• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

744 tranny swap

hayzcustoms

i hope i am not posting a redundant question but i have a 1990 744 non turbo auto. i am looking to switch it to a manual. i know i have the crank sensor currently what year 740 740 would i have to get the setup (pedals, tranny driveshaft ect) out of?

thanks
nick

GTJordan said:
You need an M46 from a 7 series car (or an m47). Its a few inches longer

Jordan

whut? :???: I know there's someone out there (search for janice renee?) who's used an older steel 240 M46 in his 740.. I believe the only difference was the rear flange...

The M46 shift cage and linkage are different between the 740 and 240, on an M46 this is external. As far as I know you just have to swap the cage and linkage to use any 79-91 M46. I don't think there are any other differences in the trasnmission itself to make it hook to the driveshaft for a 740, provided you ahve a 740 M46 driveshaft. I have a 740 cage, it is a big ugly looking thing with long bars welded to bolt bosses. There are more desirable versions of the M46, than some. The Iron case is supposed to be fairly tough, though the alloy case with the type P OD found in post 86 740's (not sure if it is just turbos that got this trans) is supposed to be equally strong and lighter, with a better OD.

The driveshafts for an AW71, M46, and the M47 are all different lengths.
So make sure you get the driveshaft off the donner car if it is a 700. A 240 M46 or M47 will work. You need to change the shift linkage over to a 700 style. If you do use a 240 transmission you will need to get a driveshaft made or find one from a 700 for that transmission.

ok i have many transmissions. i have a 240 m47, a 240 m46 and a 740 m46. will the driveshaft be the same if use the m47? i like the idea of a true five speed. is the driveshaft the same for a 240 as a 740 if not can i make it work? also what about the pedal assembly and bellhousing? any help in the matter would be much apprecaited.

thanks
nick

I'm running a 240 steely m46 in my 740ti, like was mentioned you just have to swap the linkage and cage for the tranny, plus the right drive shaft.

*edit* Although the M47 true 5 speed is nice, they are not as tough as the m46. Plus m47's supposedly had lubrication problems which can be lessened by overfilling with some good lube.

The driveshafts for an AW71, M46, and the M47 are all different lengths.
So make sure you get the driveshaft off the donner car if it is a 700. A 240 M46 or M47 will work. You need to change the shift linkage over to a 700 style. If you do use a 240 transmission you will need to get a driveshaft made or find one from a 700 for that transmission.

I second this...

...how do you post a pic WITHOUT a URL?

Back