• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

idk whats wrong with my car

mr. win volvo

ok here it goes............. i have a 244 83 inercooled k jet. it has been buggin me for a while. i have notice it a while back. it will sound like a wrx after pushing it hard. but then smothes out, and runs cherry. following did no mind to it. but now it runs like that all the time now. but, only at idle and shifting gears(plus back fire s). i get on the freeway and runs cherry. i have changed fuel filter plugs, but not wires and cap, rotor.. can some one steer me in the right direction. thx guys

I'll bet it is a vacuum leak of some kind. I had trouble with the flame trap hose that connects to the intake (before the turbo) when I first bought my '82. But that kept it from running all together.

On my '91, I had a loose intake hose that would lift up off the turbo under boost, but settle back down enough to run fine under vacuum. Was annoying to diagnose.

Start checking you hoses.

I'll bet it is a vacuum leak of some kind. I had trouble with the flame trap hose that connects to the intake (before the turbo) when I first bought my '82. But that kept it from running all together.

On my '91, I had a loose intake hose that would lift up off the turbo under boost, but settle back down enough to run fine under vacuum. Was annoying to diagnose.

Start checking you hoses.

+1
also check the diverter valve (or whatever Volvo calls it, CBV or whatever) make sure it is sealing well. I've seen this a lot, as they get older the spring weakens, and it bypasses a little air under vacuum and makes it misfire (sounding like a rex)

+1
also check the diverter valve (or whatever Volvo calls it, CBV or whatever) make sure it is sealing well. I've seen this a lot, as they get older the spring weakens, and it bypasses a little air under vacuum and makes it misfire (sounding like a rex)

There's not CBV on the car.

Injector(s) is probably toast, causing it to only run on 2 or 3 cylinders.

Check your plug gap and does wires, cap, and rotor.

Back