.

ebc.jpg

Run time should be really fast even with an Uno. You will need a pressure transducer and a PWM (pulse width) operated valve.

There are a lot of ways to do it, but the simplest way would only take about 15 lines of code.

Pseudo code for single port WG actuator:

read sensor
if sensor reading < max pressure - error threshold;
close valve
else if sensor reading = max pressure +- error threshold;
return;
else if sensor reading > max pressure + error threshold;
open valve
end if

That code would theoretically, allow no intake pressure to the wastegate actuator and keep the wastegate closed until it hits the max desired pressure. You would probably want this to be more gradual, which would add two or three more lines of code.

If you do go for electronic boost control, you would have more control with a dual port WG actuator.

with this code you would need the solenoid to be in the closed position by default. If anything went wrong. it would always overboost.

if you tried to use this code with the solenoid in the open position by default for a fail safe. then the code would burn out the solenoid when you are cruising, by keeping it energized too long.

this would be a good function call but the main code would have to need some other input to trigger this function. like a minimum threshold boost of a few psi to activate the controller or a tps input that can activate your code after a minimum tps of 70%

I'm guessing by the bottom of his board if you google OSEBC you ought to be able to find details

Although I haven't been able to find anything like that quite yet

Last edited:
Very cool. What's the deets? Any testing yet?

Shoot, I just realized we owe eachother a hang out sometime. I'm out by cityview park/kerncliff almost every day.

Files are not online yet. I was going to run a kickstarter, and then release the files when it ends or when I have a final version, right now its early stages. I am going to make a plug n play kit that plugs into the cigarette lighter and hit up a track seeing if guys want to test it out. 5 Minute install.

I don't want people blowing up their vehicles with my design just yet.

If you want to test it in your Vo, we can make a day of it, I can get some footage and what not, then I can hook you up with one for cost of parts. This goes for any TBers in the area btw.

If you'd like to try a more advanced control algorithm, i.e. PID, there's a good write-up on the Arduino PID library available at: http://brettbeauregard.com/blog/2011/04/improving-the-beginners-pid-introduction/

[I wish the MS software developers would read this and fix their whacked MS2 boost algorithms - whoever heard of a proportional-only config that takes the max overboost as the new set point until the engine drops back to idle???.]

wait what huh. I thought you guys were making the audrino one only cuz you didn't have ms?

ms boost control has PID

I played around with the MS2 boost control algorithms on the benchtop, using a hose and a syringe to exercise boost pressure. The MS2 PID algorithm was "quirky" to be polite. Based on this experience, I recommended using a MBC initially since I was worried that the MS2 code could unexpectedly cause significant over-boost during initial tuning. The MS3 uses different code so it may behave better.

The Arduino PID library looks like it has been properly implemented and tested, including a good understanding of real-world issues and checks.

ms2extra v3.3.3 has the ms3 boost code now. and has always had overboost protection mandatory to enable boost control

also open source so if you can code make your own.

Arduino is powerful but you wont get it to work better than some 1990's Blitz, HKS, Apexi or any other funky old jdm controllers without giving it more inputs like Throttle position, rpm,Vss,coolant temp,intake temp, turbine shaft speed, gps, excreta. At least the MS has the hardware already there dig into the code and make it better.

guess you could make the audrino connect via can-bus to get input data.

Last edited:
ms2extra v3.3.3 has the ms3 boost code now. and has always had overboost protection mandatory to enable boost control

also open source so if you can code make your own.

Nope, ms2extra 3.3.3 and even the latest pre-3.4 alpha 9, don't have the ms3 boost code (see the ms2_extra_misc.c file). And MS isn't really open source (source license agreement says: "Permission is required from the copyright holders before modified code may be distributed.").

Yes, there's overboost protection that will protect you (some) from the quirky PID code, but it would be nice if the code worked correctly to begin with.

Arduino is powerful but you wont get it to work better than some 1990's Blitz, HKS, Apexi or any other funky old jdm controllers without giving it more inputs like Throttle position, rpm,Vss,coolant temp,intake temp, turbine shaft speed, gps, excreta. At least the MS has the hardware already there dig into the code and make it better.

guess you could make the audrino connect via can-bus to get input data.

A lot of those old controllers didn't have all those inputs either. Also a lot of them top out at 24-27psi, which is not enough for some of us here.

Also a lot of them top out at 24-27psi, which is not enough for some of us here.

Something I found when doing some research and coding back in December is that it's kind of difficult to find output information on all of the available map sensors What voltage == what boost number for a 5 bar vs 2.5 bar sensor. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

If I can ever get this present project at work done (prolly this weekend), I'll get back at it.

Pressure transducers should have the transfer function and curves available from the manufacturer. If you're trying to use automotive ones, try the factory service manual, or just stick to lab ones that you can buy at digikey etc.

Pressure transducers should have the transfer function and curves available from the manufacturer. If you're trying to use automotive ones, try the factory service manual, or just stick to lab ones that you can buy at digikey etc.

That'll be the ticket. I was just hoping to find the info online. That seemed like I was constantly heading down holes that popped up on the other side of no where.

Back