• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Seeking intel on 140 electrical controls interior

Alan.K

As a first time 140 owner, I have some super boring questions on function and repair of the electrical controls on my 1972 142e.

First off, how does one turn on the high beams? If I pull back on the turn signal stalk, the high beams will flash on, but as soon as I let go of the stalk, it returns to its neutral position and they go off. Should the stalk 'click' and stay in the pulled back position? Are the indents in my stalk broken? Do I need to pull harder (I don't want to break it)?

Another minor issue is the fan speed. The fan knob has two positions, but the fan speed is the same in both positions. I'm guessing it is the high speed that works (blows pretty hard) and the low speed is inoperative. Is this a standard issue failure with a known fix? Such as "replace this resistor in this location and you'll be good" Being that it runs the same on both switch positions, I'm concerned someone may have put in a jumper wire and bypassed the low speed resistor (if that's how this car functions, just guessing)

Cheers!

No the stalk sounds like it's working right you probably have a bad step relay.

I don't think a resistor is involved with the 2 speed fan.

s-l225.jpg

The high beams should stay on by pulling back the stalk. No detent or anything, it's just an on/off. Maybe something's up with your wiring or relay?

For the fan, I'd bet that some of the wiring on the back of the switch is reversed. You can reverse two wires, which will make both positions of the switch act like the high speed fan setting.

So, pull and release to turn on the high beams, then pull and release a second time to turn them off?

Yes. Just installed the spare stepper relay that I found in the box of misc parts that came with the car, and high beams now function as described.

I will fiddle with fan wires next.

Thanks nice TB people for keeping me productive on this snow day.

Last edited:
For the fan, I'd bet that some of the wiring on the back of the switch is reversed. You can reverse two wires, which will make both positions of the switch act like the high speed fan setting.

You called it! Wiring was out of order on the switch.

Correct order:
Yellow wire: +
Red wire: #1
Green wire: #2

I had to check the owners manual to confirm that low fan speed is with the knob pulled all the way out, and high speed is with the knob pulled out half way. Intuitively I assumed it would be the reverse.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks for keeping another 140 on the road, I had several and loved them. They were not well rustproofed so use as a fair weather car will keep it running much longer.

Thanks for keeping another 140 on the road, I had several and loved them. They were not well rustproofed so use as a fair weather car will keep it running much longer.

I found it in Vancouver Canada, so its got the cancer. It's in southern Idaho (dry climate) now, so that should buy it some extra years. A restoration of the body will cost many multiples of what I paid for the car. So I'm doing a full mechanical refurbishment and driving it for now. I'll either repair the rust later, or find a dry shell and transfer the mechanical and interior over. Time will tell.

Back