• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

745 CD009 Transmission Swap Complete and Tested on track

rb92673

racecar
Just raced in the Buttonwillow 24 Hours of Lemons road race last weekend with a CD009 (actually a JK400) attached to my relatively stock '85 745 with B230FT. Car ran all weekend and transmission setup worked great.

My Lemons car was a test bed for a bunch of stuff Yoshifab is working on. We had the Yoshifab prototype 700 shifter, driveshaft adapter, transmission mount, and clutch. We also used the Deeworks adapter to connect the M46 bell housing.

We raced 14.5 hours, 224 laps, 560 miles, and 3,000+ shifts. We finished in 68th place out of 116 cars that actually turned laps. Out placement was mostly due to slow driving and leisurely pit stops.

I was typically in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear, never needing 6th. With the M46 I was typically in 3rd and 4th and sometimes would get to the top of 4th. I don't have the boost turned up so maybe in will see 6th some day. Closer ratio for the track and the shifting was so much nicer.

Josh at Yoshifab did all the designing and fabricating on this, but I am happy to answer any questions.

Nice! I was surprised this weekend when someone said the CD009/JK4* has a 1:1 5th. Despite me having one, I'd never actually looked at the ratios, I just ASSumed it was like most other 6 speeds, 1:1 in 4th (or close), two OD gears.

What rear end ratio do you have? The 3.73 I have might end up being a bit too (numerically) high, especially with a turbo V8 spinning things.

Hows the shifting feel? 1 piece or 2 piece? I was using a 1 pc on my previous T5, but was pondering a 2 piece for the CD009.

I think the ratios are:
M46 Nissan
1 4.03 3.794
2 2.16 2.324
3 1.37 1.624
4 1.00 1.271
5 0.79 1.00
6 x.xx 0.794

I will need to compare my video of shifting on the same track between the M46 and Nissan to see if I was getting into the 5th gear 1:1 ratio faster than with the M46.

I am not sure which rear end I have, but I think it is the 3.5, not the 3.7.

Shifting was good. Much crisper than the M46. I don't know what a 1 or 2 piece is. JohnMC, aren't you putting one into a LS swapped 240? My shifter is further back than yours and attaches to the end of the transmission, not on top of that rectangular plate.

Josh at Yoshifab did all the designing and fabricating on this, but I am happy to answer any questions.

(sorry, missed this thread answering you in the ABS one)

Pictures? This seems like an education opportunity.

= Mike

Yeah, I left out 'driveshaft'. Awesome that Yoshifab is making the swap parts like that for the 7 series.

A 1 pc has some advantages (it's cheaper to have made) but clearance is a bit iffy with the whole length of it moving up and down. I guess it would be better with the CD009 since it's even longer than a T5?

I'd have to assume that the shift lever action will feel different on mine since it's using a different setup, I just meant in general, going into gears. Fitting it into the 240 required that top mount shifter, I guess a short rear shifter would work great on a 7/9.

How much tunnel bashing did you need to do? I have no idea if the tunnels are any wider on a 7/9. I had to make clearance on mine where the two sections of the trans bolt together, it's a LOT fatter than the T5/M47 was back there. And where those shifter detent springs are at the rear of the trans, a little more bashing there.

Shifting was smooth like a modern transmission should be. Never any grinding, but we weren't hammering it between gears either. The prototype shifter I was using had a really short throw.

Josh said the 7/9 tunnel is a bit bigger than the 2, he didn't have to bash to hard on it to get it to fit.

This is great information, I was hoping some more would come out on the CD009. I plan on doing a CD009 swap into my my next project 240 wagon and understand there will be tunnel clearance issues and other modifications needed and pretty set on going with the CD009 even if it means cutting the tunnel out of a 7-9 series.

The bashing I did was not all that excessive. Part of what I did to limit the bashing, however, was *carefully* (obviously) take an angle grinder to some spots on the transmission where the clearance was tight, but there was some sort of non-functional chunk of the transmissions sticking out.

Also worth noting - the CD009 is just the last version of the CD00* transmission, by reputation the earlier versions are not really worth messing with - the syncros tend to fail. It was a mounting warranty issue, thus they finally redesigned it and may have overbuilt it a bit, resulting in the CD009.

The only issue is... it can be really hard to tell a CD009 transmission from any of the earlier versions. There's a white sticker on it, but that's very commonly missing. 'Known' CD009 versions tend to sell for significantly more than a '350Z' transmission. The model year can help, but many early cars got warranty replacements, but even then, the warranty replacement might not have been a CD009.

But the JK versions? They're *all* newer. You don't have to try to tell the lemons from the good ones. Anything from a G37 or a 370Z is good. I think there are some small differences in them vs. the CD series, the adapter I got (Collins) has a different kit for the two.

Also, it may have changed by now, but when I bought mine (JK41c?) they were still selling for significantly less than the 'known CD009' boxes.

Last edited:
Mine came out of a 370z/G37. It also had the integrated clutch slave which was removed and the rev match module which we ignored. We also cut/grinded off some of the spots that were sticking out.

Mine came out of a 370z/G37. It also had the integrated clutch slave which was removed and the rev match module which we ignored. We also cut/grinded off some of the spots that were sticking out.

Is your motor mounted slanted or vertical?

My JKxx is going in a 1990 740 along with a B6284t engine swap. I don't know if that setup will move the tranny in the tunnel either towards the front or the rear.

Which part of the transmission demanded that you modify the tunnel in order to fit properly?

Is your motor mounted slanted or vertical?

My JKxx is going in a 1990 740 along with a B6284t engine swap. I don't know if that setup will move the tranny in the tunnel either towards the front or the rear.

Which part of the transmission demanded that you modify the tunnel in order to fit properly?

My B230FT is mounted however a stock engine is mounted. Transmission is mounted square to the car. There were a few areas of the JKxxx that seemed like it may bump the tunnel so Josh gave it a few more millimeters of room.

My B230FT is mounted however a stock engine is mounted. Transmission is mounted square to the car. There were a few areas of the JKxxx that seemed like it may bump the tunnel so Josh gave it a few more millimeters of room.

I plan on cutting the tunnel off where it hits and making it wider in that area. As you can see the rear of this transmission is pretty fat.

42891241_10217001896495637_5229820198453772288_n.jpg

Back