• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New guy to turbo bricks!

Sounds like you have very similar goals as mine.

You can read through my thread if you want to see where my car is at now. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=260606
But take the time to read through other 7 and 9 threads as well cause I am merely just beginning with this car. There is a lot of good info in the build threads, stuff you want to do and stuff to avoid as well.

Sounds like you have very similar goals as mine.

You can read through my thread if you want to see where my car is at now. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=260606
But take the time to read through other 7 and 9 threads as well cause I am merely just beginning with this car. There is a lot of good info in the build threads, stuff you want to do and stuff to avoid as well.

thanks mike!

Last edited:
I had the same goal when I got my Volvo. started with the MBC, wow what a difference to go from stock to 10 psi... airbox mod cost nothing, so did that too ofcourse. Then I made a bigger diameter exhaust. homemade so also, did not cost much. Then I got hold of a cam that was better than the stock T. then I got chips.
The chip was to help raise the boost a little more without detonation. But my order of modifications with ~200 hp i mind.
-Airbox
-MBC
and then exhaust and cam.
and then chips.
Then your car will feel much quicker than stock. ( it propably aint as fast as it feels at all, but if FEELS so much faster :) )
ofcourse you need a boostgauge and perhaps a wideband too.

I had the same goal when I got my Volvo. started with the MBC, wow what a difference to go from stock to 10 psi... airbox mod cost nothing, so did that too ofcourse. Then I made a bigger diameter exhaust. homemade so also, did not cost much. Then I got hold of a cam that was better than the stock T. then I got chips.
The chip was to help raise the boost a little more without detonation. But my order of modifications with ~200 hp i mind.
-Airbox
-MBC
and then exhaust and cam.
and then chips.
Then your car will feel much quicker than stock. ( it propably aint as fast as it feels at all, but if FEELS so much faster :) )
ofcourse you need a boostgauge and perhaps a wideband too.

thank ill try to look for the airbox mod

mike

The volvo manual transmissions are weak. Keep the auto for now and do the accumulator mods to it.

Edit: I replied to your question about a M46. You must have edited your post while I was quoting it.

Yeah i saw one on cl for $450 i wanted it, but i know its a big build.

mike

You guys know a lot about these volvos! I'm not really looking to make it a track car. I'm just after a few horses, and a bit suspension. I want to drop a few inches too.

thanks mike

When you say "track car", what do you mean by "track"?
There's all kinds of tracks, here's one :
rallycross_superprix_2005_0278.jpg

Another:
attachment.php

Oh, what's this?
index_image707.jpg

One more "track' car:
index_image8011.jpg

All these are "rc" cars as in rallycross..

Last edited:
Welcome to the board, sounds like you have your starting place. Stage zero, gauges, mbc, airbox mod. IPD carries all the sport suspension stuff, you may some stuff cheaper if you shop around - can't say for sure on that though.

I would do exhaust right after that, some may disagree but if you go to a bigger turbo, etc than you'll be tuning all that stuff out and you're still running stock exhaust :-(, I'm an exhaust whore, so it's usually one of the first things I do. I'm trying really hard to resist tossing a header, a borla muffler, and a bunch of mandrel bends on the credit card for the 142 i just bought... :oogle:

Welcome to the board, sounds like you have your starting place. Stage zero, gauges, mbc, airbox mod. IPD carries all the sport suspension stuff, you may some stuff cheaper if you shop around - can't say for sure on that though.

I would do exhaust right after that, some may disagree but if you go to a bigger turbo, etc than you'll be tuning all that stuff out and you're still running stock exhaust :-(, I'm an exhaust whore, so it's usually one of the first things I do. I'm trying really hard to resist tossing a header, a borla muffler, and a bunch of mandrel bends on the credit card for the 142 i just bought... :oogle:

Yep now all i have to do is some work! hahaha
i need to order some parts...

mike

When you say "track car", what do you mean by "track"?
There's all kinds of tracks, here's one :
rallycross_superprix_2005_0278.jpg

Another:
attachment.php

Oh, what's this?
index_image707.jpg

One more "track' car:
index_image8011.jpg

All these are "rc" cars as in rallycross..

Dude that would awesome to run my 940 as a rally car hahah
Ill only be using her for the street for now...

I want her to be a sleeper. Something to blow the doors off the hondas with the fart cans.

Whats the foam for inside the airbox, just for turbo noise?
Can i remove it?

mike

yes just for noise, yes remove it before it clogs the amm.

wideband is not necessary for less than 13psi, needless expense, in fact, as there is nothing you can do to alter afr and these cars run stupid rich anyway. 13psi is nearing the upper limit of the stock fuel system running a 13c and 92+ intercooler. an exhaust and ported turbine housing and manifold all help immensely to lower intake temps and improve power.

yes just for noise, yes remove it before it clogs the amm.

wideband is not necessary for less than 13psi, needless expense, in fact, as there is nothing you can do to alter afr and these cars run stupid rich anyway. 13psi is nearing the upper limit of the stock fuel system running a 13c and 92+ intercooler. an exhaust and ported turbine housing and manifold all help immensely to lower intake temps and improve power.

Thanks ill remove today.

I think i am having some heat issues. my b230 runs nice and cool, it has a fan on the crank.
my b230ft runs very hot, it has a electric fan of course.
any ideas to cool her off?

a good cam is a must. The T cam in it is a complete turd. I ran 18 psi on a stock engine with a big ebay t3/t4 and had no problems. Put ARP head studs on that car with a cometic head gasket before you do anything. The head gasket is the weak link. Then big ebay intercooler, at least a 15g and a mikes chip wth the 012 amm and some injectors, I used 650 cc/min. run 17 psi and it will suprise the **** out of you. The studs and gasket are expensive but worth every penny

Never phone and drive!!!! ;-)

Yeah yeah hahah. I don't think i fried it, it didn't shot a piston or anything.
I opened the hood when i got home, it didn't really feel any hotter then it has been in the week I've owned it.

Think it will be alright?

thanks mike.

Now tha mad scientist and I have to rip apart the block, and replace the piston rings you fried!

i don't think she got that hot :oops:
Next thing i need to do is rebuild my turbo! good bit of oil before the intercooler :omg:

any good kits you guys recommend?

thanks mike

Back