• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Gary's Daily Driver B230FT buildup

It's STRICTLY gonna be my street car/DD, which is why I'm sticking with the 2871. If I were going for all out insanity I'd be looking to grab a 3076 or so. Plus with keeping it on LH2.4 for now, I won't have the windability needed to get into the fun range for something larger. Still, a 2871 should make this thing borderline silly for a commute car.

It's STRICTLY gonna be my street car/DD, which is why I'm sticking with the 2871. If I were going for all out insanity I'd be looking to grab a 3076 or so. Plus with keeping it on LH2.4 for now, I won't have the windability needed to get into the fun range for something larger. Still, a 2871 should make this thing borderline silly for a commute car.

should be fun. post some videos when its running :)

IT'S ALIVE!!!

Fired up first try, cranked over 5-6 times and lit right off like it should! ECU's still learning so the idle's a little funky, but otherwise it went off seamlessly (aside from 1 connector on the temp sensor for the gauge not contacting, so no temp gauge for the first 2 minutes. Otherwise it has a MUCH different sound, much deeper, throatier, rev's FAR faster, vacuum at idle is FAR more consistent (18" steady at 1000rpm vs the flutter it had before). Not a whole lot else to say at this point. Oh, and the squealing at startup was the alt. belt...surface rust on the Denso, new belt, the normal stuff. The video should be uploaded in a few hours (135mb and only 315k upload speed).

I just wanna drive it!!

Only oddity is the oil pressure. 30psi at 900rpm hot, 50-ish at 3k hot. Seems like there should be more of a difference. Granted this is with a used sender though, but I was getting 55psi on a mechanical gauge when I primed the system at around a 700rpm-equivalent.

BWAHAHAHAHAA!!! Just took it for a test drive. Well, two actually. First one SUCKED. Seems as though when the turbo and exhaust were installed, the WG actuator was never hooked to the arm, so I had no boost (and a rather odd exhaust note). Came back, found that, fixed it, and test drive two ensued.

Response was much better, the motor is BUTTERY smooth at anything off idle, idle's a bit rough yet. ECU's are learning, engine's still a little tight. Kept it below 4k, WG is running 6-7psi, and it just feels SOO light on it's feet. Response to throttle input is immediate, spool is quick (though it's severely lacking top-end with only 7psi). Vacuum is ROCK SOLID at 16" at 800rpm (no flutter like the tired 530 or the 531 after the MS screwed it up), oil pressure is 30psi at hot idle, 60 at cold idle, 50 at 2k hot, 60 at 2k cold. With the SAM HD mount on the right (B20 mount on the left since SAM sent the wrong left side mount - 240 set instead of 740 set), it's got a little more vibration than the hydro's had, but there is NO motor movement at all. Rev the throttle and the engine moves MAYBE 1/4" without the ratchet strap!

Now to drive it and wait for the miles to add up so I can start adding boost back in....

Ok, guess an update after a couple weeks is in order. I've wound it to 4500 a few times and it's just, um, like butter!! Dialed the cam in, plus a little advance, and it pulls. HARD. Figured I'd try and get some idea of what it's gonna launch like a bit ago. Previous motor would start roasting em around 10psi at 3500. By the time I hit 3k at 5psi the back-end was going sideways in a cloud of smoke. Hmm, this is gonna be a bit of a problem when I get to the track I think......

All the initial issues I had have been figured out, it's so far not burning ANY oil in 500 miles, it's getting 18mpg in town in cold weather with the crap winter gas (better than the old motor), spoolup is awesome, off-boost power is there from 1200 on up, with a REAL pull coming in by 3500 and only getting harder as it winds up. AFR's are within check thus far, but it's still running strictly wastegate at 6psi, so we'll see what happens when I start opening it up. I have a feeling the trans and subframe are NOT going to be happy with me in a month or three....

Well, just did the 1k oil change. I actually drained 4 quarts out!! Hmm, guess that means it's not burning oil....

I've tried the 3" AMM and CFI's again with better luck, but still not something I'm comfortable running, since it won't go rich til 4k.

Having talked to a couple very knowledgeable engine builders, I've decided at this point I'm going to run on the stock rev limiter and actually wind it out, plus the boost is up to 10psi. I've wound it out a few times so far in 2nd to 5500 and MY GOD!!! Stock ECU and ICU and it was seriously pulling HARD. I swapped in the chipped ECU and ICU today, so once they learn I'll see what it's really capable of at 10psi. Maybe I'll run it next month for some 10psi times, then at 3k it's getting Syntec and 15psi, plus a few more numbers at the track. Should be interesting to say the least.

Also, I ran a cold/dry comp. test today. It's been starting on 3 cylinders sometimes then it picks the 4th up after 30-45 seconds. I got the following numbers (front to back) 165/185/180/175. Perhaps the rings are still seating a little and that should even out with time. At least I've got a little while before it's due for smog, but given that's with a warm engine, there shouldn't be any issues. :)

I hate LH.

I REALLY hate LH.

Otherwise the motor's doing quite well! Got the 65# injectors on it with an 012 AMM and I'm still fighting something cutting out at anything over about 8psi right now. Seems like as I added more fuel the cut got worse.

FWIW though I smogged it saturday. Passed at just above the average emissions with NO pre-smog 'adjustments' like I've done in the past. :)

I hate LH.

I REALLY hate LH.

Otherwise the motor's doing quite well! Got the 65# injectors on it with an 012 AMM and I'm still fighting something cutting out at anything over about 8psi right now. Seems like as I added more fuel the cut got worse.

FWIW though I smogged it saturday. Passed at just above the average emissions with NO pre-smog 'adjustments' like I've done in the past. :)

I see you hate it so much you double posted it. you have a pnp setup, don't you? or was that just renny

My turn to be jealous!

Thats some great work right there I don't care who you are. You know the mechanical side of Volvos is where its at. Damn the neccessary cosmetics! You have done the things I have wanted to do for my B23FT! The motor sounded great! I listened to the motor while catching up on the rest of the thread. I look forward to seeing it run at the track in person soon.
Bring them both to Davis! Thanks to my obsessiveness, I may be able to pull it off.

Kudos again to a guy quick to help others and always offering encouragement, excitement, interest, and expertise. Want to know what it was like in the "good old days" on the board? Check out Garys' action.

Back