• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Drop It Like It's Hot (Lots of Pics!)

Aw bummer, I was hoping Kane's car was actually that low. Looks kickass. 240's start to look odd beyond a certain point, but I've never seen a 7/9 that looked too low.
Anyways nice work boys.

PWRPUFF said:
About time someone figured it out!

The broken strut mount/bearing was taken out from my car to put into Gian's. Seeing how I'd have to take stuff out again afterwards, why wrestle with the stock springs again? It was easy getting a shorter lowering spring in. It was a big PITA getting the full-length stock springs out.

So to make it simple, I just left out the entire spring.

-- Kane ... the car is still supported otherwise. There are some wooden blocks under the frame.
damnit! I knew it! If I hadn't been at work I would've had it... :-P Lol.

Captain Bondo said:
Aw bummer, I was hoping Kane's car was actually that low. Looks kickass. 240's start to look odd beyond a certain point, but I've never seen a 7/9 that looked too low.
Anyways nice work boys.

Ok, Im not the only one that thought that too.

900's do look good lowered dont they :-D

fit any sexy shocks or are they stock? (mmm billy sports, go on, you know you want them....lol)

Griz

grizlyadams said:

fit any sexy shocks or are they stock? (mmm billy sports, go on, you know you want them....lol)

Griz
They're stock for now... He's gonna put some Konis on, mmmm yummier and adjustable... mmmm :-P Hehe.

Thanks alot guys, this has been a pretty sucessful post in terms of popularity :-D . I'm really glad to see you all like it. Last night I think I concluded that I have the older springs iPd used to sell, and therefore my car is lower than it would be sitting on what iPd sells now. Hopefully that then answers Jacob's (Homer) question as to wether or not they are cut, because they do look like they could be. Therefore, I sadly can't tell you to expect these resluts if you go the iPd route. Anyways, as I've been doing, let me address what everyone has said:

Neil Peart said:
Nice Gian, that looks very HOT!! Love the title!!!:lol:

Whats next man?? cam? that would complement everything.
Thanks. That song by Big Snoop was sort of my mental anthem for this project, although Lil' Wyane deserves credit for the phrase (you rap guys know what I'm talking about ;-) ). As for how mods will be going, an iPd Turbo Cam will be next, along with some Konis. The Konis might be first (I really value handling over acceleration, but don't get me wrong, I love both), but both will be done this summer.

the poi said:
:omg: It fell out? good lord
Meh... It was only half way out :rofl: .

Infector 944 said:
First important info then a nice story.

There is a lip at the front of the perch on the rear colils, when installing them you can actuall thread the spring into this lip, its a good idea to do this, it helps keep the spring in place. Hose Clamp, 1/2" wide made for 2.5" pipe, stronger the better, larger is alright just need to thread it more and cut off excess.

Once apon a time (figured out this was the story?)

I got my tires inspected at an americia's tire company, for a treadware warrenty. This was before I got clamps, so when the put the car on the ground the springs got unseated. Ofcourece noone noticed, and I went on my merry way after being told there was no warrenty on Z rated tires. I got on the freeway as I usually do, full boost shifting at 5krpm (yes is this a good story), when I merged ahead of the traffic going about 70 I hit a little bump, the little bump turned into something like dropping down into a 1' deep pothole and I promptly lost control of the rear of the car... WTF I thought, and then it hit me... yes they didnt place the springs when they put it on the ground. I got control and slowly drove to work. AAA came and I used his jack and stands to pick up the car and reseat the springs. "I just need to use the jack, so I can re-seat eh rear springs" tow truck driver, "what are you going to do?!" 'I just need to use the jack and your stands' "We should tow this to a shop", I takled him into it and everything was hunky dory.

USE CLAMPS!

Glad you cought it when you did Gian. its no fun to drive without springs.
Good story, I'm gald I didn't have to deal with that :omg: . Thanks again for the recomendation. I doubled up my hose clamps :) .

stylngle2003 said:
kane....no coils?

that'd be awesome if so
Good work Billy, I knew someone would get it (I personally wouldn't have if I hadn't watched it happen).

BiG_BrIcK_240 said:
god damn thats hawt

nice work
Thanks :lol: . I keep thinking the same thing when looking at it.

PWRPUFF said:
About time someone figured it out!

The broken strut mount/bearing was taken out from my car to put into Gian's. Seeing how I'd have to take stuff out again afterwards, why wrestle with the stock springs again? It was easy getting a shorter lowering spring in. It was a big PITA getting the full-length stock springs out.

So to make it simple, I just left out the entire spring.

-- Kane ... the car is still supported otherwise. There are some wooden blocks under the frame.
Yeah... The stock springs are horrendous. Taking them out reminded me of moving my roommate's sh!tty sofa bed up to my apartment. Both the springs and the sofa had alot in common: oversized, bulky, unattractive, uncomfortable, horrible to move from it's original place, etc.

Two245Turbos said:
Looks NICE!
Thanks. I've got to say the same things about your wagons, especially the one in your sig. So classic yet unique looking.

Slonik said:
Damn... I gotta do that to the 960.
Hell yes you do :twisted: !

Captain Bondo said:
Anyways nice work boys.
It is that low... you just probably don't want to be driving it like that ;-) . As for the 7's and 9's, they really can't get too low, but I think that has something to do with how they really can't get much higher than they do from the factory :-P .

klr142 said:
damnit! I knew it! If I hadn't been at work I would've had it... :-P Lol.
You still get partial credit in my book :-P .

Volvo740Ti said:
Hopefully i can get the 960 lowered sometime byt his summer. So glad to see another 9 series brought closer to the ground A+++++
Thanks, I am too :) . I hope you can get that 960 dropped aswell, definitly post pics if/when you do!

Boosted2003 said:
Ok, Im not the only one that thought that too.
If you're reffering to how low 7's and 9's can get, you're definitly not alone.

grizlyadams said:

Griz
Thanks. They definitly do look sexy. No shocks/struts yet... but Konis definitly this summer, unless you think Bilstein Sports are a better setup... I've heard the HDs suck with lowering springs and I've never had first hand experience with either the Sports of Konis, I've just gone by what other board members have been saying.

DoubleV said:
You still get partial credit in my book :-P .
[...]

Thanks. They definitly do look sexy. No shocks/struts yet... but Konis definitly this summer, unless you think Bilstein Sports are a better setup... I've heard the HDs suck with lowering springs and I've never had first hand experience with either the Sports of Konis, I've just gone by what other board members have been saying.
Haha, thanks! Lol. And about the shocks... Are Billy Sports available? NICE! Sports are shorter shocks than HDs so they work better with lowered cars and don't interfere with reducing suspension travel in a lowered car, (I don't know if the HD shocks would or wouldn't though). All of the shocks mentioned are great shocks. Between the Sports and Konis, I don't know... The Konis are adjustable, and then there's the price, I can't think of anything else that might come between them in terms of positives and negatives... You can't REALLY go wrong either way. They're both lifetime warranted or something right? Anywho, straight pimpin. :cool: Peace man!

My car has billy sports, they are available, and damn do they make the car handle! and the ride isnt totaly shot either! :-D Expensive, but man, i love them.

Griz

Interesting post that. Having only been in a rover 200 turbo on koni yellows i carnt comment on ride in a volvo, but even on soft, the koni's were way harder (the ride was terible, i said something like, hey, rides not too bad considering there set to hard...my mate goes, no they are set to soft.....) than my billy sports, but remember, its a totaly different car, with a lot less weight than mine. I remeber foggy saying billy sports on the 440's having a shockingly hard ride, i think the huge fatness of out cars helps a load with the ride. We need someone with a 945 on koni's to tell us what they are like on all settings.

I went for billy sports as thats what my performance volvo shop (chesh's garage, lol :rofl: ) had in stock at the time at a resonable price.

Griz

Back