home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > General > showroom > projects & restorations

Old 10-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #601
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Yeah.. And when they dont finish their project till next thursday they have to shutdown the business and so on.. ^^
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 03:59 AM   #602
towz-T
EL hipo explosive

Guys, get a YouTube channel, get someone you know who can work with a camera. Bamse's turbo underpants gets 150k views per video for a half finished product( and it's in Finnish). If I wouldn't love my job so goddamn much, I'd come over and do it myself.
'89 745 B204GT <= project moneypit
my introduction thread that i am desperately trying to keep alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bondo View Post
cuz on turbobricks, posting about something and not doing it counts as quitting a project halfway through. Quitting a project halfway through counts as finishing it.

Yay you finished it!
towz-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 04:44 AM   #603
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Thank you everyone for the kind words, both Karl and I really appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VQ View Post
Is a haltech out of the price range too? I know they are expanding thier range both up and down in features and cost. Though considering the work done to this, I'm suprised you've limited your budget on the ecu...
First of all, this entire project is definitely on a budget. Doing it jointly between the two of us allows for more flexibility in expenditure than if either of us were doing it individually. That being said not a dollar is spent without due consideration to how much value it adds to the finished product. Just because something is more expensive doesn't mean it's better or adds more value.

Haltech suffers from the same affliction as AEM, Life Racing, Pectel, etc. None of them allow for user definable triggering arrangements. I don't want to be beholden to a manufacturer to add trigger support. On top of that the Elite 2500 only has support for one drive by wire channel and one CAN channel. The Link G4T has two of each and much more flexible CAN support - not just limited to pricey expansion modules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
I just figured out why you guys love those cross braces! :-)
Hah, well not sure that has anything to do with it. Experience with aerospace engineering at work certainly has influenced the project quite a bit though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by towz-T View Post
Guys, get a YouTube channel, get someone you know who can work with a camera. Bamse's turbo underpants gets 150k views per video for a half finished product( and it's in Finnish). If I wouldn't love my job so goddamn much, I'd come over and do it myself.
Not interested in a youtube channel or videos. To me that's just another project and I already have enough of those.
Alex Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:39 PM   #604
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Buchka View Post
Not interested in a youtube channel or videos. To me that's just another project and I already have enough of those.
Maybe you should work out a deal with our resident cinematographer. He might be able to put together a FRC video in exchange for machining lessons...
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 01:05 AM   #605
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.

Episode 1: Working on the frame
Notch tube, test fit, doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, test fit, doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, test fit, doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, test fit, doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, it fits, notch other side, test fit, it doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, test fit, doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, test fit, doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, test fit, doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, tube is too short, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, scratch heads for 30 minutes, make new tube, repeat all of the above, it's also too short, "**** it, fill the gap with weld, no one will notice". Repeat for next tube.
Episode length: 6 hours. Visible progress: None.

Episode 2: Working on the uprights
Open CAD software, open netflix on other monitor, spend 15 minutes deciding between Under Siege 2 or Time Cop, spin the model for a while, make some solid bodies, spin the model for a while, get distracted by movie for 20 minutes, spin the model some more, look up fastener sizes on McMaster, get distracted by their vast selection of jib cranes, sketch some geometry, pause movie, open youtube, oh a new episode of that thing you like is up, watch intently for 30 minutes, stop kidding yourself and close the CAD software, finish last 15 minutes of the youtube video, it's 2am, go to sleep.
Episode length: 8 hours. Visible progress: None. Actual progress: None.

And so on.

Oh yeah, we'll rake it in.
Old 11-01-2016, 01:43 AM   #606
Tom Wiley
Board Member

^lol. Have you seen Project Binky? It's basically what your described.
Tom Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 08:40 AM   #607
Stiggy Pop
Board Member

That would make a great montage though
Old 11-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #608
yacko

I am very happy to know that I am not the only person who gets distracted while I am supposed to be "working" by Netflix and Youtube, or other things to read/buy. Actually pretty much anything besides what I am supposed to be doing...
yacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 03:36 PM   #609
Quin
ಠ_ಠ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Buchka View Post
Notch tube, test fit, doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, test fit, doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, test fit, doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, test fit, doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, it fits, notch other side, test fit, it doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, test fit, doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, test fit, doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, test fit, doesn't fit, grind a little bit off, tube is too short, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu, scratch heads for 30 minutes, make new tube, repeat all of the above, it's also too short, "**** it, fill the gap with weld, no one will notice". Repeat for next tube.

Open CAD software, open netflix on other monitor, spend 15 minutes deciding between Under Siege 2 or Time Cop, spin the model for a while, make some solid bodies, spin the model for a while, get distracted by movie for 20 minutes, spin the model some more, look up fastener sizes on McMaster, get distracted by their vast selection of jib cranes, sketch some geometry, pause movie, open youtube, oh a new episode of that thing you like is up, watch intently for 30 minutes, stop kidding yourself and close the CAD software, finish last 15 minutes of the youtube video, it's 2am, go to sleep.

And so on.

i would watch this for at least a while.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:07 PM   #610
Texas240
Prius Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Buchka View Post

And so on.

You guys can work off of my production company and send my cut to "insert offshore account address here"
Old 12-17-2016, 06:20 AM   #611
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Things are still happening. Added some joggles in the rear lower rails to clear the differential:

Notched and welded in the X brace in the main backstays. Fitting these tubes was a pretty tough job and required some creativity. Ended up wrapping a mockup tube in spaghetti to make a template for how to trim the end of the tube. There are purpose made tools that do this exact thing but getting the right one at 6pm on a sunday isn't easy so we had to improvise:

Got the foot plates for the front stays welded in. This one came out ok, still need more practice. Also did a whole bunch of welding on the chassis, there is much more to do though.

Engine and trans mounts were next but in order to make those we had to get the accessories mounted up to know which threaded bosses would be available. Started with the alternator brackets:

Karl and I machined the first of two power steering brackets last night. Fiddly little thing, took some creative work holding:

New serpentine pulleys for the alternator and power steering are in the rough design stage right now. Need to finish mounting the power steering pump so we can measure for the correct offset and implement that into the pulley designs.
Old 12-17-2016, 08:20 AM   #612
mopar318
Board Member

Looks great. What machine are you using? Looks like a BP with cnc?

1989 244 with pLAID recaros
1980 242
XC90 Yamaha rumbles edition (the save 'em from the crusher rig)

mopar318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #613
JohnMc
PV Abuser

You can't use spaghetti as a structural member in your roll cage!!!
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 09:54 AM   #614
PeaceEngineered
Sarcastic Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
You can't use spaghetti as a structural member in your roll cage!!!
True, but the zip ties legitimize it! Haha
Nice work. Always look forward to the updates on this project.
Old 12-17-2016, 07:58 PM   #615
Duder
His Dudeness, El Duderino

Were those motorsport zip ties on the spaghetti? I'd expect nothing less.
Duder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:42 PM   #616
BillyMaysHere
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
I was gonna say something about that. Maybe upgrade to angle hair pasta to match the quality of the zipties
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forg View Post
Was a sandals-and-socks elbow-patch-cardigan-wearing bearded college-professor 10mph-under-the-limit-in-the-fast-lane typical Volvo buyer from 1993 really caring about some sort of limited edition numbering?
BillyMaysHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 10:01 PM   #617
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar318 View Post
Looks great. What machine are you using? Looks like a BP with cnc?
Thanks. You nailed it, just a bridgeport with a Centroid M400 control. I'm not too thrilled with bridgeport mills in general, or the control on there but they do the job adequately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duder View Post
I can neither confirm nor deny the particulars of those zipties.

Swung by the shop today and bolted on the power steering pump. Bracket doodad seems to work fine. Designing the lower bracket will be interesting, the geometry will end up being fairly complex.

Old 12-18-2016, 12:48 AM   #618
Mueller
Board Member

Brackets look very nice, I am however disappointed by the use a different colored bolt on the alternator unless that is the flash doing that

Jack, I think you really need this and you have the parts I need....
Mueller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 05:13 PM   #619
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mueller View Post
Brackets look very nice, I am however disappointed by the use a different colored bolt on the alternator unless that is the flash doing that
That's a blue tinted metric screw, it was the only finish mcmaster had for that length and diameter.

Designed the lower power steering bracket. It's a fairly complicated part to machine and since I didn't want to burn an entire day making something that wouldn't work I had a friend of mine 3d print it for mock up. Looks like it needs a bit of clearancing around the the upper alternator mount but otherwise should work great.

Made a bunch of progress on the engine mounts. Started on the drivers side with this tube and sheet contraption.

For the drivers side I made up some more tube stubs and attached them to suitable bosses on the engine, then connected the points with tubing.

Overall not the prettiest parts in the world but they are fairly light and will do the job. They both attach to some bolt-down machinery isolator mounts from McMaster.

Also started on the transmission mount. This will get some additional bracing and uses the same isolators as the engine mounts.

Old 01-09-2017, 02:23 AM   #620
volvobrage
Board Member

I think the engine mounts look beatiful!!
Really love this project!
Stå på
volvobrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 04:05 PM   #621
Sander
Good news everyone!

Great work as always! I like your solution for the engine mounts. So basically the only difficulty with mounting that V8 in a 740 or 240 would be the starter motor sticking out the wrong way?
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:15 PM   #622
Alex Buchka
8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sander View Post
Great work as always! I like your solution for the engine mounts. So basically the only difficulty with mounting that V8 in a 740 or 240 would be the starter motor sticking out the wrong way?
Thanks!

The starter is one of many difficulties. The drivers side engine mount interferes with the OEM water pump which we aren't using. All the water plumbing for the engine comes out of the back of the heads and block, the throttle body also points in the wrong direction. The mechanical integration is definitely non-trivial, same goes for electronics. Unless you delete VVT there aren't many ECU's out there for mortal money that can run the engine.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:15 AM   #623
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

VEMS can
http://vems.hu/vt/help/v3/v3_camshaf...e_control.html
Old 01-12-2017, 02:21 AM   #624
Karl Buchka
Never go full retard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
Nope, sorry. Read more closely. VEMS can only handle closed loop position control of two cams.
Karl Buchka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:29 AM   #625
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

ah.. i see.. thx for the heads up..