• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Redblock bellhousing starter On wrong side

swiftarrow9

Hi! I?m trying to do a manual swap on an 88 760 Turbo (Redblock) in really good condition. I have assembled 99% of the parts, or so I thought. Today I?m measuring for the length of clutch hydraulic hose, and noticed to my horror that the starter bubble is on the wrong side!

Looking at the bellhousing the starter appears to fit under the exhaust, but in both my B23FT and my B230 the starter is on the intake side.

So I guess I have the wrong bellhousing. According the the junkyard I bought this from, it?s out of a manual 86 740, and it mates right up to my M45 transmission.

My question: what does this bellhousing go to? VOLVO Part number is 1023554 1285. The date stamp is 1981 April.

I have so many projects I?m almost at the point of cancelling the manual swap and selling the car as-is. It?s in really good condition.

Wow! Thanks for the fast reply!

It certainly is a diesel bellhousing. :(

Not so much about the part; it’s about other issues. I don’t have time to putter in the garage, and need something that is more rough and ready than my nice 760. Sigh. Now I go cruise Car-Part.com again. I’m already about 2.5 grand into what I thought was a simple swap project, and still don’t have all the parts.

Last edited:
It is sort of funny (since it didn't happen to me) that you were looking for a horse and got a zebra.

Back