• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Orange 75 242 V8 Swap

Looks great. Color and wheels! You are going to have to do a write up on the wheels.
Sorry to hear about the oil leak...

I haven't painted them yet, the tape was just a mockup. I am trying to figure out the best way to put a consistent paint stripe on the wheels... I am thinking about putting them on a turntable of some kind, and using a paint brush. Because if I try and mask a circle, it won't be perfect and it will look like wobbly crap when it's rolling.

I also need to figure a method for attaching the hubcaps, since the stock mounts will not fit. But first, I need to deal with that oil leak, and about a million other little things. And get the white car sold.

I believe the "turntable" you're looking for is available at the front spindle....

I was thinking about actually jacking up one rear wheel, putting it in drive with the engine running. I've polished wheel lips that way and it worked killer! But I think that it might be easier to paint it if the wheel was horizontal rather than vertical.

Either way, what kind of paint would you use?

Get some of this stuff and a squirrel hair striping brush:

41k5NPCf8LL._SY300_.jpg

For an area the size you're talking about painting, best to spray it. One shot is good for pinstripes, and flows pretty well, but a quick masking job, then spray bomb (I'd go with white plastidip myself for this).

For an area the size you're talking about painting, best to spray it. One shot is good for pinstripes, and flows pretty well, but a quick masking job, then spray bomb (I'd go with white plastidip myself for this).

I know what you're saying, but have you ever tried to mask a clean circle? It's not that easy, and if it's done badly it'll look all wobbly when it's driving down the road. I agree with you that Plastidip would be a great choice. The rubbery thickness would add to the intended look.

I'll try a few methods, but right now I'm really liking the idea of pinstriping, plus I already have a pinstripe brush. Either that, or I might spin the wheels and mark them with a pencil, and then do my best to mask the circle. Good news is that if I screw it up, I can just paint over it and try again.

You could look into getting the fattest pinstriping brush available, and maybe doing 3 or 4 adjacent stripe passes. Should work out OK. Striping is fun too!

I saw that too! They're not referring to me, but I'm tempted to go get some tail lights.

Maybe this could help with the wheels

http://www.tapeworks.com/stripeitall/

That's pretty slick.

I drove the car over the hill to work yesterday, and even though it made it there and back safely, I'm actually a bit disappointed. To be fair, this was the first drive and that's where you discover what needs to still be done, or re-done. But the list is just a lot longer than I expected.

The exhaust is way too loud and drones inside the car. I'm not sure how much of that is due to the lack of sound deadening in the '75, because it's not really that loud outside the car. But it's not comfortable to be in the car after 15 minutes or so on the freeway.

I don't think the overdrive is engaging, because the engine sits at a pretty high RPM at 65mph. So I need to troubleshoot the 4L60E... but don't really want to spend money on it because I'd prefer a T56. I hope it's just a linkage adjustment issue, or a programming issue in the engine computer, or something...

And then because of the urethane motor mounts, it rattles the hell out of the car. The window regulators are buzzing inside the doors from the engine vibrations. It's making me wonder if it's possibly missing on a cylinder or 5, but I don't have any engine codes. Ultimately, it looks like I will build some rubber motor mounts, hopefully using the stock LS or LQ mounts.

It also appears that the rear main is leaking, which sucks worst of all, because I really don't want to pull it back apart in my driveway. what's strange is that the leak has gone from fairly significant to very minor, only leaving a quarter sized spot on the ground now.

And I also seem to have an issue with belt alignment with the ICT accessory relocation brackets, because it shredded and then threw the belt the first time it was revved above 4K. I measured the alternator, idler pulley, and power steering pump about 1/8 further forward than the crank pulley, water pump pulley, and tensioner. I've emailed ICT to see what's up and am waiting to hear back.

It has a bunch of worn out suspension bushings, so it's a little bit terrifying in turns with bumps, but I expected that. I have a full set of rubber suspension bushings for the whole car ready to be installed.

On the bright side, the brakes work pretty well! The car tracks very straight and feels relatively solid, and the seats aren't that bad. The original AM/FM VolvoSound radio and speakers work well, and all the lighting works as it should. Plus, my daughter absolutely loves it.

I'll work out the kinks with time.

The od works they just run at high rpm mine sits at 3k at about 70

No kidding? I wonder what RPM mine is actually sitting at. I should rig up a tach and see, but it feels and sounds higher than 3k. It certainly seems way more revved up than a Suburban should be when traveling 65mph on the freeway.

Back