• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

patrickstars 1983 242 4.8L/AR5 swap

Take the R Bumper... :omg:

We don't get anything like that in the yards around here.

First for me too, I've never seen an R in the jy.

I'm at my parents house indefinitely and just didn't want to deal with the hassle of pulling a bumper and storing it, then transporting it across the state. Plus only had some basic hand tools

It is. They have good cars come through constantly. Glad you got them Patrick, very envious. I guess John Durham pulled 2 +T setups from 2 different b230s out there today too.

It is. They have good cars come through constantly. Glad you got them Patrick, very envious. I guess John Durham pulled 2 +T setups from 2 different b230s out there today too.

Thanks again for the heads up Derek, I probably wouldn't have noticed them otherwise.

John got there right after I did, like I said earlier I just didn't have the tools and stuff to pull the manifold from the 90 740. Also a lot of meat left on the bone on the R, someone could make a few bucks if they get back out there

0kRzc4hl.jpg

A few presents for myself...

Thanks Carl! Found a set of adapters for the R, hoping to go pick them up in the next day or two.

RvmZUlsl.jpg

Starting to wrap my head around the chassis wiring. Trying to figure out the best way to wire the H1/H4 headlights. I think that the high beams are going to draw too many amps for the ARC board

For the high beams:

2 x 100w H1
2 x 60w H4

= 320w/12v = ~27a

ARC Board has a 30a fuse built into each circuit, but I am not sure I can swap the fuses for larger amperage. I'm gonna call them today to ask.

My original plan was to power those dual 40a relays with the ARC, and trigger the high/low through a SPDT switch. A friend suggested that I use the green grounds as triggers, run the big red wires to alternator, and the smaller orange wire to the ARC board. Any thoughts?

Edit:

4OXTxShl.jpg

Had to draw it out for myself, thought it might be useful here too. Yes, I'm making this more complicated than need be. But I want to run all the chassis wiring from that single switch panel. Other than being overly complicated, are there any flaws here?

Edit 2: Did some more reading on ground triggered relays and I think in my drawing I'd need to swap the inputs for pin 85/86. Orange would be the SPDT switch, Green would be 12v+ from ARC 8000

85 - Orange - Ground from switch
86 - Green - Switched power from ARC 8000
30 - Red - Wire from battery positive terminal
87 - Blue - Wire to bulbs

Edit 3:

X2qATOUl.jpg

Just talking out loud here

Last edited:
sfJOWRdl.jpg

After reviewing this with some friends (who are much better at wiring than I am) I think this is the final diagram for the headlights. I am trying to do everything right, so I've ordered good quality GXL wire, uninsulated butt connectors and shrink wrap, PET expandable loom, 3M electrical tape, etc.

Last edited:
Looks good. Not sure what you’re doing for a fuse, but some relays have a slot for an ATC fuse in them. Makes for a clean instal over in-line fuses.

Looks good. Not sure what you?re doing for a fuse, but some relays have a slot for an ATC fuse in them. Makes for a clean instal over in-line fuses.

The relays I'm using don't have those slots, so I'm running 30a inline fuse holders in the 10awg feeds

I might use the relays with built in fuses in the future to clean things up though

Had a half day at work today so I finally made the trip down to see Robert (Culberro) to get some quick fab work done. Robert welded in the IAT bung, shortened in the intake pipe, and rolled a bead for me. Gonna run out to the shop tomorrow and install it.

yalYfTcl.jpg

5J429Tgl.jpg

The parts pile is starting to stack up in my living room.

OV8peKWl.jpg

I grabbed a set of STS R-caliper adapters, but just realized that I overpaid for them since they didn't come with the e-brake components... Feeling dumb about that, but **** happens.

PKxJof1l.jpg

Last edited:
I just did an H4 conversion at work on a Jeep, which is pretty much the same wiring. Instead of figuring it all out and doing all the connections, we bought an H4 harness kit. It plugs into the original headlight plug and the relays are all prewired, 5 minute install. For 4 lights you would need 2 kits obviously, but they are cheap and save a ton of time.

27FDuSal.jpg

Intake installed, fits absolutely perfect.

4GYlHjHl.jpg

Pulled the headlight brackets out to clean them up

k3sN02ll.jpg

I was debating getting them powdercoated but until the rest of the bay is painted, it would be putting lipstick on a pig. I'm just going to wash them and grab new hardware

STS will sell you the rotor hats you need for the ebrake, no biggie. I bought a set for my 6 piston Brembo swap. You have to email them, they aren't listed separately.

d2ZQbeel.jpg

I wasn't doing anything so I thought I'd clean the headlight brackets up.

b9ZDXBkl.jpg

Soaked them in Simple Green for ~10min and lightly scrubbed. I didn't have anything good to get into the nooks and crannies, but its good enough for me.

kUznqs1l.jpg

Mounted the glass Autopal H1/H4 housings. Still waiting on some tools and wiring supplies before I get started on the headlight harness

Back