• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvos from HELL logo

Freq

My dad and I have shirts that this design came from, but they're no longer being sold. He wanted it as a sticker to put on the grill of his green GT so we scanned a shirt and I spend a couple hours tracing the design. The only thing I changed was the colour and the part that says "Volvos". They obviously used a scan for "Volvo" and tacked a "s" from another font on, so I fixed that and moved it down so it was a wee more stylish. I have a PSD that's all vector if anyone wants one for printing, wallpaper, whatever. The sample is scaled down to 50%.

Volvos-from-HELL.png

:e-shrug: They ARE still for sale, by the guy that created it, and I believe has it copyrighted. . .

Was your originally red on a black shirt?

There's a guy that races a 122, used to have a team. I asked for permission to use it on a shirt for meet, and he wanted to charge me, showed me the paperwork as well. . .

Just double checked.

Still produced and sold.

Swedish Engineering in Ann Arbor, MI holds the license (so long as it has not lapsed)

If people are interested, they're a good price and I can probably get a discount on a BG, as I personally know the guy that runs the ordering. . .

My dad's old shirt was red on black, but he recently got 6 in white on black, saying they only had a handful left and he'd have to buy a large amount or something? It's been a while so I don't really remember. So I guess... don't sell this or use it in MI?

Well, I tried getting permission to use it for a VCOA event.

I'll be in touch with the guy that still prints them and check with him in the next day or two.

They still pring the black T-shirts with red lettering, and Black hoodies with red lettering.

Someone just redo it some... Needs more viking helmet on the skull anyway.

And I'm not a big fan of the font in 'from hell' anyway... Looks like something the guy ripped off from an old movie anyway.

So the VOLVO is from the car company, 'from hell' is from some movie or something... the flag looks pretty generic as a tattered pirate flag...

Can you copyright something that is clearly the property of 2 or 3 other people?

BTW, googling 'from hell' gets you LOTS of weird results.
street-sign-from-hell.jpg

is one of the few that are SFW.

You have the history of "Volvo's From Hell" all wrong. A group of SCCA Improved Touring racers banded together with Bob Griffith to develop trick racing parts for ITB 142 race cars back in the 1980's. These parts were marketed as "Volvo's From Hell Go Fast Parts". There was a rather tasteful T shirt with a drawing of the devil driving a 142 race car and the Volvo's From Hell/ skull and bones motto. Unfortunately Volvo of north America had little sense of humor and issued a court order to discontinue the use of the motto and sale of the shirts.

The original Volvo's From Hell 142 Race cars were some of the most highly developed and successful Improved Touring cars in the early days of the class. A few of the original race cars are still around and many of the newer ones carry on the proud tradition and display reproduction decals. I believe Rotem Gill and his ITB buddies made some stickers out in Michigan and some were floating around Summit Point raceway a couple years ago. I doubt there is any "copyright" on them as they are still quit unwelcome by cooperate Volvo.

You have the history of "Volvo's From Hell" all wrong. A group of SCCA Improved Touring racers banded together with Bob Griffith to develop trick racing parts for ITB 142 race cars back in the 1980's. These parts were marketed as "Volvo's From Hell Go Fast Parts". There was a rather tasteful T shirt with a drawing of the devil driving a 142 race car and the Volvo's From Hell/ skull and bones motto. Unfortunately Volvo of north America had little sense of humor and issued a court order to discontinue the use of the motto and sale of the shirts.

The original Volvo's From Hell 142 Race cars were some of the most highly developed and successful Improved Touring cars in the early days of the class. A few of the original race cars are still around and many of the newer ones carry on the proud tradition and display reproduction decals. I believe Rotem Gill and his ITB buddies made some stickers out in Michigan and some were floating around Summit Point raceway a couple years ago. I doubt there is any "copyright" on them as they are still quit unwelcome by cooperate Volvo.

that is the most interesting thing i have read on this site in weeks, thanks.

I've met Rotem and a host of others a long time ago at a business here. I spotted one of these epic cars on a trailer down the street from me, he was going back to his house.

I am not sure what they are doing as of late, I've heard a few random bits over the last few years but nothing solid.

Nice guy. A friend of a friend has a set of wheels which he believes came from one of the VFH guys...randomly mentioned as I was looking them over in his garage.

I am not sure if Swedish Engineering still does an annual show...and last I heard Corky sold his 242GT, but I could be wrong. I only had them do service once or twice on stuff I did not have time for a numbr of years ago...I think I picked up a VFH shirt there or at a CVCOA event about 5 years ago.

How about a "I went through Ragnar?k & all I got was this T-Shirt" T-shirt.

Years ago we had a central NE meet & gave out a Ragnar?k award to the worst looking car.

Swedish Engineering cancelled their show last year.

But they didnt put out a bulletin' or anything, so the people that showed up just had an inpromptu autocross. . .

odysseyhouseonline.com/motorsports, has info on the Volvos From Hell. Also, ROLLING (the VCOA magazine), JUL-AUG 2020, page 24. Is Bob Griffith still alive? What happened to all the 'Volvos From Hell'?

Back