• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

best cleaner for headliner. seriously

90volvo

Anyone have a good recommendation (cleaning agent & method) on how to best clean one's Volvo 240 headliner? This may seem like a silly question, but everytime I have tried to clean a small, inconspicuous spot, I get a gray, smudge looking mark. Have tried just warm water, and I still get this smudgemark. Any ideas as to why? Any ideas about how to get a whiter,cleaner headliner out of this? So far Ive tried, purple power, windex, castrol cleaner, and few other junk. Volvo 240 1990

I've had good luck cleaning headliner and upholstery with mechanics hand wipes that I get at the dollar store.

IMG3917.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. Man was this thing filthy, I started with total awesome, then went to simple green. But ended up using magic eraser. What worked best? All of them.

i bought a steamer and use a very dilute dishsoap mixture and a soft sponge just to loosen some of the more stuck stuff.. works better than anything i've ever used in the past.

I have no idea how this would work on a Volvo vinyl headliner but I have another car with a polyester cloth headliner that gets soiled because of driving with the top down. Manufacturer directs that rubbing alcohol is appropriate for cleaning. Instead, I use brake cleaner. Spray it on and it takes the dirt off as it rapidly evaporates.

Had a window installer get black mastic on a new gray headliner once. Used some carbon-tetrachloride (dry cleaning solution) and it took it off with little effort.

Purple Power actually works great for removing that mastic. I got some on the carpet of a 940 with gray interior. When sprayed with Purple Power the mastic released itself from the fibers and came right off. I was both surprised and pleased. Any solvent based cleaners would have driven that crap right into the carpet.

I have no idea how this would work on a Volvo vinyl headliner but I have another car with a polyester cloth headliner that gets soiled because of driving with the top down. Manufacturer directs that rubbing alcohol is appropriate for cleaning. Instead, I use brake cleaner. Spray it on and it takes the dirt off as it rapidly evaporates.

It?ll melt vinyl

Back