• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Parshad's 740 build

double-duel

Hey guys i have decided to start documenting all aspects of what i am doing to increase the performance of my 740 for auto x and track. i Purchased the 740 in early july 2015 from Dan Cicalo who is a very close friend. I bought the vehicle with 135,000 miles on it and I have put 10,000 miles on it since. As it is my first car i have completely fallen in love with it and wouldn't replace it with anything!

Car info- So my car is a 1989 740 turbo m46 car with lh2,2 with ABS. car is black with black leather interior
a>

Mods installed before i bought the car- 15g, 90+ manifold, bilsteins, ipd springs, ipd sways, Yokohama S drives in 205 55 r15, ipd lower brace, panhard bar, manual boost controller, cone filter, bbs RA's 15x7, afr gauge , boost gauge, 960 cross member braces, poly radius rods bushings

Mods i have done- custom strut brace, s60r front brakes, yoshifab catch can, gutted trunk, gutted the rear seats, replaced driver side fender due to collision at auto x from previous owner, denso alternator, removed AC compressor, ****ty exhaust that is awfully done at a shop but it sounds really good, 235 45 r17 on presidents which are 17 x 7.5 rwd offset.
Crash-
a>

Strut brace-
a>

brakes with wheels-
a>

Swedish fender-
a>

Gutted back/trunk-
a>

S60r caliper swap - proceed with caution, Braking systems are critical use common sense. This is the way i did it, it may not be possible not the best way.
1. get calipers
2. Get brackets- http://www.l-m-r.se/p/volvo/740760/bromsar-37/s60rv70r-bromsadapter-volvo-740940-fram.html
3- mock up- you're gonna need to trim the dust shields to mock up u need some m12 bolts, your going to need to grind the bottom of the adapter to clear the ball joint plate and grind the back of the caliper tabs to get the adapters to sit flush with the tabs, take off as little as u can
4- you have to tap the caliper tabs with a m14 x 2 tap make sure to use a tap with a taper at the start and good tapping fluid. here is the tap i used https://m.grainger.com/product/15J4...9839!&ef_id=V2A0RAAABZqkCTLh:20160718220943:s
a>

a>

5. the m14 bolts have a 12 mm hex in them you have to get a socket hex to be able to tighten them enough i went to harbor freight
6. for brake lines i got 20 inch braided lines for stock steering angle they are perfect length and i think they will be good with kaplans roll center kit
7. bleed brakes

Last edited:
New update:

The brakes feel amazing and inspire a lot more confidence! My rear brakes are still completely shot and I am most likely going to fix my rotors and calipers and pads this weekend.

I recently weighed my car and was quite amazed. the car weighed 2883lbs with a little more then 1/4 tank of gas. i forgot to take a picture of all of the corner weights but i will update you guys when i get my car back up on the scales. My goal is to have the car close to 2700's with a full tank of gas.

I am going to be ordering kaplhenke seat mounts and a corbeau fx1 very soon and i will let everyone know what my thoughts on them are. I am also trying to get the steering wheel hu he carries and a steering wheel!

You don't happen to know what size fittings go on either end of the brake hose, do you?

If not I'll just order up a stock and an R hose to have my braided hoses mirrored off of.

Also, would you mind taking a photo of the brake hose at full lock?

I can take a photo for you tommorow! I do have a spare clean s60r line that you can take to your local shop you would just have to pay shipping. I do not know the names or codes for them

I can take a photo for you tommorow! I do have a spare clean s60r line that you can take to your local shop you would just have to pay shipping. I do not know the names or codes for them

Photo would be great. That won't be necessary, I have a decent assortment of fittings that I can use to get the information. Just looking for easy answers... :-P

Would you purchase the LMR brackets again if you were doing the swap again? I see on STS machining's website that they have a prototype set in the works.

Thank you to whom ever moved my thread over to the showroom section!

My problem with the lmr brackets is that they need to be modified to work. This shows that the designers were either incompetent or they didn't actually try putting them on the car. Through my journey of the swap i bought 2 different sets of brackets for Lmr. The first design was doomed from the start as i didnt want to lose brakes again! i ordered the second generation one which worked well with minor tweaking. for 120 bucks its not bad

That being said from the pictures i have seen of STS brackets for 240s i would get those instead. If it is a guaranteed fit that he will stand behind

Quick update

It has been a couple of weeks and i have made some progress on the build. I have installed my new steering wheel and new seat and really dig the set up right now!

a>

a>

I am in the process of replacing the rear brakes with re manufactured calipers and i am using hawk street pads, Unfortunately i didn't realize that you can most likely use 850 rear pads on the 38mm ATE calipers and i found out that for the 850 you can hawk hps+ pads which i may invest in later if i am not satisfied with my braking bias when all calipers on my car work.

Last edited:
I haven't went to a autox in a while and i am really anxious to go with my car having so many more modifications. My channel is some of my friends auto x videos and some of mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AluM7HNCKvA and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHHdLkKrzkw are both videos of me driving. I have a lot to improve on driving wise but i am not trying to be competitive with others i just want to increase my skills every time i auto x.

My next mods are going to be a lexan wing, and a truetrac differential. I understand that coils would give the 740 a lot of stability and would be way faster at auto x but truetrac is cheaper and give me the ability to chirp both tires which will be so much fun! i also have bought cores to modify when i buy all of kaplans coil over parts. so hopefully after true track it wont be long till i am on coilovers!

recent photo at peterpoolza 2016
a>

Last edited:
Was this car at Carlisle two years ago? Auto xing and hit the barrels? If so I was in the stands (on the hill) watching and impressed!

haha i remember this from carlisle!! badass hit the water barrels and kept it moving afterwards. it was pretty sweet.

edit: someone already said this :oops:

also that strut bar is cool as hell.

So i have been doing a side project of preping upright/ shock tube cores for the 740. I got them for a pretty damn good price and am really excited about em. They dont look that bad as of now and the spindles are in fantastic shape.
a>

The only problem i had with them was that the abs sensors were incredibly seized in there and as i was taking them out this happend
a>

its not a big deal cause ABS doesnt work on my car any way but it was a little bummer. The good thing is tho now i can take even more weight out of the assembly when i chop the steering arm off because i will be using kaplans roll center kit :)!

Last edited:
update on the assembly of the coilovers
a>

they are both ready to go into the sand blasting cabinet and then get tig welded. I need to get kaplans stop rings and sleeves first as there is no point in cleaning them and then waiting to weld them so they can get dirty again.

Last edited:
Back