• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

HUB's 1968 122s Wagon Project

You most likely checked it but if the firing order is off an engine will back fire thru the carb just like in your video.

Unlikely, but on other thing that can cause a flashback like that is an intake valve stuck open.

Plenty of firing order diagrams and the angle of the distributor drive shaft is also shown at the link below:

Good Luck!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=vol...TlOzNAhXH4yYKHYzaBV0QsAQIKg&biw=1532&bih=1330

Last edited:
Dunno if you need the help with this, but there's a #1 TDC mark on the distributor. It's usually hard to see but it's there. So you set the engine at TDC and rotate the distributor until the rotor is pointing at this mark. Then you put the #1 plug wire in the hole above this mark.

boschdist.jpg

If the distributor won't rotate far enough because of wires or something hitting the engine, you remove it and remove the distributor drive shaft and line it up with different teeth on the cam gear.

This should at least get it to fire up and run.

Dunno if you need the help with this, but there's a #1 TDC mark on the distributor. It's usually hard to see but it's there. So you set the engine at TDC and rotate the distributor until the rotor is pointing at this mark. Then you put the #1 plug wire in the hole above this mark.

boschdist.jpg

If the distributor won't rotate far enough because of wires or something hitting the engine, you remove it and remove the distributor drive shaft and line it up with different teeth on the cam gear.

This should at least get it to fire up and run.

My guess is the distributor is the source of my problem. Appreciate the help.

Thanks,

You can put a distributor in about ten ways from Sunday it doesn't matter. IF the rotor is pointing at the terminal that the number 1 spark plug wire is in at the appropriate time.
Or TDC of the compression stroke on number one cylinder. (actually a little before but you'll fine tune that later)
After that the rest follow the firing order the way the dissy turns. A bump of the starter while watching the rotor will tell you the way.

Speaking of which I've seen plenty wired up backasswords. That'll make um spit fire out of the wrong places.

Cars looking really sweet!

You can put a distributor in about ten ways from Sunday it doesn't matter. IF the rotor is pointing at the terminal that the number 1 spark plug wire is in at the appropriate time.
100% true, that mark is located under one of the wire holes. Really there should be 4 marks and you just stick wire #1 into the one the rotor is pointing at while at TDC.

Evening everyone,

Removed the front cross member to gain access to the pan. Had loosen the oil pump to pull out the dizzy drive gear. Got the timing fixed this evening. Will put it back together this weekend or next week (waiting on a new oil pan gasket).
2lgW2Iel.jpg

r0RvNdul.jpg

Rtx4yfol.jpg

4vDAJUGl.jpg

6UUaMbkl.jpg

Got my hands on a free starter. Will put that in this weekend. Nothing wrong with the old one, but it's new and painted... So why not...
mBNjujwl.jpg

Will start working on the interior tomorrow.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Crappy deal with having to pull the pan. Hope it's all good! I can't wait to see the next bit. You have done really clean stuff so far.

Yeah... Wasn't to happy with it. I can only blame myself though. Haha. If this going to be the only problem I have with it though, I'm okay with that. haha.

Thanks,

Is that still the 1800 tunnel or did you fab something new? Also what is the orientation of the shifter to the seats? I'm thinking of doing this same T5 swap in my 65, but I'm worried the shifter will be to far back and between the seats.

Awesome build btw!

Last edited:
Is that still the 1800 tunnel or did you fab something new? Also what is the orientation of the shifter to the seats? I'm thinking of doing this same T5 swap in my 65, but I'm worried the shifter will be to far back and between the seats.

Awesome build btw!

Mike,

Appreciate your support. The front portion was a 1800 tunnel but was heavily modified. The back portion was just a custom metal piece. The shifter doesn't sit as far back as you think. I'm almost concerned about how much of a reach there will be. Won't know till I get the seats in.

Thanks,

Evening everyone,

Well I worked on the car some more. Doing all these little projects that keep adding up.

Mounted the regulator and rerouted the main fuel line. Need -6AN fitting to finish.
4K2Yux8l.jpg

Painted part of the tunnel. Will finish the rest this week.
dCL4NrXl.jpg

Cut part of the tunnel to make a removable plate for the shifter.
uwdWKFTl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Good evening everyone,

Did some more work on the car today. Focused on the floor. Not done, but you get the idea.
bN7XVdEl.jpg

xpPODuvl.jpg

M4sUCIfl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
I know you said you were getting different seats, but do you have any planes to install the stock seats? I wanted to see how close the stocks seats are to the T5 shifter. I want to do this same conversion, but again I'm worried about shifter placement.

Afternoon everyone,

Worked on the interior some more. Very happy with it so far.

Cigar of choice this afternoon: Gurhka Cellar Reserve (aged 12 years).
f4EK9J0l.jpg

YfQt9c8l.jpg

ngcN3N9l.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Good evening everyone,

Today I drove south to pick up another motor. Grabbed a b230f LH 2.4. I plan use it for a turbo setup. This isn't going in right away. This will just be something I'm going to build on the side.

Got the timing done, clip back in and car on the ground.
zYJpYMml.jpg

9LCgjLSl.jpg

Hknn42dl.jpg

lmo7fhBl.jpg

n5QPVrwl.jpg

bYlWiANl.jpg

6QixuOWl.jpg

Thanks,

Last edited:
Back