• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oil on outside of Ebay intercooler but no crack??

maxitoman007

1987 740 turbo. I just recently noticed that the area around the inlet of my Ebay intercooler has become pretty dirty on the outside with what I believe is oil. The oil has also gotten on the rad sitting behind the intercooler even where it is above the intercooler (see pics and you'll get what I mean). I did a boost leak test and the intercooler held 20psi easily with no signs of leaking in the oily area (checked with soapy water). There is grime on the front and back of the intercooler in this area, however there is no oil on the end tank of the intercooler on that side. The grime begins at the fins of the intercooler (see pic). There is no grime on the backside of the rad. Any ideas? could it be coolant mixed with dirt I'm seeing that's seeping from the rad somewhere??

the shiny spots within the grime on the intercooler are where the soapy water from my spray bottle hit the area before the boost leak test.

MDrvnv0h.jpg

EsqFbW3h.jpg

weRhmDjh.jpg

69QJfahh.jpg

Looks like normal road grime if nothing is leaking I wouldn't worry, it (the grime) could even be something left on it from manufacturing or a shipping preservative like a oil or welding flux clean it and see if it returns

I think the hose clamp on that side should be checked, as well as the hot side connection. Looks like oil from the turbo being blown across the front of the IC to me.

Looks like normal road grime if nothing is leaking I wouldn't worry, it (the grime) could even be something left on it from manufacturing or a shipping preservative like a oil or welding flux clean it and see if it returns

That’s promising, don’t understand how it would have gotten on the left side only of the rad though. And not on it’s back side.

I think the hose clamp on that side should be checked, as well as the hot side connection. Looks like oil from the turbo being blown across the front of the IC to me.

That was my first thought also. However I totally isolated the intercooler and it’s commections for a boost leak test and it all held pressure fine. Also if what you suggest is occurring I’d expect to see the grime on the end tank on that side however this is not the case.

Is that license plate regulation size

Haha. Definitely not. Every brick needs character right?

Last edited:
Just occurred to me that maybe I sprayed something in that area that road grime clung to. Possibly during a boost leak test hence the location? Just an idea. Don?t know what I could have sprayed though. Also still doesn?t explain why it?s not on the end tank unless it was ?smooth? enough for it to run off or something.

Because the radiator has a similar pattern behind the intercooler, I'm pretty sure that you have a leak.

Are you testing hot or cold? While I would not think it would get too hot, aluminum does have a way of hiding small issues when cold. Just a thought. That is all I have.

Because the radiator has a similar pattern behind the intercooler, I'm pretty sure that you have a leak.

Could you elaborate on the kind of leak you are suggesting? A boost leak? Coolant leak? etc.

Are you testing hot or cold? While I would not think it would get too hot, aluminum does have a way of hiding small issues when cold. Just a thought. That is all I have.

I was testing cold. Never thought of this, maybe boost leak testing at en even higher pressure could compensate for temperature fluctuations?

As an alternate thought, do you have a clear path to your air filter, or does it draw mostly through the dirty corner of the intercooler? Does the grime wrap around the gaps between body and IC? What's the hood above look like?

As an alternate thought, do you have a clear path to your air filter, or does it draw mostly through the dirty corner of the intercooler? Does the grime wrap around the gaps between body and IC? What's the hood above look like?

That is a good thought although my intake sits low in the front passenger side and takes air in through a flap cut open in the bottom sheet metal in that area. No grime on the hood in that area.

If it's reassembled and running, wrap a clean white cloth around the intercooler inlet pipe covering the rubber inlet hose and go for a drive. From the grime pattern, it looks like it's roughly in a circle spraying from the end of the hose.

If it's reassembled and running, wrap a clean white cloth around the intercooler inlet pipe covering the rubber inlet hose and go for a drive. From the grime pattern, it looks like it's roughly in a circle spraying from the end of the hose.

The oily rag mod?

Where have I heard that before?

Ohhh that's clever. I'll give that a shot once its driving again. As for now I have a jankey wire tuck and some short circuits to fix...

Back