• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Performance Head Gasket

WeezilUSA

When in the course of modifying my car, the stock headgasket will not handle the pressure.... Where can I get a cutting edge gasket? I have not blown out ol' elring yet... But you never know when it could let go. What is a good source for a better gasket? Thanks!

weezilusa said:
When in the course of modifying my car, the stock headgasket will not handle the pressure....

So what kind of pressure you planning to use?

with scp head and without knocking stock casket can handel lot of pressure..

Well I don't know when I'm gonna need it, but I know someone who does... The stock head gasket wouldn't hold up to 35lbs of boost... blew on the dyno making 280hp to the ground and 345lb ft/ torque @ 3600 rpm
Anyways, he needs a head gasket, and I wanted to find out for him.

the stock head gasket acts more as a OH Ssh*t! fuse, when the motor cant take it anymore the gasket will blow out due to more pressure then the head can flow.

You can however get some ARP head bolts (or older B23E headbolts?) and over tighten them a few ft/lbs to hold a little longer then normal.

Or if you insist, Dave Barton has some info on a copper ringed gasket on his site somewhere.

-Dana

I've always wondered about aftermarket bolts...

anybody's done that? ARP or some other company's stuff in a redblock?

I'd be interested in doing the main crankshaft and conn rods bolts nice and strong... but not that expensive (200 would be my limit I'd think... but not sure about the budget yet!)

As for B23E... is there a difference between red block's bolts? I'd like to hear that!

Regards

Yes, same thing.

And on the head bolts, it's not so much B23e, as an 80+ B23e would have the late style hex head bolts. Any pre 80 engine will have the more desireable capscrew style headbolts. Mine came from the '79 B21f in my old GT. ;)

740_tic said:
how much is lbs compared to psi?

PSI = Pounds per Square Inch (14.97psi = 1 BAR)

if you mean the "ft/lbs" i mentioned its "Foot Pounds" basically torque.. or NM (newton meters?) in metrics

We measure your torque in foot/ pounds (lbs) (Ft/LBS)
You measure your torque I assume in newton meters NM where Newton is your standard unit for force and pounds are the standard measurement of force for us, though we usually apply pounds in relation to gravity. Psi is the same as your bar for pressure, though teh standard unit of pressure I think is pascals.

ARP doesn't do any coarse 12mm for head or main in either bolts or studs. I checked. They do have nice stainless studs for intake and exhaust(8mm), in several lengths. The lengths are good if you want to run an intake spacer, if you are on a budget though, just use cam bering cap studs.

The cutting edge gasket can be bought from OJRallye in WI. Might be a good idea. The ring is stainless steel, not copper, btw. You might have it confused with the all copper gaskets, which are not really recommended.

A friend of mine was looking into having ARP make a specific bolt for his rods and head studs for his ford probe. ARP wil lnot do it unless you supply them with a bolt and a large bulk purchase. Cost prohibitive, stock headbolts are fine.

Late.

Back