• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Projekt "We dont roll"

DagazEnterprise

We Don't Roll
So i picked up a '73 Nova hatchback, i've wanted a Nova since i was a teen, my dad always thought a hatch would be cool because of the rarity, i found one for a great price with an almost perfect and strait body for 41 years old and now comes the folly. After doing some research the B230FT in my 740 is getting swapped in and will make almost as much power as the inline six that came originally with it. Good news is that at 18psi and a turbo that has too much compressor it made 205 and 235 at the wheels, so that going to power this rig and i'm sure make more than a couple old timers commit suicide. Unlike the S10 i see out there and after doing a V8 swap on mine i'm thinking this engine bay should be way more suitable for the rear mount distributor and acompanying electronics and plumbing. Hoping to start work in two weeks, need to get the S10 strait first then the engine swap beings.

Question, which transmission to use? AW70 with the accumulator mod or 700R4? I have the adaptor kit sitting on the shelf.

00Z0Z_8x2NfaWaVA6_600x450.jpg

01515_dBvGUQSyx2I_600x450.jpg

00f0f_42XpgC3dwWP_600x450.jpg

Well at least for the ill handling, it will be light weight.

I'd go with the 700R, bolt it to the TH350 mounts, and your redblock will be ~2" forward for distributor clearance, the shifter will work with a little filing, and your driveshaft might even work.

Also the 700 is the only auto i've ever had that inspired trust, but it was a police model.

how difficult is it to remove the wiring harnesses for the ignition and fuel computers?

A couple of hours max....20 minutes if you don't mind cutting and splicing or rebuilding the harness.

Oh yea, cool project...when I was 16 I had a '73 Nova...huge pile of junk that I ended up selling back to my next door neighbor that sold it to me....307 with a 3-on-the-tree manual transmission.

Last edited:
Parts of all kinds are out there for those things...

I"d bet he can find some "inexpensive" rear suspension, to get off those leafs, and cut some weight back there, and even a modern front subframe....

Sounds like a pretty kick ass project...I can't wait to see this.

I'm liking the looks on peoples faces when i tell them i'm putting a B230Ft in it, they just look at me like i'm special and then i tell them that it makes more hp than the stock 350 that came in the car, torque is different seeing that i'm shy 4 pistons but still i figure that the Nova will weigh roughly 300+ lbs less than the Nova with a V8 and should be right around 3000lbs total weight, should be a fun stop light car, i'm thinking of getting a photo of my S10 engine bay to sit on top of the engine just to mess with people.

300+ lbs less than the Nova with a V8 and should be right around 3000lbs total weight,
I doubt it will be that different, my Fbird is pretty close to 3K with the V8 and a full interior.
I wold not compare the original motor, but a TBI /TPI, htey are cheap and very simple swap. Not to in any way detract from me wanting to see how your project turns out.

I"d bet he can find some "inexpensive" rear suspension, to get off those leafs, and cut some weight back there, and even a modern front subframe....
Imo the leafs are not that bad a deal, it's the front geometry and subframe bushings.

Been doing some serious thinking, I'm going to take one of my SSAC manifolds and wack it, use some tubing i have laying around and build it for a twin turbo setup, 2 13c's. Seems like it should work in my head, rediculously small by itself but in twin format might not be too big. This whole project seeks to deviate from the norm so that's the route i'm going to take. I had thought about running a compound setup but that's a bit too much extra work for the time being. The amm is already cut and spliced for the cold side so the twin setup is not an issue.

Only other question i have is the crank position sensor, can this be mounted anywhere or does it need to be mounted vertically the way it sits on the production car? Not quite sure how the setup works.

Thanks

Just the engine, too anxious to not do it. Plenty of room everywhere. I rested the engine in so its full weight was in the chassis, the front dropped less than an eighth of inch

4235393b7cc4defd.jpg

4235393b878012b8.jpg

4235393b8a354929.jpg

4235393b8fadf196.jpg

Took a couple hours of finess but I was able to get the entire harness out of the car, only had to cut one string of wires, going to study up on the green book wiring diagrams and then go through and eliminate wires, this harness controls everything but the abs and ac. There are many wires not needed, a couple positives and grounds and splicing for the fuel pump and it should run. Well worth time to pull it all out without cutting.

4235394f7f43524e.jpg

4235394f81b06776.jpg

And then this happened, boy some people are pissed! The lh2.4 seems pretty strait forward to wire up, eliminated some wires, I can't believe how well this fits in, the trans was a bit tight but its looking good. So long as the power steering pump fits its full steam ahead! Unorthodox ftmfw!!!!

I can't help but chuckle when I see the valve cover, it makes every bit of this project worth it just because I'm probably the only one in the world doing it.

423539d243a3d700.jpg

423539d24976a83f.jpg

423539d24c06f5fa.jpg

423539d24f7bbc72.jpg

Back