• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Boost Problems

A

Anonymous

I am having a problem with my Turbo. My old turbo (T3) went out and i got a rebuilt Garret T3 and converted to watercooled from oil.
The problem i am having is i cant get the turbo to boost past 5 PSI, I know i have a hole in my turbo intake hose, could that be the problem? I've had my mechanic adjust it and he said he couldnt turn it anymore and it still only went to 5PSI

HELP!

Is the hole pre-turbo (between air filter & turbo) or post turbo (turbo to intercooler to throttle body)?

If it's post turbo, you've found your problem. If it's pre-turbo, then I'd get it fixed and then check to see if it's your exhaust doing too much backpressure.

Remove your catalytic convertor and see if it boosts past 5 psi.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Its Pre-Turbo, its the hose that goes to the front of the turbo. I really dsont understand it, the other turbo spooled up a lot strongert then this one does with my old 2.25" exhaust but this turbo wont spool up as hard with the upgraded 2.5" exhaust. I will try to find a replacement hose for that but how would taking for the Cat add more boost?
I live in florida where there are no emissions test so taking it off wouldnt be a big deal at all, I just dont see how it would benefit

First off, a hole after the AMM lets in unmetered air and that's bad, mmmkay? I don't remember exactly what the deal is with that, try taping the hole off until you get a new hose.

Taking off the cat would relieve backpressure incase your cat is clogged or something. Too much backpressure = not enough exhaust velocity to spool the turbo.

Try taping off that hole in the pre-turbo hose first, and if that doesn't do it, try removing the cat. That's all I can think of unless your wastegate actuator doesn't work, but try the other things first and if they don't work, start looking at wastegate actuator.

Back