• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ISO 8v Perf Head (PDX area)

MisterBLC

Folks,

Just disassembled my engine to find my RSI CNC head was cracked and leaking coolant into the #1 oil drain from the head. To add insult to injury, when attempting to disassemble the head, it appears the valves have mushroomed and I can't get them out through the valve guides. In short, I am looking for a new performance 8v head to go with my RSI 2.5L bottom end. Anyone have good options in the PDX area? I may hit up Vol-Tech and STS to see if they can craft something for me as well. Just looking for something with bigger valves and mild porting.

And yes, want to keep it 8v so I can continue to use my header and Holset turbo setup.

Thanks!
Brian

Do you have a picture of the crack? It’s possible that is crack can be welded up.
Welding up the head, replacing the guides, and using proper valves and valve springs would save you a good bit of money over a freshly built head.

would appreciate if you can get a pic and post it up, I have an RSI head and curious. Any reason to believe it had any particular cause?

Sand the top of those valves until you get the mushroom out of it and chuck those valves where they belong. (the trash)

If its just a crack that passing fluid... could be a good application for epoxy.

The death of my Erland Cox head was due to a crack or porosity leak between the coolant passages and the area around the spring seat. You couldn't actually see it, just the bubbles when pressure testing. It was un-fixable. I also had an RSI CNC'd stage two head that developed a leak over time between one of the exhaust ports and a coolant passage. The material was just too thin after porting, and not weldable. We tried a ceramic coating, but that did not work. The RSI valves definitely mushroom on the tip. Go with a higher quality valve.

I'll third the 'higher quality valve' comment. Mine did the same thing, chucked em after 30k.

Definitely curious on a pic if you can get one.

Might be time to get another valve GB open...

I bought a ported 530 head but once machinist went to remove the larger valves & same thing. One came out. The rest are stuck in guides.

Bearing service has been more reliable for us and has done Peter’s heads for years. I would not bring a head of this caliber to Aluminum Head Rebuilders.

Finally got the valves out and some pics of the leak w/ UV dye in the coolant. The leak is right by the exhaust valve for #2 cylinder, and the coolant runs right down the oil return galley that is there. Probably no way to get a welder in there, I am guessing.

Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/mmjbE512CyNMh9a56

48132991733_e34e34fa5b_c.jpg

Great photos and video!!! Thanks for posting that stuff up.

It's quite interesting. I do think someone who is highly skilled could weld that or it could be epoxied by someone who is less skilled :-P

I too have been wondering how that area cracked...its nowhere near the porting/CNC work, since its between coolant passage and the top cavity. Maybe the high spring pressure weakened that area? More than likely I was just unlucky :)

I think I may try bringing the head to Bearing Service to see what they say...otherwise I may try the "less skilled" epoxy route :) :)

Brian

Back