• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New to RWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow ton of info fast!

Sway bar info duley noted and acknowledged.

OK, lets have this 3" thing out. Realizing that I have $300 worth of 2.5" mufflers, cats, pipes, 90's, 180's, and 45's, in my basement, and it was really easy for me to ship it all back and get cash credited back to PAyPAl account, AND assuming my son will want to keep a car with a 1/4 million miles on it long enough to do a serious turbo upgrade, how do you get a 3" DP on a conical flanged 15g? Which would be another expense, DP and flange. I bought the car for $1000, so a $600 + exhaust is kinda, I don't know, WHACK.

I just did a 3" exhaust turbo back for $375 shipped. Pipe from mandrelbendingsolutions.com and a $50 magnaflow muffler and $50 universal cat. If you know someone with a welder they can weld it all for you.

Hey Sweet850,
Ditch the K&N, they let alot of dirt in and get oil on the mass air flow sensor. This screws up your fuel metering, etc. As for snow tires, I have had good luck with Nokian studded tires. I've had a set for years that I just throw on the back of my 240 when it snows and take off when the roads are clear. I've had them since like '01. Studs may be illeagal where you are but get them anyway, 740s have a pretty low rear gearing and need snow tires. Hope this helps.

Hey all. Just trying to get a grip on availability and resources for 740 parts. My son and I are building up a 1988 4 speed sedan. Not sure if this is the right place to ask bout this stuff.

We are looking for 17" wheels and tires for the car, and selection seems limited. I was given a link that showed me VOXX 17x8 with 245-40-17's, and they looked great. I know I can use FWD rims with spacers, not sure if I wan to do that tho.

We are installing Kilen springs. 1.6" drop, and have new KYB dampers in already. So I guess I need to know about fender rub.

Just a bit of background, we installed a 15g, a '90+ exhaust mani, and are having a 2.5" turbo back exhaust fabbed this weekend, with 2 straight thru mufflers, and a hiflo cat, all Magnaflo from Jegs, pipes from Columbia. Also a K+N drop in filter. Doing rotors and pads ASAP. New sway links with poly bushings also. This car goes real good!

Thanks for entertaining the newb questions, looking forward to your replies.

Am I the only one to notice 4 speed trans. Are you saying it is 4 speed auto? If not, maybe it is a 4 speed with overdrive.

Hey Sweet850,
Ditch the K&N, they let alot of dirt in and get oil on the mass air flow sensor. This screws up your fuel metering, etc. As for snow tires, I have had good luck with Nokian studded tires. I've had a set for years that I just throw on the back of my 240 when it snows and take off when the roads are clear. I've had them since like '01. Studs may be illeagal where you are but get them anyway, 740s have a pretty low rear gearing and need snow tires. Hope this helps.

Ok, I'll see a bout a return and a stock filter.

I don't mean to be rude, I asked for info not critique.

hate to break it to you, but just because the info on the parts you bought is bad news doesn't make it critique. this is what happens when you spend a bunch of money before asking those who've been there/done that.

that said, everybody has already picked on the biggest blunders, but i'll say that the 2.5" exhaust isn't going to be the dealbreaker that some are suggesting if your goals are not particularly extreme.

that said, installing anything KYB makes for the front of the car is a waste of time and/or money, as they don't make anything other than a stock replacement for the strut inserts that volvos use. this means you may find your sport springs to cause undesired bounce in the front end. this may only be moderately irritating on straight roads, but this can be dangerous if say, your (inexperienced?) son were to hit a bumpy patch of road while mid-corner, especially in wet weather.

i'm not saying that it will, i'm merely throwing it out there.

If your worried about money on exhaust, the cheapest way out is to return all this 2.5" stuff and put on the stock turbo 740 exhaust except replace the rear muffler and that S bend with straight pipe and a custom hanger.

The center muffler is straight through from the factory and its still rather quiet because the turbo itself acts like a muffler.

often the original cat is 100% fine even on relatively old and abused cars.

also, the mass-produced parts have much better corrosion resistance than individual bends in my experiance. which is rather important for new england winters.

edit: also, in the showroom section is the 'factory wheel guide' I bet your son can find something he likes in there. The '88 volvo 740 is an exceptionally boxy creature and something designed in the 80s generally looks at home on these things.

Last edited:
hate to break it to you, but just because the info on the parts you bought is bad news doesn't make it critique. this is what happens when you spend a bunch of money before asking those who've been there/done that.

that said, everybody has already picked on the biggest blunders, but i'll say that the 2.5" exhaust isn't going to be the dealbreaker that some are suggesting if your goals are not particularly extreme.

that said, installing anything KYB makes for the front of the car is a waste of time and/or money, as they don't make anything other than a stock replacement for the strut inserts that volvos use. this means you may find your sport springs to cause undesired bounce in the front end. this may only be moderately irritating on straight roads, but this can be dangerous if say, your (inexperienced?) son were to hit a bumpy patch of road while mid-corner, especially in wet weather.

i'm not saying that it will, i'm merely throwing it out there.

OK so you read in this thread then that I bought this car from an experienced multi Volvo owner, right? He advised me on parts based on budget. SHock info noted, but thy are on the car and can't be returned. The existing exhaust on the car is shot with rust holes and ****ty hangers. So I jumped the gun with info from a guy I trust, lets get over that. I'm not going to put any larger turbo on this car. I don't want it to gogogo, did any one read the thread? I'm not repeating posts, It's getting tiring.

Read my posts. Still no Answer on how you get 3" DP on a conical housing. HELLO!

THanks for the link to wheel gallery, I really appreciate that. Now all this being said, and resaid for crying, out loud, is this how you guys always deal with a newb? I'm gonna scrap the damn thing and go back to a FWD, at least I know my **** around those cars, and I get reasonable responses on VS. I asked a couple of simple questions about rims and wheels, and I usually would give a rough outline on whats already up with the car, but that was a mistake.

Wanna make it easier for idiots like me? Wheres the stickies/pinned info on exhaust and common build mistakes? I read everything I could on this board about RWD, and there is nothing. They way some of you guys present this stuff it should be common knowledge, yet I see no references or links yto vendors. I hate to say it, but VS kicks your ass on this. Thats not so, I have to say it, not hate to.

Thanks a gain, for all your time, sorry if I came off thin skinned, but you need to revise your site and your attitudes.

I'm not a patient man, and I'm not the brightest , but I'm not a dope either.

member thelostartof sells 3" everything. he is the man. but he is very busy so be prepared for a lead time on his parts if he doesn't have a downpipe handy.

for the do it yourself, you can just weld a 3" to the stub of the original conical flange right behind the turbo if you want. you can fill it in with weld if your patient or you can buy a flare somewhere online.

also, we are RWD, we dont do 'vendors' the way FWD does.

exhaust and chips: thelostardof
most things: IPD
replacement parts: FCPgroton
Awesomethings: trianglesunlimited and R-sport international.

Rather intentionally this board doesn't have a vendors section. we prefer legitimate parts and vendors to spread by recomendation rather than sponsorships of complete B.S. and we have driven a few of the lesser vendors off the board.

Also, we are not in agreement on many topics, so a 'stage 1', stage 2, stage 3 mentality does not exist here. and thats why I like it.

Last edited:
I'm familiar with thelostartof, he used to be a regular on VS. I also have dealt with all the vendors you mentioned, multiple time to the tune of thousands of dollars for my 3 Volvos. I deffer to RWD experts because I am not one. I have done extensive maintance and modifications to my 855T5, Including Turbo and exhaust upgrades, ECU tuning and suspension, The physics and science of it all is deep in my brain. What good does welding a 3" pipe onto the most restrictive section of the DP do? Like I said I'm keeping the 2.5" parts, I can see no future advantage to the hassle of returning all these parts for 3". I have yet to get an estimate for labor from my welder guy, so I'm sure no matter that with parts and labor the exhaust will cost me at least $500.

This thread is played out and redundant. Close it.

You asked for advice and you got it. The only part of this thread that's 'played out and redundant' is the OP (you) disregarding good advice. If you're not interested in hearing about what works on these cars, then why did you post in the first place?

and thus the cavernous divide of VS and TB continues on a level similar to the fundamental differences of democrat vs. republican.

You asked for advice and you got it. The only part of this thread that's 'played out and redundant' is the OP (you) disregarding good advice. If you're not interested in hearing about what works on these cars, then why did you post in the first place?

I asked about rims and wheel and got slammed for going 2.5" instead of 3". Then you get personal? Will a 2.5" not work? Whats the gain, you got dyno sheets to prove it?

ITS MY SONS CAR! I DON"T NEED A MILLION LBS OF BOOST OR TORQUE! READ THE DAMN THREAD!!

Basically, **** off.

and take 740 weapon with you. I do see the difference in the sites, you guys think you got the market cornered on car knowledge? You don't think i realize more air flow and more exhaust flow arnt better for and inducted engine? What do you take me for? Never mind, I can only imagine. You stay here and control your weird little RWD domain, and I'll go to the stupid VS site and get info from folks who arent so pretentious.

And I'm not a Republican, I'm your worst nightmare, I'm a conservative Constitutionalist.

Damn hippies, go grow some pot and whine about prop 8 some more.

Too bad, I did get some helpful advice and links via PM, from other members, and they actually apologized for some of the behavior and attitudes displayed in this thread. You got trashed by your own members, my friends.

Thanks for not much. I'll be back to torture you again some day.

Well, I think that went smoothly.

To the OP, it sounds like you're making the equivalent of a Swedish V6 Camaro for your son's first car, which isn't a bad idea to my mind. Inexpensive, looks good, sounds neat, safe, but not so fast that he can't learn to drive it before he has enough experience. Makes sense to me.

To that end, your choice of 2.5" exhaust for your son's car should be fine. No, it doesn't have ultimate power potential, but it'll keep him out of trouble while he's learning and sound better than stock. On a side note, that "S" bend tip on the car is there to cancel out exhaust noise resonance that the wagons generate at highway speeds due to the long straight pipe that runs under the body. Try your exhaust out without it if you like, but in my experience you get a really annoying drone on the freeway that the S kills with minimal restriction.

As for wheels, there's someone selling a set of IPD's RWD offset Pegasus that should work nicely without breaking the bank. With 245's on them, you may need to roll the fender lips to avoid rubbing with the lowering springs, I'd ask the seller about their experience.

Keep what you have already bought, especially if you can't return it. Is it the best of the best? Probably not. Will it suffice? Probably yes. When the parts you have already bought become restrictions/setbacks to the car's overall performance, you have room to upgrade, and you and your son can both do work on the car again. Sounds like a good start to a project to me.

The car should work pretty well, especially on a budget.

Heck, this project is for his son! I don't see much value in putting a monster in the hands of a young driver at this stage of the game.:roll: The parts for the most part are bought, the advice has been given, and let's see if things work out.:nod: As for snow tires, if our OP is still with this for some reason, I've had good luck with Blizzaks and Michelin.

Now, thank you for post #36 thru #38, you guys understand, and proves there are good folks here. Thats all I asked about. We have done extensive shopping on IPD and FCP.

Mike you are nothing but a trouble maker. I shoulda bought your silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back