• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

242 GT build

47225836301_2343fb4cd6_c.jpg

46311418295_14ebc0cc81_c.jpg

40251278063_ff5594aa83_c.jpg

46502521504_36e2e64b56_c.jpg

40260770873_284a5f009e_c.jpg

It may have been mentioned, how do you plan to mount the engine? Stock mounts or will this be vertically mounted? Interested in clearance with the brake booster and master cylinder. Also, expose that header as much as you can!

It may have been mentioned, how do you plan to mount the engine? Stock mounts or will this be vertically mounted? Interested in clearance with the brake booster and master cylinder. Also, expose that header as much as you can!

It's going to be mounted stock the air filter will clear the booster

agap r33-254-13.0

Curious to hear what you think of it after some driving. Still on the fence about going 8v or 16v in the 142 depending on if I can eek 160hp out of an 8v (NA) with a good cam and some homebrew head work along with bumping the compression.

Does it run yet?! Does the cam have the stock base circle or do you need to run lash caps?

Curious to hear what you think of it after some driving. Still on the fence about going 8v or 16v in the 142 depending on if I can eek 160hp out of an 8v (NA) with a good cam and some homebrew head work along with bumping the compression.
Whp or crank? Whp will take a bit more fancy work and $$, but 160hp at the crank and 135-140whp isn?t too hard.

Does it run yet?! Does the cam have the stock base circle or do you need to run lash caps?

33mm base circle I think stock is 36mm? The cam is the largest I could run without shim under buckets.

I ran into too many projects so it's still on the stand

Last edited:
If it’s a 33mm base circle, wouldn’t that require shims under the buckets to get the right clearance? Or can you just barely get the right clearance with normal shims or did you have the valves sunken to make the difference?

If it?s a 33mm base circle, wouldn?t that require shims under the buckets to get the right clearance? Or can you just barely get the right clearance with normal shims or did you have the valves sunken to make the difference?

I believe you can use lash caps in coordination with the original buckets to get everything to play nice. I think.

I believe you can use lash caps in coordination with the original buckets to get everything to play nice. I think.

Or use longer valves. Or have the machine shop sink the valves into the head to make up for it (not the best).

If it?s a 33mm base circle, wouldn?t that require shims under the buckets to get the right clearance? Or can you just barely get the right clearance with normal shims or did you have the valves sunken to make the difference?

I'm using rev valves from Gary's group buy. I was able to use thicker shims without any problems. Not sure what was the thickest shim I used but all were in the 4mm range.

Nice!

And yes, you can run both regular shims in the buckets and the shims under the buckets at the same time, but it just sounds like a recipe for disaster and may or may not have been related to why one of our engines blew in the General Leif. We didn’t know it had both at the time until the motor was taken apart after "death". :-/

Last edited:
Can we start it yet? Or maybe I will sample the camshaft if it won't be any time soon...? :)

AGAP R33-254-13.0
I went through our old emails... It is actually a stock base circle camshaft, it's the largest stock, 36mm, base circle camshaft they sell. :)

http://www.agap.se/AGAP_Volvo_B230_Eng_7.pdf

Your cam "AGAP R33-254-13.0" specs:
344? total duration(0 lash), 279? rated duration at 0.5mm lift, 260? at 1mm lift, 254? at 0.050" lift, 13.0mm total lift, 36mm base circle, and you went with a 107? LSA. Set valve clearances to 0.3-0.4mm(0.012-0.016") on a warm engine.

It should be a great camshaft for a performance street engine! I don't know how well it'll do with passing emissions(if you have to), but I think the catalytic converter will struggle to get hot at idle. I have that problem with my setup, and my header isn't quite as large I think. The more surface area we have before the cat, the cooler the exhaust is by the time it gets there. I'm thinking I may need to go to a larger, more factory style cat that is easier to light off than the racing style one. Maybe having the header ceramic coated will help keep things hot, too. Do you even have to pass DEQ where you guys live?

FWIW, Erland says he likes to run 1mm and 10? less on the exhaust lobes in a lot of his engines(not all, and now he’s even starting to run stock sized valves, or at least on the exhaust side... mind blown.) Maybe go with the next profile down on AGAP's list for the exhaust lobe with the next camshaft? I have a damaged K cam I should see about re-profiling at Oregon Cam Grinders. Hopefully there's enough meat left for it. I also have another cam that is basically an ENEM C2 but it has a smaller base circle. Maybe I'll just have the head set up for a smaller base circle... But what if I don't pass DEQ! Hahaha. Oh, I want to play!

Last edited:
Back