• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

She's dead Jim, 8.8 swap?

From what I've been able to find the explorer parking brake cables go out to a bar that probably gets pulled by one single cable from the pedal mechanism. I was thinking of interfacing the Volvo cables at that point by drilling a couple holes in the bar, shortening the cables and using some of those u shaped cable clamps. I'll have to see what it looks like once I pull the 8.8. Thanks Vinny for the comprehensive write up but all that finagling and machining seems a lot more difficult that than welding up an axle tube. All for an axle 4 Wheeling magazine rates lower in strength than an 8.8. Jegs etc have C clip eliminator kits that take care of the 8.8 main weakness. I was sold on its strength watching the 901hp Dyno on other thread, I'll never make that kind of hp/tq with a redblock.

A buddy had an 8.8 in his 69 valiant/2JZ drag car. Ran high 8's, lifted the front wheels 12" on launch. Never broke a thing. The Toyota axle myth needs to die.

The Toyota axle myth needs to die.

What myth?

A $100 junkyard 1031 in the 373:1 flavor?

This is a perfectly reasonable option because:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/K0qnt5rTCoo" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sure, the 200lb stick out back will be a good offset to the 70/30 weight distribution with a turbo cast iron v8! 2019: the year of the 4000lb 242. :rofl:

I should get a shop hoist scale and see what the real difference is between the alu 5.3/CD009 and the redblock turbo/T5 combo.

Just roughly eyeballing the front suspension ride height, the V8 isn't heavier. Not all the parts are in it yet, though.

:nod:

Gotta be there the day they set them in the junkyard though, because the Mexican guys pull the axles and grab those pumpkins right away.

I know man!

There is some guys around here that are always right on them.

I remember two winters ago, some V6 4runner arrived at the PnP in the middle of the winter right after 30cm of snow.

The place opens at 9am and I was there around 9:30/45.

Well the bastard came before me, dug in the snow and removed the pumkin.
Fawk!

I have two complete assemblys now (one on the car and one spare).

...and of course, since I don't need any now, there is a million Toyta whatevers showing up in junkyards.

:roll:

^ Kudos!

You're a braver / more determined man than I am, a little rain chases me out of the junkyards.

To be honest, it's not really a matter of choice.

if you can keep your fingers and toes from freezing I'll work in the snow over the rain any day.

This, all the way, I think I even prefer the winter to really warm summer days when you just end up covered with grease and sweat.

A Ford 9" isn't really that heavy, I got mine out of the truck myself (dam heavy for 1 guy) the axles weren't in it but the 3rd member was... how much do these other rears weigh?

Back