home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 08-16-2007, 10:51 PM   #1
A-Rode
Exitus acta probat

Default 240 N/A cams?

Are there any out there that would up the performance of my 240 n/a?
or is it not worth it to get one?
'89 244 Sold
'92 245 Parked

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Blue 240 View Post
As we all know, turbobricks is a forum of highly educated, successful, and most importantly, wealthy individuals whose success is dependent on establishing high moral, societal, technical, and ethical codes for themselves and others.
A-Rode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:00 PM   #2
holtzboy
Back at it again

I have a b cam in my automatic 86 240 B230F and it has a lot more midrange to upper end power compared to my old M. I will soon swap to an m47 5 speed but it should still be a good NA cam.

My feedback thread
holtzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:15 PM   #3
isaac
F*ck the police

****ing Jesus.
"If you, the citizen, deliberately vote for someone who won't give you health care over someone who will, you need to have your head examined, except you can't afford to have your head examined." - Bill Maher
1998 Volvo V70T5
1989 Volvo 244DL
1990 BMW 52(3)5i
and Matt Dionne still rides with me
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:19 PM   #4
cst805
is so rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac View Post
****ing Jesus.
stfu snob. Not everyone has the seniority on this sight like you do, it's not the same group of people asking the same questions.

heres your keep em'.

and back on topic......

A, B, K, & M cams are all volvo cams, there are others out there like the VX. If I were you i'd get a adjustable timing gear and start with that. then find a hotter than stock cam to put in.

this should help too.
http://turbobricks.org/specs.php?content=camshafts

Last edited by cst805; 08-16-2007 at 11:29 PM..
cst805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
tjts1
Board Member

http://www.geocities.com/iadr1/b21.23cam.page.jump.html

Greed is good.
tits for president
tjts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:10 AM   #6
cortezit
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cst805 View Post
stfu snob. Not everyone has the seniority on this sight like you do, it's not the same group of people asking the same questions.

heres your keep em'.

and back on topic......

A, B, K, & M cams are all volvo cams, there are others out there like the VX. If I were you i'd get a adjustable timing gear and start with that. then find a hotter than stock cam to put in.

this should help too.
http://turbobricks.org/specs.php?content=camshafts
Thank you for putting thing into prospective. Seniortiy does not equate to crudeness or rudness. I am much older than most of you I think. When I think performance I think of MEN who did not resort to anything more that immaculate port work and carefully selected parts OFF OF THE SHELF to make their "ponies". That is the era that I grew up in. I think that camshaft, port configurataion, valve overlap and exhaust scavenging have their place in this arena just as much a "mergasquirt", nitrous and some other "instant gratification fixes".

Thank you for having the courage to voice what I have been thinking since the last post made in response to a simple quesrion by me.

Tom
cortezit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:52 AM   #7
A-Rode
Exitus acta probat

thanks guys, i really appriciate the input...
im looking at ways to up my performance with out turbocharging...
i know thats almost a sin to some of you, but i dont want to mess with my engine that much just yet

so i should look for the adjustable timing gear (ipd?) and then look for what cam, be it volvo or aftermarket...?
A-Rode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:22 AM   #8
towerymt
the real Towery

A or B is cheap and better.

VX gave my car a wide torque band.

K is more noticable (lumpy) at idle and comes alive in the mid/upper RPM range. It's dead off idle for the most part.
Originally Posted by Poik View Post
244s are drop dead ugly and suck.
towerymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:58 AM   #9
kammer
BLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by cst805 View Post

heres your keep em'.
Well said!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:52 PM   #10
isaac
F*ck the police

Quote:
Originally Posted by cst805;1362495sno
stfu b. Not everyone has the seniority on this sight like you do, it's not the same group of people asking the same questions.
Actually it is the same group asking the same questions. That's the whole point, genius. Seniority has nothing to do with learning to figure things our for yourself. I've asked maybe twenty questions on here in the six years I've been on turbobricks, and answered the remaining few hundred by looking up things on the damn site.

Now considering that this is a Volvo performance forum and I'd just arrived to the site and had a functioning brain I'd be safe in assuming that somewhere in the archives (perhaps even thousands of places) people may have already covered how to make a NA Volvo faster.

That'd seem to negate the OP's question, wouldn't it?

This forum is a giant doorway to a library of Volvo performance knowledge, and he's asking everybody but him to walk through the doorway, into the library, find his info for him, and bring it back to him.

and you think that's ok.

Don't give me your ****ing two cents and applause ****. Support doing the goddamn research, not asking questions that have already been documented a thousand times.

A-Rode, if you want the most bang for your buck, get a K cam from a canadian B23E, drill out your cam gear for a new locating pin that moves it 6 degrees advanced, and search for the timing advance trick on here. You'll pick up maybe 20hp for less than $100.

Last edited by isaac; 08-19-2007 at 04:01 PM..
isaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:19 PM   #11
AuzVolv
Board Member

Default N/A Stuff

A-Rode, I would be willing to hear anything on N/A perf.

Building a N/A myself for my boat - B23. I need to extract as much HP as I can without forced induction. The engine is proped to Max rev @5500, so I too need to find the most suitable cam for this range. I have the STD D cam, a spare D from the B23 I'm building and an A cam. I hope to try a K.
There is heaps of info on the board here.... I read, I read and I think that you need to try to find what works for your particular application.

Good luck... keep us posted..... I will.
AuzVolv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:44 PM   #12
CT
Really?????

Guys in Oz maybe have a chat with Ash - he's on here as Ashvolvo and he's done a fair bit of work in his NA 240. To the point that its a pretty quick jigger!!!

H cam is a pretty good start, but i believe that head work is where its at mostly with the NA's

HTH
Quote:
Originally Posted by coonmanx View Post
Yeah, owning a Volvo means spending more time on your back than Britney Spears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLowD9x View Post
Also, Having a rare S60R is like having a rare skin disease. It may be interesting and everyone can see it but no one wants it.
CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 03:20 AM   #13
242turbo9
Board Member

carb it.

80' 244 N.A= Junked
242turbo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 04:45 AM   #14
Chrisco
WRC addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac View Post
Actually it is the same group asking the same questions. That's the whole point, genius. Seniority has nothing to do with learning to figure things our for yourself. I've asked maybe twenty questions on here in the six years I've been on turbobricks, and answered the remaining few hundred by looking up things on the damn site.

Now considering that this is a Volvo performance forum and I'd just arrived to the site and had a functioning brain I'd be safe in assuming that somewhere in the archives (perhaps even thousands of places) people may have already covered how to make a NA Volvo faster.

That'd seem to negate the OP's question, wouldn't it?

This forum is a giant doorway to a library of Volvo performance knowledge, and he's asking everybody but him to walk through the doorway, into the library, find his info for him, and bring it back to him.

and you think that's ok.

Don't give me your ****ing two cents and applause ****. Support doing the goddamn research, not asking questions that have already been documented a thousand times.

A-Rode, if you want the most bang for your buck, get a K cam from a canadian B23E, drill out your cam gear for a new locating pin that moves it 6 degrees advanced, and search for the timing advance trick on here. You'll pick up maybe 20hp for less than $100.
With Isaac on this one. From new TBrickers I expect it. But someone with 650+ posts should know to search before starting another thread on the same topic that comes up at least every other month. search "n/a power" or "n/a cam".

MODS: Bilstein HDs, Lesjöfors springs, sways, poly bushings, 2.5" exhaust, header, short throw shifter, Recaros, MS
and a V70R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
1981-1982 Euro style 242, with GLT trim, rules over all other 240's.
All other 240's quake in fear at the '81-'82 242GLT, they go weak at the knees & collapse due to an uncontrollable adulation that's near idolatry.
Chrisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:22 AM   #15
Hank Scorpio
Chubfest 2009 Survivor

hey guys can I put a 16v head on my b21?
History: Car 1 (242) | Car 2 (t5r) | Car 3 (255)
Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:53 AM   #16
BorderCity242
Board Member

instigator
BorderCity242 is offline   Reply With Quote