• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 M47 questions

maxman142001

I like turtles
dumb question:

im installing a M47 hdro setup on my 1991 745 turbo with my getrag swap. I have never seen a complete setup in the car. I am curious on how the clutch fork returns to the normal "rest" position when the clutch is not engaged? I do not see a spring that is used like on the cable M46 setups. The slave cylinder doesnt use any clips to secure it to the fork either. Also what keep the fork attached to the throw-out bearing? I have used VADIS for exploded veiws but cant find anything that can answer my questions.

Thanks in advance!

I am curious on how the clutch fork returns to the normal "rest" position when the clutch is not engaged?

Spring Tension...

Pressure Plate >> Throwout Bearing >> Clutch Fork

I do not see a spring that is used like on the cable M46 setups.

I am pretty sure that spring was optional (originally included, later made optional). I have ordered a couple of them in my life. Luckily, I have always had a decent Volvo Parts guy. The first time I have ordered one from a "new" dealership, I always get asked why.

Anyway, that spring (as I am told) is only to increase the tension on the clutch pedal if the customer requests it.

I install it so that my mongo left paw doesn't torch the clutch while it periodically chills on the clutch pedal ;-)

The slave cylinder doesnt use any clips to secure it to the fork either.

It is machined to accept a circlip on the fork side of the mounting boss IIRC. Pressure in the hydraulic system and the tension from the pressure plate work together to keep the plunger firmly pressed against the clutch fork.

Also what keep the fork attached to the throw-out bearing?

These two pieces are bound together by two pins in the fork that the throwout bearing catches on. When the clutch fork is placed over the input shaft and bolted down, the throwout bearing is trapped behind the fork (more or less - it can fall out if not careful...)

Back