• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best way to build up pre-squirter B230ft

Log-dog

I am about to pull a 1992(non squirter) B230ft with 100k on it for 245 swap. I’m a little concerned about having a pre-93(all I can find near me)but looking for advice. Were gonna open it all up for new timing belt, water pump, seals, gaskets ect. While it’s out, what should I consider to make a very healthy sleeper build?!

-I’ve read its fairly easy to add squirters? Where do we find a kit?

-NA piston swap too?

-IPD Turbo cam? I hear they don’t actually do much for turbo models- personal experience?

-Any lightweight Flywheel recommendations?

-Headers?

What am I missing?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
People obsess over those squirters, I ran a B21+T for 4 years without squirters at 25psi at the end of it's life. If the DW in tank fuel pump hadn't failed I'd still be running that motor. IPD cam definitely makes a difference, 3" exhaust and a bigger turbo, bigger injectors +MS will give you the biggest gains. Flywheel helps too but a stock clutch will be overwhelmed with more than about 12psi.

The squirters IMO are a valuable addition; technology widely used now by OEMs. Cost and parts are fairly low $; conversion kit (tools) should be linked in this section of TB.

H-beam rods so you don't have to worry about that fuse; pistons of your choice for the application. Hopefully you have an NA engine so the bores won't be "belled out" as most of the turbo engines wear in that pattern. If you have an abused turbo motor (worn), I'll suggest recycling it and finding an NA block. Some have gotten away with a hone and factory turbo pistons taking you near 300 ponies (with PROPER engine management).

This section has plenty of smart folks that will guide you. Good luck!

Last edited:
You need to set a goal for the car and work from there. What kind of budget are you working with? This ultimately determines what kind build you can do. If staying under 300 hp(stock block will do that), Time and time again, people set unrealistic goals. The more power you make, the more parts that you will need to upgrade. So ask yourself, what goal do I have for this car.

Last edited:
The squirter mod is a sticky at the top. That said Volvos are tough without squirters. It's just that an upgrade like that does help an engine last longer. I'd say it really depends on your hp goals and what your budget is. If you can afford to do the mod it will help even a stock piston and rod engine last.

Back